PDA

View Full Version : bringing in a brush set?

ArtDogg
06-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Hello, I'm new to painter and am using a workspace built buy another artist not the default but i notice that the artist does not have all the brushes from the default setting in the brush categories (pallet knives) but I cannot figure out how to bring in this brush set in with the other brushes, to use it I have to switch to the default workspace which changes everything else about painter. I'm sure it's me as it cannot be this hard.

I question if it's possible to make this software any more difficult to use!

Jinbrown
06-05-2008, 03:10 AM
Hello, I'm new to painter and am using a workspace built buy another artist not the default but i notice that the artist does not have all the brushes from the default setting in the brush categories (pallet knives) but I cannot figure out how to bring in this brush set in with the other brushes, to use it I have to switch to the default workspace which changes everything else about painter. I'm sure it's me as it cannot be this hard.

What you're referring to rather than a "brush set" is, in Corel Painter, a Brush Library containing Brush Categories each of which contains Brush Variants.

Queston:

In the custom Workspace, is it the Painter Brushes brush library that doesn't list all of the brush categories?

If so, it could be the person who created that custom Workspace has simply made some of the brush categories invisible. If that's the case, the solution is easy:

1. Use Window > Workspace > Customize Workspace.

2. In the Customize Workspace dialog box, left panel, click the plus sign to the left of Brushes, then click the plus sign to the left of Painter Brushes.

3. In the right panel, you'll see the brush category names listed and to the righ of each brush category name, you'll see an Eye icon.

4. Check to see if any of the brush categories' Eye icons are closed. If they are, click to open them.

5. When you've made sure each of the brush categories' Eye icons is open, click the Done button in the bottom right corner of the Customize Workspace dialog box.

6. Now, with the Painter Brushes brush library loaded, go to the Brush Selector Bar's brush category list and you should see all brush categories are listed and available to use.

Let us know if this solved the problem.

Corel Painter is a very rich and complex program. It takes time to learn how to use it.

Just pace yourself and don't expect to learn it all at once. It will come in time, with practice, using Painter X Help Topics to find information, and when you can't find the info you want, asking questions in Painter related forums.

Cheers!

#

ArtDogg
06-06-2008, 04:27 AM
Hello Jinbrown,

Thanks for the quick and detailed instructions for my problem. I got a little tripped up on step 2. as you make reference the the plus sign but the only plus sign I have is next to a drop down menu and when I click it it wants me to create a new workspace but after poking around I believe your talking about the arrows next to brushes and painter brushes as it did let me scroll down to see if the eye icons were on and YES there all on, I even turn them off re-loaded the brushes and then went back and turned them on and again re-loaded the brushes to see if that might kick-start them?...I did not work, I still don't see them.

Now I may have totally have misunderstood your directions but I think I did it right? if so, Would you have any other ideas I might try?

Thanks for you help!

Mark

Jinbrown
06-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Hi,

Since you found your way to the brush category Eye icons, closed them, then opened them again, you did what I suggested.

It seems the custom Workspace donor must have created a custom brush library and, if he or she didn't give it a unique name, the custom brush library is using the name of the default Painter Brushes library. If you want to be able to use that custom brush library again you'll need to:

Rename the custom brush library (the custom brush library donor should have done this before sharing it).
When you launch Painter X the next time, Painter X will look for the Painter Brushes folder in your User folder's [Workspace Name] > Brushes folder and since it won't be there, Painter X will automatically create the necessary folders and files.

Use the following steps:

1. Close Painter X, go to the following Painter X User folder, and rename the custom brush library folder giving a unique and descriptive name so you'll always know which custom brush library it is and where you got it (for instance, name it Joe's Favorites or something similar):

Mac - Users > [User Name] > Library > Application Support > Corel > Painter X > [Workspace Name] > Brushes

Windows - Documents and Settings > [User Name] > Application Data > Corel > Painter X > [Workspace Name] > Brushes
2. Launch Painter X and, with the appropriate Workspace loaded, load the Painter Brushes brush library, and you should see that all of the brush categories are available to use, though they will probably be out of alphabetical order.

3. To put the brush categories in alphabetical order, first use Window > Workspace > Customize Workspace.

4. In the Customize Workspace dialog box, left panel, click to expand Brushes, then click to expand Painter Brushes.

5. In the right panel, click and drag the brush categories to rearrange them in alphabetical order.

#

ArtDogg
06-07-2008, 03:03 AM
Hello,

I hope I'm not trying your patience but that did not work either...

I think I did everything right, here are my steps:

Renamed my old brushes for that workspace (old mp brushes)
Painter did recreate a new folder and when I looked in it it shows all the brushes (as does the old one)
launched Painter and from that workspace loaded the newly made brushes and...the same set of limited brushes is still there?

To let you know the work space was created by Fay Sirkis from her DVD Paint like a master. I did make some changes and re-saved it under a new name but it has the same brush set as her original.

As a side note I checked out your website Pixelalley and saw your links to the Cristen Eagle and it brought back memories of my first design job out of collage 15+ years ago working as a designer for a aviation magazine USAviator and the owner/publisher had one! I thought it was the coolest plane! I live here in Lakeland Florida where we host the second largest air show to Oshkosh called Sun 'n Fun and and went to many shows there for the magazine...What a small world:)

ArtDogg
06-07-2008, 04:01 AM
Hello Jinny,

I GOT IT!!!

And, you were right the first time with the eye being turned off... BUT I was not going about it right, I was opening the brush folder on the left side with the arrow then scrolling down to the Pallet knives clicking on the folder and all the variants (learning the lingo now!) would show up in the center panel and all the eyes were on....BUT I went back to Fay's DVD to review the workspaces and saw that you click the brushes folder (not the arrow) and that loads the categories (I'm getting the whole categories / variants thing now) into the center window with their icon and as you said the icon was turned off...BAM, there it is. I feel like my Painter status has just been raised a notch!

I must say I have been with Photoshop for years, since before layers when everything was done with channel operations, I am proud to have 6 Photoshop Guru Awards with a Best of Show from 2004 in Orlando so I have a high degree of understanding of it with photo manipulation / illustration techniques, but Painter makes me feel like and old dog learning new tricks. I have tried to "get" painter in the past, starting with version much eariler versions, In fact one of my old versions came in a paint can! I kept that and still have it as it was cool, but gave up with the program. I will say thanks to training DVD's like Fay's and resources like this site I have made great improvements and have already finished a few projects, something I never did with the past versions.

Sorry to be so long winded, I'm just happy for the small victory. Thanks again for all your help!

Mark
www.potterdesigns.com

Jinbrown
06-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Hi Mark,

I'm happy to hear you figured it out. Good, too, that you're making the effort to learn Painter terminology, especially the brush hierarchy as not understanding that can cause endless problems.

About being an old dog learning new tricks, the good thing is that it keeps the brain exercised and once we learn things, it feels so good! Don't ever hesitate to ask questions. It's the only way can learn things sometimes, especially before we know the terminology well enough to look up the answers in Painter's Help Topics. Even then, sometimes the terminology is inconsistent enough to make that difficult.

Thanks for sharing the story about your first job as a designer for an avaition magazine. Yes, the Christen Eagle II project was lots of fun and I enjoyed hearing that it brought back good memories for you, too.

Small world... yes, it is. Isn't that nice?

By the way, I took a quick peek at your website and it looks great. You have a nice collection of work there, to show off, and the testimonials and awards are impressive too!

Cheers!

Jinny

#

Miguimau
06-07-2008, 05:27 PM
If you were absolutely new to Photoshop you said more thn this.:)

CGTalk Moderation
06-07-2008, 05:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.