PDA

View Full Version : The State of the Industry

SeanW
04-22-2002, 01:52 PM
It seems that lots of people who have been in the movie industry are comming to the game industry. Hundreds of people get laid off after a movie is done and they are left looking for jobs. Seems like comming over to the game industry would be a easy move. And it does worry me that I'm going to have to compete with people who have done work in film. How is it that game veterans can compete with someone with a movie portfolio? I guess I just want to get peoples thoughts on this, have some type of discussion on the subject.

Parasite7
04-23-2002, 12:27 AM
ok, lets see how i can put this. its not about raw talent, u have to love absolutely love wut u r doin. people comin from the movie industry usually modeled in nurbs or subd's and had no limitations. they could use wutever they wanted. now comin into the game industry and someone saying, ok i want this chracater in 3,000 polies but have everything about the character in tact, thats tough. modeling something realistic or close is not easy but in a way it is. if u tell me to model a character using unlimited poly's, i could do it and get it close, but put a limit and all of a sudden it gets a lot tougher. u have to plan every poly and have a reason for every poly. well ok i feel like i blabbed for a while now. want to see more peoples take on this.

suck
04-23-2002, 12:55 AM
what parasite said is very true, there are limits in game development that movie people arent typically faced with. also, most game shops have people doing a much wider range of tasks than movie studios do... so for instance if you are a modeler for movie stuff and come over to games, odds are you're going to have to do a lot more than simply model. this can include texturing, setting up uv's, riggin, lighting...

but more important than any of that... people that work in games should prefer to work in games over movies... there is nothing inherently better/superior about working on film/tv, and the people that i've known that would rather be working on movies were liabilities because of it. without a passion for games your work can only be so good since you are unaware of how high the current bar is set in the industry.

also, it is much more common in the game industry to design assets on the fly, with little or no preproduction. this is unheard of in the movie industry... so modelers that are used to being handed a beautiful concept drawing or a maquette will be at a disadvantage when they get a single sentence in a design document outlining what they are supposed to make.

this is not to say that movie people are somehow not capable of game work, but it is quite a different job.

bit

SeanW
04-23-2002, 02:27 AM
I agree with what you guys are saying. I guess when I was thinking about it I was thinking about animation. Theres a guy who just got hired at EA who had a really impressive animation reel and the reason he is there is because he cant find a movie job. I guess the word isb movie companies will have to hire back all the people they laid off because their movie ended up doing well. But still laying off hundreds of people is a pretty large number and for that number to come over to the game industry is pretty insane.
I also dont think its very well known how hard the game industry can be. I personally think I will fit in quite well in the industry but Ive heard horror stories. For anyone that doesnt know what its like I think spicycricket.com lays it out pretty nicely on how it is. And its up to date, its not the old statistics where anyone off the street could get a job and get paid 100k a year doing 3d. She states on her site that industry hours for down time is about 8 to less hours a day and crunch time is around 12-16. Does anyone agree with these numbers?

The Magic Pen
04-23-2002, 03:33 AM
Im gonna be honest about this , I don't think most game artist can compete with movie artists , They are usually more technically knowledgeable , much faster at creating models , and have a tremendous amount of focus. Let's just hope not to many of them make the swith :shame: . The limitations of games scares a lot of them away . :applause:

ohsama
04-23-2002, 02:40 PM
Well, the industry is flooded right now as everyone knows. But I wouldn`t worry too much about everyone from movies coming right over and kicking all the game industry vets out of jobs. It`s like what someone said above, you really need a passion for games in this industry. Not that you can`t do the work without it, but I think you get what I`m saying.

And the biggest obstacle I see with my friends who have had no limits that try to do game work feel like their creativity is being stumped a bit. hehehe.
"Yeah, that`s a great texture. But now I need you to shrink it down to 32x32 because that`s all the memory we can spare for this PS2 model."

I personally think of movie industry 3d work and game industry 3d work as two different sides of the same coin. In one you have to make the most visually appealing work possible, in the other you have to make the most visually appealing work possible with strict limitations.

Just my two yen.

SeanW
04-23-2002, 03:00 PM
I would love to hear the differences between game companies overseas and game companies in the US. Has anyone experienced the two? Im curious to know if the Japanese game industry is much more respected and organized then the US industry. Just curious...

ohsama
04-24-2002, 04:39 AM
I`d love to tell you the difference, but I have no basis for comparison since I`ve never worked for an American game company. I wouldn`t think that they`d be dramatically different though.:shrug:

bentllama
04-24-2002, 01:52 PM
I am a film guy who got into games simply for the love of games...

...and because I want to change the industry from within, advance it...push the systems and the ideas.

Games are becoming more like film every year...there is a story to tell...and you have to animate digital stuntmen to tell it...while thinking outside the box...

...it is Darwinistic baby...

...SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST...

Later...

snotrag29
04-25-2002, 02:46 AM
Translation:
< deleted by moderator >

< last lines left for you to figure out what the message was like >

...SURVIVAL OF THE FATTEST...

Til I annoy you next time...

jmringuet
04-27-2002, 07:44 AM
We've seen a lot of movie artists resumes and we had some interviews and we never hired any :)

On the other hand we hired people coming from the comic book industry and the illustration industry.

David Lightbown
04-27-2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by snotrag29

...even monkeys could do my job...

...SURVIVAL OF THE FATTEST...

Til I annoy you next time...

Snotrag,

please refrain from making posts that are not constructive or you will be moderated. If you have comments to make pertaining to a particular person on this board, please take it up on a personal level.

I agree that everyone has an opinion that they have the right to express, and I don't want to start a flame war. Please simply don't post messages like the last one you posted. You understand why.

Thanks for understanding. I look forward to seeing your future posts.

snotrag29
05-01-2002, 12:34 PM
Lets be a little more pragmatic....when you need work, you apply to every and all possible places that you can think of. You tend to go where the job is, whether it be games or film, or even your brother-in-laws landscaping business if it pays better. C'mon, who hasn't applied to ILM? But god damn, jobs are more plentiful in the games business aren't they.

Working in film does not mean that you don't enjoy playing games as a hobby...and working in games does not mean you aren't passionate about the films you watch. So i don't buy into the games as my passion idea. I'm more interested in doing the best possible job wherever I work....

bentllama
05-01-2002, 02:43 PM
snotrag29...

...I am always ready for a clean debate, but this is not a forum for flaming...through flaming, your views are neither pragmatic nor profound...

SlipKorn
05-01-2002, 11:34 PM
Well snotrag, you'd get a better job out of it.

I'm a film guy too...by that, I mean I've watched a film or two in the last week. Does that count?

Dela
05-07-2002, 10:34 AM
i also find that alot of artists are coming from the comic field which is cool. but yes there is a lot of skill needed for game artists. eg.. for a modeller point of view i dont know how many times my workmate who models my characters cleans up other peoples models. He can make 2 identical models that have a difference of about 200 to 300 polys and you cant tell the difference. but in all honesty if they love games and love their job that's all that matters

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.