PDA

View Full Version : Eyes & metaeffector

suchoparek
06-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Hi all,
I imported a guy from lightwave to animate it in messiah. Originally the eyes was not connected to the rest of body, but when i was rotating the head bone they was a little shifted. So i connected every eye to the head by creating an interior invisible polygon, this way eyes rotates correctly.
Unfortunately, now the effector "all connected" is useless, so i need a new method to weight every polygon of the eye but the body.
I already tried other fields of influence but it doesn't works well to me, have you any tip??

Richdj
06-04-2008, 05:41 PM
Were the eyes originally in a different layer? if not you could keep the eyes in the same layer in LW, but not connected to the sockets, then 'all connected' should work..

Rich

suchoparek
06-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Were the eyes originally in a different layer? if not you could keep the eyes in the same layer in LW, but not connected to the sockets, then 'all connected' should work..
What do you mean with "sockets"? Maybe my english must be improved... :)
The eyes and the body are in one layer in LW, but originally they wasn't connected. It was supposed to work, but it wasn't: as i said, when i was rotating head bone the eyes was lightly shifted! I've creating a polygon between eye and head.
So: before they was TWO objects in ONE layer, now they are ONE object in ONE layer.
I hope it's clear...

Ulven
06-04-2008, 10:27 PM
Remove the connection between the mesh and the eyes again (back to two objects and one layer), it's easier to set up if you have them as seperate objects.
Add one or more bones near the eyes that have the head mesh as it's weight, but has the eyes removed from the weight (by using negative effectors). These bones should be parented to the main head bone. Then add a bone in each eye that has only the eye as it's weight by using the all connected mode. This way the shape of the head near the eyes is maintained by the other bones and the eyes won't get squished around by any other bones in the head.

Alternatively, seperate the eyes into new layers and just parent them to the head bone.

dborruso
06-05-2008, 05:12 PM
I just did eyes yesterday. I imported the eyes as seperate objects. What I did was make a child bone of the head bone, turn falloff to 0, position in center of one eye pointing out. For the eyes I put nulls in the center of them because I cant figure out how to move the pivot and made the nulls parents of the eyes. You have to use the parent tool so they dont move out of place. Then I made the left eye null a child of the bone i placed in the center of the eye. Then I set an align to expression for the right eye to follow the left eye. Worked like a charm.

You can see the eyes move in the little wmv attached.

suchoparek
06-05-2008, 05:57 PM
Remove the connection between the mesh and the eyes again (back to two objects and one layer), it's easier to set up if you have them as seperate objects.
Add one or more bones near the eyes that have the head mesh as it's weight, but has the eyes removed from the weight (by using negative effectors). These bones should be parented to the main head bone. Then add a bone in each eye that has only the eye as it's weight by using the all connected mode. This way the shape of the head near the eyes is maintained by the other bones and the eyes won't get squished around by any other bones in the head.

Alternatively, seperate the eyes into new layers and just parent them to the head bone.Ok, i have this situation:

- body and eyes as separate objects but in one layer;
- 2 bones named "Fix_L" and "Fix_R" near the eyes, weighted by metaeffector (2 eff negatives for eyes e 1 positive for the head) and parented to the head bone;
- 2 bones named "eye_L" and "eye_R" to control the eyes, each one weighted by 1 metaeffector ("all connected").

Result: eyes are less shifted (but not at all), anyway they seems to be influenced by "fix" bones despite its negatives effectors!!

I think the best way is with body and eyes connected, if only i could choose how many connected polygons i want: not EVERYONE by "all connected" field of influence, but nor ONLY ONE by "connected" field of influence!! Do you know if any plugin about that exists??

(by the way, thank you :) )

Parsec3d
06-05-2008, 11:56 PM
NO , disconect the eyes ,, re-read all the other posts

Ulven
06-06-2008, 12:27 AM
If the fix bones are using a weight which excludes the eyes, they cannot be affecting them. If you're still having problems try checking that your head bone isn't affecting them by making sure that the head bone has a weight that excludes the eyes also.

suchoparek
06-06-2008, 12:35 PM
I got it!!

You was right, 2 objects was the way. Now every eye has 1 bone weighted by an "all connected" metaeffector. I just raised up the head bones falloff from 8.0 to 9.0 and now it's ok!!

Pretty simple, doesn't?? :)

Thank you so much!

dborruso
06-07-2008, 09:47 PM
cool you got it working. I don't know how I got my eyes working without metaeffectors but they do. They dont get deformed at all when I move them, they work real good. I guess dumb luck. But if it works hey it works.

suchoparek
06-08-2008, 04:26 PM
cool you got it working. I don't know how I got my eyes working without metaeffectors but they do. They dont get deformed at all when I move them, they work real good. I guess dumb luck. But if it works hey it works.I guess it's because you've imported the eyes as separate object. :p
Placing a 0-falloff eye-bone that is child of the head-bone and parent of the null, you can control the rotation of the eyes by rotating the eye-bone, at the same time it doesn't influence the mesh cause its 0-falloff.
You don't need metaeffector 'cause you can manipulate the eyes as separate objects, I couldn't do your way 'cause I needed to import the body and the eyes as one object.

CGTalk Moderation
06-08-2008, 04:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.