PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu Panda :: Production Focus

PaulHellard
06-06-2008, 08:30 AM
Hi there,

The crew at DreamWorks stepped up to show CGSociety their work, after five years at the screens devising this fun story with some cool action. 'With DreamWorks, this team of animators and Jack Black, how could you go wrong?' one crew member was overheard saying....

Click the image to go read the story, and feel free to comment.

UPDATE: Markus Manninen, VFX Supervisor (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=165&t=640626) on Kung Fu Panda now live on Meet the Artist (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=165&t=640626).

http://features.cgsociety.org//images/plugs/feature/kungfupanda_featureplug.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/story.php?story_id=4549)

pOiNtPuShEr
06-06-2008, 11:13 AM
The design and environments in this movie are amazing. I picked up the art of book, and it looks like great work all around. Congrats to all involved. I'm going today!

Saw the movie in a packed IMAX theater (after the earlier Imax show was sold out no less) and just wow. Congrats again to all involved. A beautiful movie. I loved the old turtle. Great work.

ninjacore
06-06-2008, 12:50 PM
Boooo! dreamworks stole my kung fu themed panda game character i came up with when i was uni, around 2003 no less..hmm....lol, nah, its more of an inevitible coincedence. i could show off some images, but since they are rather embarrasing and utter shit, you'll have to take my word for it.
I played the game demo last night. Not too bad, apart from reminding me about my cursed uni project, it got me more intrested in seeing the movie. Jack Black makes me hope the dialog will be good, but hopefully not too yuppity and cliche. the characters look cool!

hampsty
06-06-2008, 01:20 PM
Just got back from the movie, I wouldn't spoil anything about the story, but one thing that made me felt while watching the movie is that Kung Fu Panda has got to be the best animated movie Dreamworks Animation ever come out with! :) (So far, that is, and looking forward for more) It was overall exciting and funny.

I'd like to comment more on the movie but maybe I will wait for the review thread.

RO
06-06-2008, 02:12 PM
saw it two days ago in special screening and I gota say the art work in this is badass. really well done I will not talk about the story becuase it just got out pretty much.

I would say it is a very good watch and has a lot of great moments in the movie.

One scene which I loved was with the great big sun background looking at mountains hazy orange light that was a beauty to see envios are amazing in this movie.

frothlord
06-06-2008, 03:30 PM
Damn, I want to see it just for the bridge scene now. Sounds great!

GOBEE
06-06-2008, 05:30 PM
Anyone know the specific software dreamworks used to model and animate this film? Very curious. Maya, XSI?

I'll go see this tonight.

megatronskeletor
06-06-2008, 05:36 PM
I'm pretty sure DW uses proprietary software primarily for animation & lighting. Their anim software is called 'Emo'. Maya is used for some effects animation and I'm guessing modeling and other various and sundry tasks.

bigbad
06-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Their anim software is called 'Emo'.

That makes me sad. ;(

I wonder when the movie comes to Sweden?

SmallPoly
06-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Their anim software is called 'Emo'.

That makes me sad. ;(

I know, right? So depressing. I'm gonna go listen to Linkin Park and cut myself.

jpiette
06-07-2008, 12:57 AM
HAPPY KUNG FU PANDA DAY EVERYONE!!! :thumbsup:

Rofideo
06-07-2008, 01:41 AM
It sounds like every great studio has their own software
But still working with the clasical programs we use :D

At least its look inspirational, yup and fun.

have a nice day and keep working comunity :thumbsup:

OFFTOPIC

C-mon Pals Emo´s jokes enough (well here in Mexico)
An Emo Mob Vs Pseudo Darks-punks gangs
The police come in, someting like the army or S.W.A.T. theam stop the mobs
... an then (Time 1:57´) A group of Hare krsnas Come in Singing and dancing
STOPING THE FIGTH!!!

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=PEpluhFUmBU

Too surreal

Alive
06-07-2008, 08:20 AM
DreamWorks did a really great job with this one! I loved it. Great Animation Story and Renderings!

Zerafian
06-07-2008, 04:44 PM
the animation was beautiful, imo one of dreamworks best pictures yet. I havent laughed so much in a long time.

flipnap
06-07-2008, 08:13 PM
great article but im totally confused..

Throughout, Wagner’s mantra was “ambient motion”, the importance of keeping the characters alive through subtle queues, be it breathing, or a lifted hand that was fighting against gravity no matter how strong the pose. “If you freeze something in CG, it just looks totally dead. Some shows require that; stylistically you want to go pose to pose and make it snappy, like in Madagascar.

but many many times ive seen entire parts of the body completely frozen except for key parts.. i mean, its done on purpose, its a style.. like the clip from the trailer where po is up on the rafters eating crackers and shifu walks in on him and he turns and says "dont tell monkey".. i studied that clip for an hour and they froze all kinds of stuff on him, and im talking "zeroed out".. so i dont understand why he would mention the "freezing looking dead" thing, when Dreamworks is pioneering the rule breaking on that one.. im not saying it looks bad, it looks awesome, its just a weird thing to say and it took me a bit off guard.. cuz like i said, DW is one of the first studios where they started completely freezing poses and body parts and making it look right... hmmm

FloydBishop
06-07-2008, 08:33 PM
You bring up a good point, Flipnap, but I think that in the scene you mention, it was done for comedic effect. What they are talking about in the article is not freezing poses in the animation overall.

Where it was done (freezing poses), it was done with great care, as to build up what was going on in the story at that moment. It wasn't a case of frozen poses as a time saver or anything like that.

So, which of you CGTalkers worked on this project? Come on into tthe thread and take a bow. You deserve it! This was a great film.

sternio
06-08-2008, 04:12 AM
"Ambient Motion" was definitely the note given the most. Dan is the man.

It's so cool to see such a positive response to this movie on CGtalk. Woo hoo!

flipnap
06-08-2008, 05:20 AM
It's so cool to see such a positive response to this movie on CGtalk

and pretty much everywhere.. the whole animation crew got to go on friday but i couldnt cuz i had to work.. they all had good smiles.. the kind that say to you "we got a secret and we aint tellin you".. ha ha.. everyone loved it.. course, ill be done by tuesday so im gonna go see it on the DLP screen.. which im sure wil blow my socks off with the art direction ive seen so far.. as an animator kudos to you guys, all the planets aligned on this one.. SKADOOSH!!

tonytrout
06-08-2008, 08:45 AM
I saw the trailer at the movies last week, and even with what little I saw, what grabbed my attention immediately was the fabulous animation, I was really impressed, looks like a great job. I guess its a must see if I can get my wife along to a kung fu movie or not.

MichaelZHsee
06-08-2008, 09:55 AM
just watched it last nite,an impressive work done by Dreamworks!very keen to see the Making of the movie.

bawhabmw
06-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Dan is the man indeed. So is Sternio. :)

tuovni
06-08-2008, 10:15 PM
I think the story promises a lot! But the thing that impresed me was the look, the photo...the look and feel is awesome!

PaulHellard
06-08-2008, 11:38 PM
UPDATE: Markus Manninen, VFX Supervisor (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=165&t=640626) on Kung Fu Panda now live on Meet the Artist (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=165&t=640626).

Click the LINK to Meet the Artist!!

Ozoka
06-09-2008, 04:29 AM
Just got back from watching it and it was beautiful. The beginning of the movie was sooo great. Great composition..and the 2d animation was sexy. Everyone should watch it.

harmonic01
06-09-2008, 04:37 AM
I saw it today for the second time at IMAX :D Totally loved it. The animation, acting and the fighting was super fun and inspirational. Congrats to all that worked on it. You all should be super proud. It's definitely one of my favorite animated features of all time now. There were sooo many funny moments that weren't cliche at all. I love the part where the turtle was blowing out the candles. So many great moments, I just can't express enough how much I loved it.

It's also great to see Jack Black's character come through in Panda's acting. :bounce:

PaulSchoeni
06-09-2008, 04:59 AM
So, which of you CGTalkers worked on this project? Come on into tthe thread and take a bow. You deserve it! This was a great film.

I was one of the modelers on the movie. I worked on it for almost two years and I had a great time. Very well run production, from top to bottom.

Thanks for all the great comments about the movie. I only played a very small part so I can't take any credit for its success, but its still very encouraging to hear such high praise, especially from fellow artists like you guys.

I think its success is good for both Dreamworks and the entire animation community. I'm excited for what the future holds in terms of upcoming animated films.

-Paul

jpiette
06-09-2008, 05:16 AM
I am also truly excited to read all of the positive reviews. I didn't work on the movie but I know everyone who did (I shared office space with them for a few months) and in general it's great to see such a fantastic reception for it. Everyone at DreamWorks sure is hyped up about it, and I'm glad to see everyone at CGTalk is as well. :applause:

Also, a little shout out to the lighters who worked on the film. They're always overlooked but so important to any movie. This one was a major doozy for them to finish but they cranked it out and did it with style. Love to all the CG lighters out there! :lightbulb

KOryH
06-09-2008, 05:17 AM
I am seriously proud of everyone who worked on it. AND a bit jealous.

Fantastic work.
And the greatest praise... even my wife wants to go see it now.
It may be because I haven't shut up about it for two years!

Anyway, great stuff.

simoncheng
06-12-2008, 12:06 AM
i would say an epic from dreamworks.
most of the scene is so memorial and awesome concept.
the whole film got lot of chinese culture in it.
it remind me the old skool kung fu movie.

heeeyaahhhh....

TheCheshireCat
06-13-2008, 05:46 AM
I didn't get to see the movie yet, but I really enjoy reading your articles, and this one in particular. It was also longer than most of the other ones I think.

Kirt
06-23-2008, 05:11 PM
I was a little late to get to see this one, but I must confess that this has got to be the best CG animated film that I have seen ... ever! Yes, even this Pixar fanboy is going to say it. Dreamworks kicked ass on this film. I have not laughed so hard at a movie in the past couple of years. So much character, charm, beauty and style in every little detail of this film. If you have not seen it yet ... go now!

40 thumbs up! A billion stars! Standing ovation! Congrats to all who worked on it. I wish you many Oscars for this one.

parka81
08-13-2008, 06:10 AM
It's an awesome movie. (Cliche)

Those who like it will most definitely like the movie artbook also. There are some pictures of the artbook on my blog (http://parkablogs.blogspot.com/2008/08/book-review-art-of-kung-fu-panda.html).

CGTalk Moderation
08-13-2008, 06:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.