View Full Version : Another animation test for comments

sealwoo
06-10-2008, 02:16 AM
please give me some advice.Thank you!
http://images22.51.com/6000/senwoo/b7a9a359323ea58e39c99241c9f6effd.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa1pYjD_Fws

schallerryan
06-10-2008, 02:38 AM
It doesn't look too bad. The most distracting thing there is the fact that the characters "freeze" their movement at times (this is especially noticeable with the boy with glasses). It makes them appear too "robotic", and hurts the illusion of life, because nobody can remain perfectly still. One thing you could do to help is make the character continue moving very slowly instead of freezing completely still. I hope this helps.

PureMoxi
06-10-2008, 08:55 PM
First, and I do not mean this in a mean way, but you likely should be posting this in the "WIP/Critique:Animation:" forum if you are looking for a bit more critique and to be true to the forum.

That said, I think it would help if you could tell us at what stage you consider this animation. Are we in blocking, a refined pass or final pass? I think that would help to frame the situation and assess the proper critique to provide. Alright...sorry to be all preachy.

I think it is a good start, and although I side with schallerryan regarding the stillness, I think there is quite a bit more to work on. Not in a bad way, just in a way that requires more observation and more refinement. I would consider this to be a blocking phase without you telling me more. I personally think you need to get back to the reference or simply act it out more and be sure to video tape yourself from the same angle as you have set up in the scene. That would likely make it easier to compare for you. I think you will find that some of your posing will seem a bit contrived or maybe too mechanical once you, yourself act it out a few times without concern for how silly you think you feel or look while doing it. Personally, I always look silly...comes with the territory. :) You might even have a friend do it since he/she would likley have no vested interest or concern about how they move -- after all, you might overthink it without a bit of contrast from a friend since you are already immersed in this animation. Memorize the words and act it out until the timing is something that is just automatic. Then look over your video and take bits and pieces that you like. Thumbnail out poses of yourself. I think you will see the difference.

Then worry about the stillness, the line flow, the silohuette, the contrast, arcs...all that. Aside from the advice of schallerryan, I think one of the most noticeable things is the fact that the guy moves like he is hinging in one direction on his waist. Back and forth. Back and forth. He's stuck in one axis. A hinge of a fellow. People (or in this case, personified roosters) don't hinge at their waist (not all the time, anyway) and especially not when they are as riled up as this rooster is supposed to be. He would definitely be shifting his weight from side to side and need to have small weight recoveries transitioning from one pose to the next since he is exerting a bit of energy in his exasperated form.

Overall, I think once you do a bit more reference, it will open your eyes to the refinements that are necessary. Just observe and pay attention to how each part of your body moves, reacts and flows as you make your way through the dialogue. I think if you take the time to review your reference and actually observe one major part of your body at a time that you will notice a lot more information that you need to incorporate into your animation. Give it a try. I look forward to seeing more.

R

sealwoo
06-15-2008, 05:35 PM
Thank you guys very much for your brilliant advice.First I am sorry for I post it in the wrong place for I was so eager to get comments that I didn't notice their was a WIP column.I will modify the work as you told.And hope I will get a better performance.

CGTalk Moderation
06-15-2008, 05:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.