PDA

View Full Version : soft body simulation

curbsidebandit
06-06-2008, 11:52 PM
Hello,

So I’m experimenting with soft body simulation for the first time, and I need some help. Ultimately I want to apply simulation on a character’s skirt, but I’ve been testing out the process first. So the test has a cylinder with two bones enveloped inside, and around that I have another cylinder that I subdivided that is the fabric. Now I select all the points on the fabric geo except the top two rows and make soft body from selection. With the fabric still selected I apply a gravity force. I then reselect the fabric again and go modify-environment-set obstacle and select the enveloped geo, which is a stand in for an arm or leg. Under the soft body operator I check off ‘animatable deformation’ and ‘double face collision’. I hit play and away we go - it moves, but the enveloped geo pops through when I key it to bend like an arm would bend. Ok so I guess I have to up the sampling so the fabric deforms better around the arm geo. So I up it a little, and then even more. I finally set it to 60 and half way through my animation test the simulation stops, and I get a warning that says, ‘polymsh.polymsh: soft body muted due to physical limit violation; tune up parameters’. What limit have I violated - my ram or some preset it XSI? And if all I have to do to fix it is ‘tune up parameters,’ how do I go about doing this?

Like I stated in the beginning, I want a fabric simulation that doesn’t have the character’s body breaking through. If I setup the simulation wrong or missed something along the way I would appreciate any help.

ThE_JacO
06-07-2008, 11:03 AM
SBD works best for closed surfaces that have to deal with volume.
If you're after fabric simulation XSI's cloth or syflex are better choices. XSI's own cloth comes with every version, syflex is only essentials and avanced.

CGTalk Moderation
06-07-2008, 11:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.