PDA

View Full Version : Don't you just love it when....

DaveWortley
06-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Someone comes up to you and says,

"umm.. we're needing to change this option on all the bitmaps in the scene, is there a way to do it in scripting?"

Then you spend 2 mins thinking and do it in 3 lines of code :)

28 scenes x at least 20 textures would have been a massive bit of work to do by hand!

Combine it with Paul Neale's batch process script and it's done in a few minutes otherwise would have taken hours!

Cheers Paul ;)

Kramsurfer
06-06-2008, 04:54 PM
And they STILL don't let you go home early.... I would think you are done for the day personally.... grab some coffee (or a pint IN a coffee mug) , play whatever play things you have there most of the day (COD4, Chess and Ping Pong here) and leave shortly after lunch.... Job well done!

davestewart
06-06-2008, 04:59 PM
You must remember when presented with that kind of question to:

Suck in air sharply thorugh lips, whilst scratching chin and shaking head ponderously
Say something like "I'll have to do a bit of research on that one. Leave it with me..."
THEN, play COD4, Chess and Ping Pong (Guitar Hero here) for an hour or two
Present at end of day to thankful tecnophobes
Of course, I would NEVER do anything like that ;)

DaveWortley
06-06-2008, 05:08 PM
You know it would be nice to do that but just before I was asked to do said script my file corrupted whilst saving, and in the 15mins I spent researching, writing and showing everyone how to use and installing on machines max over-wrote my 3 autobackup files, I come back to my desk and go to get an auto-backup and... oh sh*t... no recovery save, original file is corrupt, 5 hours work down the drain! Just re-done it in 2.5 hours tho thankfully... So if i had taken the rest of the day off I'd have nothing to show for myself except 3 lines of code...

never mind...

Kramsurfer
06-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Thanks Dave; I'll need to rethink my work flow... by the number of posts I have this morning... I think it's obvious I've already done something amazing at work today... :-)

MoonDoggie
06-06-2008, 07:46 PM
And they STILL don't let you go home early.... I would think you are done for the day personally.... grab some coffee (or a pint IN a coffee mug) , play whatever play things you have there most of the day (COD4, Chess and Ping Pong here) and leave shortly after lunch.... Job well done!

So true; peronsally, I like to get faster at minesweeper and my world's toughest game skills are impressive.

-Colin

CGTalk Moderation
06-06-2008, 07:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.