PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Vue Xstream for XSI

cgswami
06-06-2008, 01:17 AM
I need to know what is the user experience with using Vue Xstream with XSI
I already used it with LW with some good success, but i do intend to make a full migration so i will have to purchase a new license for XSI once it plays well. Thanks !!

nemac4
06-06-2008, 03:15 AM
I use Vue Xstream too (with LW) an I'm also interested in XSI user experiences.

cgswami
06-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Anyone ???

Is gigapoly sooo good that you do not need vue xstream :p

I can't go on the vue forums :D

PerfectLine
06-09-2008, 05:51 PM
Oh hey, sorry didn't see this thread before...

... I have played with vue6xstream in XSI and I like its implementation alot better then LW but if you bought a license for LW then you have to add another license for using mental ray. Its not like purchasing a full version of vue6 again but rather a little upgrade for having mental ray added to vue6.

Honestly I think its pretty stupid that they went that route because I think it makes customers go away since it seems a little greedy.

Anyways, I did a few tests with lighting and such to see how the mental ray shaders reflect and refract the vue 6 scenery and it worked well. You can test it without buying the nodelock for mental ray it just has the water mark on the image but you should be able to test it at least without having to buy first.

That was how I was playing with it. Mental ray seems to render vue 6 much faster then LW but it slows down quite a bit with motion blur. I think thats also true for the LW version as well.

Anything else you would like to know?

mocaw
06-09-2008, 06:59 PM
That was how I was playing with it. Mental ray seems to render vue 6 much faster then LW but it slows down quite a bit with motion blur. I think thats also true for the LW version as well.

Does it allow you to use the rasterizer for motion blured rendering?

cgswami
06-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Hey Intution, did not know you used XSI ...

Thank you very much for the reply :).
I just need to know how it worked with XSI and the stability esp. coming out of LW/Xstream

I am now crashing coursing XSI so i can't asked detailed question as may be needed, however now that i know it works .. great

...and yeah e-on SUCK with their pricing policy, crazy to say that once it pays for itself over it would be worth it. I really hope not to have to use LW again so porting everthing over including 3rd party lic. I Think its 100 US for a new node/software plug lic.
Not sure if nemac has any questions atm.

As needed i will post here of PM you if i need any specific info, once ok with you :)

Thanks again :)

T4D
06-10-2008, 07:42 AM

is this a general MR Motion slow down compaired to LW OR do you think Vue adds even more to MR motion blur render times ??

in other words- I Feel MR is slow at motion blur compaired to LW now ( But they do work differetly ), IS Vue adding to that slow down or is it just MR's slow motion blur ??

Sorry looking at Vue Xstream at the momment and like to know alittle more Nice to see this thread here =)

mocaw
06-10-2008, 06:09 PM
All this talk of motion blur and we still haven't established if it's slower with or without rasterizer turned on. So- did you try it with rasterizer as well?

PerfectLine
06-11-2008, 02:47 AM
I am testing it right now. It doesn't seem to make any difference between scaline, raytrace, rasterizer. I am trying to duduce which end is making Mblur. if its Vue6 or Mental Ray thats causing it. But I must say that there are many settings in both LW and Vue6 in the AA sections that really need to be used to have clean grass renders and they push up the render time a bunch so I use photoreal motion blur in LW so that the Photoreal Mblur will handle much of the AA and then use less AA passes.

I can't tell if its mental ray or vue6 thats doing more work on the image quality.

There is a few places in vue6 where sliders and settings can be messed with before mental ray has a chance to attack the XSI objects trying to reflect/refract the vue6 objects.

Testing now though.

T4D
06-11-2008, 07:55 AM
I can't tell if its mental ray or vue6 thats doing more work on the image quality.

There is a few places in vue6 where sliders and settings can be messed with before mental ray has a chance to attack the XSI objects trying to reflect/refract the vue6 objects.

Testing now though.

keep us up to date i would love to know what you find
Where rendering passes in XSI/MR & LW and Vue may be in there too
so I'm interest in what you find :bowdown:

PerfectLine
06-15-2008, 07:26 PM
Hello, sorry guys I was still testing that day. Lots to show you. I have been very busy with work....but I will show you some screenies maybe later this week. I still haven't quite figured out the mystery of whats doing what with AA and Mblur but some settings have given pretty good results I can show you that you may want to try.

CGTalk Moderation
06-15-2008, 07:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.