PDA

View Full Version : Wrap deformer low poly proxy issue

nicodemus3d
06-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Hi everyone,

Im using a wrap deformer to make my low poly proxy drive a higher resolution mesh.
The problem i have is that for some reason the polygons in the high res mesh are sticking rather too stubbornly to the shape of the low poly mesh, leaving me with unsightly 'polygon-shapes'.
I need these smoothed out and cant seem to find a workaround. The annoying thing is i have a high res mesh being driven by a low-res proxy in another scene and it deforms fine. Ive compared scenes but cant find what i may be doing wrong here.

Heres a pic to show whats going on

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/9053/wraphelpiy8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

A massive thankyou and a cookie to anyone who can help me with this :thumbsup:

mascio
06-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Try to use the wrap/Dropoff and wrap/Smoothness attributes to adjust.

visualfx
06-05-2008, 04:22 PM
Is your high poly mesh just a subdivided version of the low poly mesh? If so, you can simply apply a polySmooth to your low poly (after all the deformers in your rig) with enough subdivisions to acheive the desired level of resolution.
This would be much simpler and far more reliable than a wrap deformer, not to mention quite a bit faster too.

nicodemus3d
06-05-2008, 04:58 PM
Is your high poly mesh just a subdivided version of the low poly mesh?

It is, but extra detail has been added in zbrush that i need to keep. I had tried to just make do with the low res and polysmooth option but i need to keep the details unfortunately.

mascio: My Wrap settings were

Exclusive Bind: Off
Weight Threshold: 0
Use Max Distance: On
Max Distance: 1
Influence: Faces

i tried to adjust the dropoff and smoothness settings but with no luck. If i changed the smoothness from 0 to 1 then the majority of my high res mesh stayed where it was and only a few select points moved with the low poly proxy. And anything higher meant that the high res mesh didnt move at all.

As far as i could tell changing the dropoff from 4 all the way up to 20 seemed to do nothing.

Should i be adjusting these settings on the 'lowpoly' model or the 'lowpoly base' model?

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate the help

visualfx
06-05-2008, 06:21 PM
In future, it may be better to add these additional details via displacement mapping. This would avoid the problems you are encountering now, and alleviate the need for such extreme mesh resolution.

nicodemus3d
06-05-2008, 06:36 PM
In future, it may be better to add these additional details via displacement mapping.

i tried that 1st and encountered all kinds of problems, and using the wrap deformer was suggested as one of the solutions.

the original thread is here showing my displacement issues:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=7&t=631744

mascio
06-06-2008, 09:06 AM
can you post the scene?

nicodemus3d
06-10-2008, 12:15 PM
can you post the scene?

I can do but its quite large, about 25megs zipped (cos of the large high poly model)

I dont think it'll let me post something that big on here

nicodemus3d
06-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Ok, ive hosted it on our ftp.

Just click the link below and type:

shark for username

and

shark for password

ftp://bandito.ftp.iws-hosting.co.uk (ftp://bandito.ftp.iws-hosting.co.uk/)

Should work:blush:

thanks for taking the time to look at this :thumbsup:

mascio
06-10-2008, 04:49 PM
I have downloaded your scene, but it doesn't works. Maya gives me an error when I try to open/import it.

nicodemus3d
06-10-2008, 05:02 PM
im using maya 2008. It seems to work for me. There are no special plugins or anything

JYoung
06-10-2008, 05:38 PM
Could you upload it as a .ma?

nicodemus3d
06-10-2008, 06:48 PM
ive uploaded it in the same place as an .ma file. Hope that works :)

nicodemus3d
06-11-2008, 05:34 PM
I dont suppose anyones had a chance to have a quick look at it for me? :bowdown:

JYoung
06-11-2008, 05:43 PM
I did yesterday, but haven't found a fix yet.

nicodemus3d
06-11-2008, 05:48 PM
ah, thanks for having a go.

Just need a much more powerful smooth/blur brush in the paint weights tool really!

nicodemus3d
06-16-2008, 08:48 AM
still no ideas for a solution to this?? :cry:

SkullboX
06-16-2008, 05:02 PM
I tried to fix it, but my computer crashes when I attach a wrap deformer to the high poly (1gb memory).

The problem with the wrap deformer is that it's very primitive. It doesn't take rotation into account, only the position relative to either the faces or points on the low poly, so you won't get rid of those creases. You could try using points as influence, rather than faces in the wrap defomer settings, but I doubt it will give you a much smoother result.

The easiest way I suppose would be to add some extra detail to the low poly control object in places where those folding occurs and skin that as smooth as possible.

If that doesn't give the desired result, I'd focus on fixing the displacement issue instead.

yenvalmar
06-17-2008, 08:32 AM
i was probably one of those people who suggested to use a wrap- i do it myself frequently- but i never ever wrap the absolute finally smoothed mesh, i export from zbrush at maybe level 2 and put a meshsmooth on it after wrapping, in the rig process.

from where you are now i'd delete your wrap, put your BOUND low poly fish to level one smooth, THEN apply it as a wrap. god knows what time this will take to apply but it will make it smooth on the final if it doesnt crash.

needless to say you will want to animate in a lighter rig at that stage then copy the data onto that monstrosity via trax or whatever prior to render but im sure you can figure that out.

thinking outside the box again:
if your detail is that fine that its basically invisible unless the mesh is tesselated one triangle per pixel you can just use a friggin BUMP map!

or you really may have to bite the bullet and get displacements to work..

nicodemus3d
06-17-2008, 11:54 AM
having tried a billion and one solutions i resorted to skinning the high res mesh and ditched the low res one. Think i'll just have to play it by ear for the rest of the shots, and see what works.

AGH :eek:

all in a days 3d i suppose

CGTalk Moderation
06-17-2008, 11:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.