PDA

View Full Version : Is the Air field broken?

jporter313
06-04-2008, 06:43 PM
So I'm using Maya 2008 64 bit on Windows Vista X64.

I'm trying to set up an air field according to the tutorial in the documentation, but it just doesn't seem to work. I set it all up and al the connectons look like they're there in the hypergraph, but the field doesn't affect the particles at all.

Here are the instructions in the maya documentation:

Create a grid of particles.
With the particles selected, select Fields > Air > to display the options window.
Click Wake.
Click Create. When the air field is created it is connected to the particles.
Create a sphere.
Keyframe the sphere to move through the grid of particles (on the XZ plane).
Select the wake (in Outliner), Shift-select the sphere and then select Field > Use Selected as Source of Field. This parents the wake to the sphere.
Play the animation.
I've also attached the scene file that I set up in case anyone has time to look at it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jporter313
06-04-2008, 10:36 PM
anyone dealt with this field before?

It's wierd that I follow the directions exactly and it just refuses to work. Not like I'm trying to do anything that out of the ordinary or complex.

KidderD
06-05-2008, 02:30 AM
I took a look at your test scene. Thanks for taking the time to do that, I love it when people do that!

Anyway, I got it to work, by going to the emitter, and setting apply per vertex to 1.

jporter313
06-05-2008, 04:57 AM
Yes, that did it, thanks a lot James, I was struggling with that all day.

CGTalk Moderation
06-05-2008, 04:57 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.