PDA

View Full Version : Turn Black & White Photo To Colored

CorelPainter
06-03-2008, 03:58 PM
Is it possible to colorize an 1940's black & white pic using Photoshop? :hmm:

PLEASE help! :wip:

pgraham
06-03-2008, 05:30 PM
yes, but you will have to pick the colors and paint them in yourself.

just make a new layer, set its blend mode to "color" and paint solid colors on it. The color will blend into the underlying BW image without changing its luminosity.

To get natural variation you may want to rubber stamp the colors from another image with similar colors and textures. For example, a face has various hues and saturations that you won't get if you just paint a solid color.

CorelPainter
06-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Yeah pgraham, I've been painting with just solid colors and I'm not completely satisfied with the results...I'll try your tip of rubber stamping..Thanks.

CorelPainter
06-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Hi pgraham,
I've successfully turned a black&white photo to a colored one...This photo is actually a prom pic of my uncle and aunt....I want to change the background of the prom pic so that would mean I'd need to separate the couple from background...How do I do this without losing the painting I've done? I tried to merge all the layers together but lol the photo ultimately turned into a mess! :D

pgraham
06-05-2008, 04:15 AM
put all the layers in a group and then create a mask on the group. paint the mask so the couple is the only part showing. then you can add a background outside (and below) the group.

CGTalk Moderation
06-05-2008, 04:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.