PDA

View Full Version : dream dragon

nwiz25
06-02-2008, 02:07 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/nvart/236379_1212415657/680bound
(http://assets.cgsociety.org/nvart/236379_1212415657/1024bound)

3dsmax was used for basic dragon model, lit with a skylight, clay rendered using mental ray...
the image was then taken to photoshop and this is what i came up with ...

lots of basic shapes such as lines, circles (warped/pulled/stretched), soft edged brush strokes for smoke, finally ... fix ups, glows, color mixes, a little bit of edge shine on the 3d model ...
final size is 5333 x 3333, 32bit & 16bit color depth

simple yet stylized, i deliberately didn't add wings for the dragon, nor teeth ( didn't want a fierce dragon; anatomically speaking :) )
i wanted to make it look more of a spirit of the dream realm filled with color and magic :)

p.s: did some more fix ups, looks like there was a black patch after all .. now there isn't :D

cheers everyone!

nwiz25
06-02-2008, 02:16 PM
just a note .. this is the final post .. crits and comments most welcome :p

SFedor
06-03-2008, 05:19 AM
I like your color work and the use of the negative space/ crescent shape of the dragon gives it a nice swirling energy to the piece that makes it feel very alive.

I'd say the quickie star field is holding it back from reaching the dream atmosphere you were attempting to express. I think you could keep that element simple still without having it look so generic.

...Just looked at the image closer and realized that might not be a star field as it seems the white dots are on top of everything and do not go all the way across...so i guess i'm not sure what the dots are...if its a random design element it is distracting and if it is supposed to be a star field, finesse it more and make sure its the back layer :)

SFedor
06-03-2008, 05:20 AM
Oh and i realized my post seemed negative. Please note i think its a very good piece and its just a few small details that are keeping it from being a great piece IMO. Best of luck!

namnocilis
06-03-2008, 06:08 AM
beautiful! can feel the depth of space.. and the spirit of dragon

nwiz25
06-05-2008, 12:44 PM
I like your color work and the use of the negative space/ crescent shape of the dragon gives it a nice swirling energy to the piece that makes it feel very alive.

I'd say the quickie star field is holding it back from reaching the dream atmosphere you were attempting to express. I think you could keep that element simple still without having it look so generic.

...Just looked at the image closer and realized that might not be a star field as it seems the white dots are on top of everything and do not go all the way across...so i guess i'm not sure what the dots are...if its a random design element it is distracting and if it is supposed to be a star field, finesse it more and make sure its the back layer

Oh and i realized my post seemed negative. Please note i think its a very good piece and its just a few small details that are keeping it from being a great piece IMO. Best of luck!

thanks dude! ... as for the entire piece, i totally went in for design itself ... almost all the elements don't convey any message at all, instead, all for visual appeal
thanks again for droppin by ... cheers!

Great color and style. I agree with lynch about the dragon shape, i think you should make the shape more like a dragon a bit, but overall cool image.

i like the way this flows and the little bit of red and blue smoke goes well with the green...i only wish you went a bit further in suggesting the dragons shape...so that a veiwer would be able to identify it without you having to explain anything
thanks guys! as for the dragon shape, i deliberately created it with a stylized, abstract ( tried to achieve it ) form .. somehow making the dragon more noticeable will not let our minds toy around or imagine what it could be, at least totally ..
this time i really let myself free :p

your greenish color theme is a very good color choice for this one.. nice.
thanks buddy! :p even i never thought that i would pick this color tone, but then i thought ... why not mix it with more tones and see how it turns out :p ...

beautiful! can feel the depth of space.. and the spirit of dragon
thanks dude! i'm very glad you like it :p

MatthewNovak
06-08-2008, 06:33 AM
I like this alot. I wish you posted a bigger image so i can use it for my laptops background. = )

nwiz25
06-08-2008, 05:24 PM
MatthewNovak ~ thanks for droppin by dude :p .. i'm glad you like it :) .... yep ... i just checked out the size and found it to be 1024 x 640 .. for which bit of the details are lost ...

nwiz25
06-08-2008, 05:30 PM
here are hi-res screenshots ... but still not the exact size ...

http://inlinethumb07.webshots.com/40710/2126737110102300015S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2126737110102300015zZYtZy)

http://inlinethumb59.webshots.com/36666/2296868920102300015S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2296868920102300015dwsdxb)

http://inlinethumb56.webshots.com/36535/2983608010102300015S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2983608010102300015sTlLAG)

taurusmaxx
06-09-2008, 11:54 AM
real cool frnd .. u have a really good artwork here .. i just love the whole thing .. the colors and the flow ...

nwiz25
06-10-2008, 01:59 AM
taurusmaxx ~ thanks a lot buddy! :p if i manage to race against time ... there's another one comin up ;) stay tuned! :p

lyndabathory
06-10-2008, 05:10 PM
This really _is_ filled with magic! The composition is stunning and the colors suit the dragon very well. I love the transparent feel to your dragon--it is as though it can mysteriously flow in and out of our reality. Congratulations on another beautiful work and good luck!

nwiz25
06-10-2008, 10:33 PM
hey lynda! thanks a lot for droppin by! your comment gave extra meaning to my work :love:
thanks again! and good luck to you too! :thumbsup:

nwiz25
06-14-2008, 07:39 PM
I like this image, it's like a blazing comet. Seems peacful and powerful at the same time. I'd like to see this in motion. Nice transitions and good soft lighting. I woudn't mind seeing some more stars on the left side of the image. Unless, the left side is suppose to be completely black.

Good stuff, and great job.

thanks a lot dude! i like the way you bring out something new with my artwork .. it's like a different story being told by many artists! ... yup, the left side is completely black .. i didn't want the viewer's attention to go here just suddenly, instead to concentrate on the right side, more like holding onto the bright light, not letting go into the black unknown ...
thanks again for taking time to comment .. :p cheers dude! :beer:

topherus
06-14-2008, 09:23 PM
Man your job is really a promising image,,,,the colors are well blended together.

goodluck

nwiz25
06-15-2008, 07:53 AM
topherus ~ thanks a lot dude! :p choosing the colour combination for this piece was a little tricky but reading all your comments ... it was worth it! :p thanks again for dropping by! cheers dude! :beer:

eonridr
06-20-2008, 02:26 PM
Hi there nwiz25! Interesting.. if i didn't remember wrongly i've commented on this piece before.. wells anyway i liked this piece alot too! aww theres so many great artworks in this contest and its really hard to choose from. Indeed your sharpness and firm use of colors are very distinctive as well. Good luck and all the best! cheers :)

MartinNielsen
06-24-2008, 06:48 PM
I can spot your style a mile away. Nice work again :)

Jeffparadox
06-25-2008, 08:38 AM
Hi Neville, I love this new image, really great experimenting here. I especially like that it`s not so busy, so everything flows nicely on canvas. Totally reflects your style man, a great piece to fatten your portfolio!

hostme03
06-29-2008, 01:47 PM
well what ever this is, it is appealing which is the main purpose. i like the concept and the spirit kind of feeling which u dipicted through the colours in it. nice work man

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=643703

nwiz25
07-11-2008, 08:20 AM
eonridr | thanks a lot dude! i'm glad you like it .. i mostly play around with a lot of colors to achieve a desired look :) i'll let you know as soon as another artwork is ready, i've used an outrageous combination of colors :p .. stay tuned! ...
all the best to you too my friend! take care!

MartinNielsen | great to see ya here bro! thanks a million! :bounce:

Jeffparadox | heyyy buddy! :scream: always a pleasure to read your comment! thanks a lot for droppin by man .. i sure hope we meet up for the next challenge :p

hostme03 | thanks a lot my friend! i'm sure/hope you'll like my next artwork which is just drenched with pinks, purples, blues, reds .. etc .. something i've tried before :p

Slav
07-27-2008, 08:46 PM
hey man! really love the colors and shapes in this piece. great work! park it on my desktop for a bit. :)

theartistzone
07-31-2008, 06:12 PM
Bhaiya Thats a Really Really Gr8 Work....M Too Small to make any Comment aur RAte his Artwork..i can always Appreciate it...Keep it up and Very Good Luck...Hope U Win..
Bhaiya Do Check my Entry and Make Sum Comment on it..
and is it Okay if i say Bhaiya???? if No Srry.....

CGTalk Moderation
07-31-2008, 06:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.