PDA

View Full Version : Traxed Sprite Particles don't Render in Hardware Buffer Render and Worse

ShadowBlack65
06-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Hi! I'm working at an internship and I am making a Zelda Wind Waker styled Explosion. I used Sprites for the particles. I notice in my source file that it renders under Maya Hardware but not under the Hardware Render Buffer Window. When I import it into the master file for the rest of my group it has that same problem and after a while it refuses to render the particles when the camera is close. Only when I am far enough away that the explosion is almost a dot will it render. The distance it does this is not constant but it does always render when it is very far away. That specific problem never happens in my source file. I am using Maya 2008.

MikeRhone
06-10-2008, 06:33 AM
Hmmm... Have you checked your camera's near and far clip planes? Maybe set the near clip plane 100 times smaller than you have set currently, see if that fixes it...? This sounds a bit unusual... I think I would need more info to give a better guess.

ShadowBlack65
06-10-2008, 09:39 PM
Thank you very much for your response. The far and near clip planes suggestion unfortunately did not work. However I discovered that the sprite particles which are Traxed and Cached only render in one direction; opposite my scene camera. I tried turning the particles around. They still wouldn't render. Sprites are supposed to follow the camera. Though they follow the camera in the preview viewport, they obviously don't in the hardware render. Being cached I am starting to think that the coordinates are stored and forcing it to render like this. Its like the renderer is turning the sprite particles into a 2d plane that is only visible from a specific direction.

MikeRhone
06-11-2008, 12:19 AM
That sounds very unusual, as it is the nature of sprites to be viewable from all angles simultaneously. Are you definitely using sprites, or are you doing a sprite hack where you use planes instead of particles?

Also, what do you mean by "traxed"? I'm not sure I've heard that term before.

ShadowBlack65
06-11-2008, 01:23 AM
Oh sorry. The particle animation is partially controlled with the trax editor. It controls the changing colors of the clouds and the time the explosion is executed. I'm definitely using a particle emitter. The render type is set to sprites. Its strange. They render fine until I go through this process. It might be the particle caching or the trax editor that is causing the trouble. I don't understand how or why. It is very confusing. I could easily flip the scene around so you can see the sprite particles from that mandated direction but that would be too easy. If I run into this again I would like to know how to fix it.

MikeRhone
06-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Hmmm... I've never used the trax editor in combination with particles before. I'm not sure what the benefit is specifically, but I am intrigued. (I tend to 'rig' my effects similar to a character rig) As far as your actual issue, I'm at a loss. This is one of those time where I don't think I could figure it out unless I looked at the scene itself. I doubt the particle caching is the culprit, as I've never experienced what you have going on.

ShadowBlack65
06-13-2008, 12:31 AM
Still I appreciate your attempt to help. I am new to particles. The Windwaker Explosion was the first time with particles. However I realized in later simulations it was better to rig it. The Trax method though strange, might have some potential. However from what I experienced it may reap more problems than benefits. If u are curious about the trax particles I would have to do more research. Again Thankyou for your help!

MikeRhone
06-14-2008, 06:29 PM
Ya, I'll do some looking into that trax thing for sure. I don't know how far along you are in learning particles, but I put together a write-up some time ago on how I rig a particle system for animators. I don't know if any part of it would interest you, but if you want to glance at it be my guest:

http://www.wingman.ca/tutorials/mr_spriteRig.html

CGTalk Moderation
06-14-2008, 06:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.