PDA

View Full Version : WIP, First human project

Xerian
06-05-2008, 06:44 AM
Ths is pretty much my first attempt at modeling a human. While rather new at at modeling (about a year of teaching myself on Blender) I have an artistic background so I find it rather easy to make a 3D object that looks alright but I'm new to building a model that can function for things such as animation/games/whatever. (I've tried adding armatures and have just ended up with a mess so far)

Currently standing at about 1500 polys, and any tips/crits and the like are welcome

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/tlk_85/Wire.jpg

Note:
I am using this as a blank to build other characters from hense the lack of facal features (I do plan to add a face for my WIP though)
I have not cleaned unneeded polys yet (but you are welcome to point areas out)
I have not completed the hands or feet.
I realize that it is not in the standard T pose (but feel free to tell me why the T pose is a good thing.)
I know that I need more polys around the joints, I'm just not sure where.
I know the shape of the legs are a bit off (too much bow)

I'll be more than happy to answer any questions or catpure any screenshots you may need to help me out ^_^

Xerian
06-07-2008, 08:39 AM
I "deflated" the chest some, I still want it to have a kinda puffed up look seeming that I want the character to be muscular.

Added several polys to the shoulders, knees and elbows also moved the arms out to a T and did some reshaping of the legs.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/tlk_85/Wire2.jpg

The current Render (and yea my lighting is screwy) Hmm.. since shrinking the chest his thighs look much too big, I'll tone them down next. Hopfuly over the weekend I will make a basic loop set up for the face... we'll see if I can find the time :surprised
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/tlk_85/MaleR.jpg

Misolidio
06-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Your proportions are a bit off,head is a bit too little,and the leg(the shin bone)
is a bit too long(and the global curve that the leg does is wrong,because shin bone is more curved to median point of the body)
The shoulder seems a bit too external.
Even the arms curves is wrong in the last picture(in the middle of the arm,in the interior profile there is a hole,in that region the forearm is larger )
From topology point of view,you have several problem,try to follow better the structure of human anatomy(for example the leg and the pelvis have to be connetted better)

Xerian
06-09-2008, 04:14 PM
I scaled up the head, moved the knees down, moved the shoulders in, took some of the bow out of the skins (though I think I should have done more)

I have been studying the topology of your models (excellent by the way) and this it what I am guessing I need to do (please excuse the poor job... all I have is MS Paint x_X)

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/tlk_85/untitled.jpg

I'm sure someone with much more experiance can save my model, I on the other hand have spent about 6 hours trying to rebuild my topography, something I just learned about a week ago, and end up just reloading and trying again.

and tips on repairing a model?
also, how detailed should the topography be. I still want to keep a low poly count but will I still be able to have a good looking low poly model if I aply proper topography (well I suppose I would since thats the way I should have modeled it to beging with but it never hurts to ask)

Misolidio
06-09-2008, 05:40 PM
When modelling.from a topological point of view,people often go in 2 different direction.
The first one is,the modelling should be perfect at first time,if topology is not good,you start from the beginning,untill is good.
The second is,improving what you have.
I suggest you try both,because with the first one is easier to visualize and learn topology,the second make you a better modeller,because you learn how to solve difficoult steps.
btw,now it's better.
The topology line you draw are somewhat good.what really important is connections between shoulder and arm,and connections between legs and pelvis.
Try to follow better pectoral muscle for arms and study how the external oblique go into the torso for leg connection.

Xerian
06-10-2008, 06:57 AM
Well, I'm going to buckle down and try for the repair, I have plenty of other charater designs to start from scratch.

Does anyone have any low poly models I can look at, I can see the place I need to fix when I add multi wire to my mess, but I still want to stay under 2500 with the finished project... nothing is worst then havn't to boost the poly limit...

Right now I'm going to try to slowly reshape the pecs with multi wires on, then turn them off and see if it will translate well or not... I suppose that is working backwards but sometimes that when you get the best view ^_^

Edit: Drat... what timing for a lightning storm... I suppose I'll start on this in the morning before work -_-

Xerian
07-11-2008, 06:19 PM
Wow... been working on and off of this for over a month now... too bad its not further along than what I have.

I studied human topography for a solid week and I can work my way around now (been able to get the armatures to deform well enough for my liking anyways.)

But I don't want a naked fanatic and now that I'm trying to add clothes( well mainly armor) I'm hitting a new snag. Metal and cloth doesn't act like skin.

First of all are there tips for making the verts act more metallic (Stiff everywhere but the joints) Or is there a way for the verts to move in... layers I guess is what you could call it (Such as a scale like effect where once piece slide under anouther to a point and then the next scale move under the next... an achordian effect, I would like to use this on the abdominal/back and bicep/tricep)

me playing around with clothing ideas (pretty happy with the boots)
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/tlk_85/Test1.jpg
Testing my armarture set up and just playing around :P
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/tlk_85/Swordfunny.jpg

toontje
07-12-2008, 01:28 AM
Are you a Slaine fan by any chance?

I think that last pose is to stiff. The back is to straight, you should bend back more. The head is in a straight line with the spine, correct this for a more dramatic effect. Rig your character so that you can tuck the tummy fully in, especially for these correction, his belly should almost touch his spine. At that pose, the chest muscle should have this shape: \ /

Now it looks relaxed: U U

I suggest you look up some references.

OrchidFace
07-13-2008, 05:53 AM
You mentioned earlier all you have is MS_paint. Well when you get to texturing (if thats in your agenda) I highly recomend Gimp. Gimp is an open source 2d raster graphics program. Kinda like an open source version of photoshop. Sorry man MS_paint is not acceptable lol.

Xerian
07-14-2008, 08:42 PM
Slaine... no, but after looking it up I probably could become as such ^_^

As far as that last pose I was focusing solely on the arms, I wasn't trying to get it to look great, but thanks for the advice, after I start "dressing" him I'll redo that pose (and really remake that sword, that's what 2 minute modeling accomplishes :P)

I need to redownload GIMP (formatted my comp and have only Dial-up I'm never to quick to download anything -_-)

CGTalk Moderation
07-14-2008, 08:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.