PDA

View Full Version : maya point constraint problem

Crakglagin
06-09-2008, 10:24 PM
Hi guys so I've ran into a problem in maya where I've created a previous rig of a character but didn't like how the initial freeze transformation on the nurbs curve controllers were oriented so therefore I decided to delete all of the previous constraint nodes (point & orient constraints) attached to the character and orient everything the way I want it to then re-constrainted them. The other constraints such as orient constraint worked but the point constraint didn't. Instead, it brought up the error message:

// Warning: Cycle on 'Skel_RMiddleArm.parentInverseMatrix[0]' may not evaluate as expected. (Use 'cycleCheck -e off' to disable this warning.)

Have anyone seen this message before and knows how to deal with this problem? I will be very grateful if someone can help. Thanks

SkullboX
06-09-2008, 10:33 PM
Simply put there is a 'dependency loop' in your rig. For example you have objects A, B and C. A influences object B, B influences object C, but then C somehow influences object A again, which doesn't (always) work.

Sometimes this warning isn't an actual problem for the rig, I've often build rigs with IK FK switches that displayed this warning, knowing it didn't screw up the rig... if you get the error with point and orient constraints, there's probably something wrong though. :)

Crakglagin
06-17-2008, 02:56 PM
But I've tried re-doing it over many times but it still gave me the same message. I first rigged the charecter for FK with the nurbs curves driving the orientation of the joints and the joints driving the point/position of the nurbs curves so that when the joints are influenced by the IK handle the nurbs curves move with the joints (I actually do the point constraint after the IK handle is added). After that I created the IK rig with an IK handle and a nurbs curve being the parent.

This worked the first time so I'm not sure why it wouldn't work the second time. I thought that it would have something to do with the history of the joints or the nurbs creating this problem but I've even tried restarting the whole thing from where the skin and the skeleton has just been binded and start adding the nurbs controllers, IK handels etc. from there in. So I'm completly confused.

If anyone can help with what step I did wrong or what I can change, that would be awesome. Thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
06-17-2008, 02:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.