PDA

View Full Version : Free dof plugin/programs?

jumbowumbo2
06-04-2008, 10:04 PM
I'm looking for any plugins or programs that increase the DOF on my pictures. I know of this (http://www.dofpro.com/) site, but it's not free. As long as it's moderately effective, i'd be happy.

CIM
06-04-2008, 10:34 PM
The DOF plug-in (Lens Blur) that ships with Photoshop is good enough.

jumbowumbo2
06-05-2008, 04:41 AM
Wow. I had no idea this existed. Thanks so much!

I've been messing around with it for the past couple hours, it's so much fun to use and experiment with! Not to mention makes all my pictures look so much more professional.

SmallPoly
06-05-2008, 08:07 AM
Given that the example you used is a render, I'm guessing that you're rendering these out in 3d. What program are you using? I know 3ds max for one has depth of field as one of it's rendering options.

As far as making your work look more "professional," be sure to study what's optically possible with depth of field with different subjects and focal lengths, or you'll end up making a vast city look like a toy miniature.

jumbowumbo2
06-05-2008, 05:14 PM
Not sure what example you're talking about. I was experimenting with photos I'd taken, not images I'd rendered.

Yeah, just like any other filter in PS, there's a right/wrong way to use it. As I was reading a tutorial yesterday, I came across this tidbit :

Note: for simplicity, I'm using a standard linear gradient. However, to properly simulate DOF, you need to use what would be called a quadratic gradient. A quadratic gradient varies as distance squared.

Any idea what he's talking about?

CGTalk Moderation
06-05-2008, 05:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.