PDA

View Full Version : Vray, pflow mesher materials problem

two.oh
06-09-2008, 11:36 PM
I'm trying to apply random images as textures on a per particle basis to my mesher using multi/sub-object materials. For some reason, The materials seem to be blending into each other as opposed to assigning a random id to each particle. I'm also getting some weird artifacting in my renders as well.

I'm assuming I have something setup wrong in my render settings or pflow setup.

As you can see, there's also some strange artifacting that's causing it to blend strangely. I took my samples all the way down, but there's something else wrong.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

two.oh
06-10-2008, 05:34 PM
I actually discovered the source of the problem. Apparently pflow is assigning multiple meshes on a per particle basis, but it is random, so some of my particles have 2 meshes attributed to them, while others have up to 4.

Does anyone know how to control it so there is only one mesh per particle assigned?

*EDIT
Blah!@@#! I discovered that I need a 'particle per vertex' operator. The only thing is that it is only available with Particle Flow Tools #3 Pro and its $495!! Does anyone know of an alternative way?

charleyc
06-10-2008, 06:36 PM
Generally, if you have the exact number of particles to mesh verts, you set your Position Object Op to Vertex, then turn on Seperation and make sure that it is set to a value smaller than your closest Vertex on the mesh, it will work how you want.

two.oh
06-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Hmm, what do you mean by 'value smaller than your closest Vertex'?

I've tried it with separation, but it still seems to emit randomly.

charleyc
06-10-2008, 06:53 PM
Think of it as a series of constraints. One is constraining to Verticies, and the other constrains by distance. Since the Vertex constraint takes precedent, all verts will be forced to a vert location. Therefore any duplicates will exist in exacty the same place, so all you have to do is nudge the duplicate off the particle that is there (using Separation) but if you use a value that is too large, it will start confusing the setup because one constraint says use this vert and the other says don't put within this distance. So, all you have to do is make sure that the distance constraint is smaller than the closest set of verticies on the mesh to avoid one confusing the other. Generally I use a Separation value such as .1 or .01, but it depends on the model.

This sounds a lot more confusing than it is. Hope that helps.

two.oh
06-10-2008, 07:02 PM
Hmmm, well, my position object has it set to 'selected vertices', but when I change the separation, it doesn't do anything....

charleyc
06-10-2008, 07:07 PM
what is your Separation theshold set to?

two.oh
06-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Well, I'm just moving it constantly to see if it does anything. I even shut the events off and back on to see if it was a bug. Nothing. Weird?

CGTalk Moderation
06-10-2008, 07:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.