PDA

View Full Version : how to composite xsi shadowpasses???

pbinga
05-21-2003, 08:56 AM
does anyone know how to composite an xsi shadowpass with a regular pass in combustion???

im totally stumped.

GrantKay
05-21-2003, 09:49 AM
Hi,

Composite the shadow pass layer over the other layers in the composite and use a transfer mode (in the surface menu) to combine your shadow pass with the background.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Grant

Discreet UK

arvid
05-21-2003, 05:05 PM
There's a number of ways, XSI outputs shadows as white, because it's a matte, use this matte to control brightness/contrast or simply invert it and multiply it over your image

pbinga
05-21-2003, 06:44 PM
hi guys, thanks for the reply,

i tried inverting and multiplying and it doesn't give the same look as if i were to render straight from xsi. also, i tried the different surface modes but none of them look right.....

how might i make a matte out of the shadow pass to do colorcorrection on the original still?

pat

arvid
05-22-2003, 01:48 AM
The shadowpass itself *is* a matte ;)

Here's two ways, done with the FXtree inside xsi but it works similar in other apps as well. Both trees produce a similar image.

http://renderq.net/temp/compshadow.jpg

pbinga
05-22-2003, 06:38 PM
thankyou!! that helped alot. i really appreciate it.

pat

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.