PDA

View Full Version : Is rigging included in models exported to Max/Maya ?

Stenofo
06-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Hello everybody.
A quick question: I own XSI foundation and I need to export rigged characters to other formats than .xsi. Is rigging included in those two formats? I tried a couple of exports and I know the feature works (unlike .FBX export that fails miserably most of the times) but I have no means to reload my models and check.
Apart from this, are there differences in exporting between rigging guides (character developement kit) and ready made skeletons?
See you and thanks for your time.

ienrdna
06-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Is rigging included in those two formats?

What formats?

Stenofo
06-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Well, Max and Maya, of course.

See you.

visualboo
06-05-2008, 02:14 AM
There is no way to export as .max or .mb/.ma

If you are talking about crosswalk then understand that it exports a .xsi (which isn't XSI's native scene format btw) which can then be imported and exported back to XSI.

I suggest you read up on Crosswalk. Maybe start here: http://softimage.wiki.avid.com/index.php/Category:Crosswalk

tc
06-05-2008, 03:19 AM
From XSI using crosswalk you'll be able to export .xsi and .fbx files.
These are the formats that let you bring things back to XSI (if you need), and this can export kinda of a "rig".
More likely bake your rig down to Nulls and export the rig animation over those nulls. Which is enough for many situations, but not very usable for an animator for example.

Using crosswalk however will let you modify this asset in the other software, and then bring it back to XSI. This will put your XSI rig back in place, considering all the changes you did outside of XSI.

Stenofo
06-05-2008, 10:27 AM
Ouch, this isn't really what I hoped...

Well, thanks for your answers nonetheless.
See you.

CGTalk Moderation
06-05-2008, 10:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.