PDA

View Full Version : Workflow Ncloth character clothing

ETCHA-SKETCH
06-08-2008, 11:15 PM
What is the best(smartest) method to apply clothing to characters.

What I mean is this;
Character is created in a t-pose without clothing.
It is animated in another program and returned to Maya via FBX format.

When the character enters Maya it is in it's animated position and not T-pose.
The clothes are created on a t-pose character.

How does one get the clothes to conform to the animated position of the character?

Do you create a blendshape animation from t-pose to the animated character position and then use the cloth at this point as it's start position ?

Is there some other method ? (Is this the right method at all?)

Your input is very much appreciatted !

john_homer
06-09-2008, 05:38 AM
When the character enters Maya it is in it's animated position and not T-pose.
The clothes are created on a t-pose character.

How does one get the clothes to conform to the animated position of the character?

duplicate the cloth output mesh
move it to position, this depends how you set it up, you should be able to do it relative to the root joint.
freeze transforms on it.
select the mesh and the cloth, set initial state from mesh.

,.j

eyesonlybob
06-09-2008, 04:01 PM
I've never messed with the FBX format, therefore I'm assuming that you can still adjust the characters rig after importing. If this is true, adjust your timeline back to something like negative 24. Key the characters manipulators back to the default T position and run the simulation for those 24 frames. Set the initial state of the nCloth at frame 1 and you should be good to go.

ETCHA-SKETCH
06-09-2008, 10:56 PM
Thank you both for your input and suggestions !

I will give both suggestions a try and see how well they work in the flow of things.

Again, Thank you very much !

CGTalk Moderation
06-09-2008, 10:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.