PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum-Forming Effect

Thatch
06-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Im looking into an effect for an animation which requires various objects to pop out from under a plane in a vacuum-forming style, initially i was thinking of using soft bodies. But ive just been reading the nCloth features and noticed that 'Deformable plastics and metals can also be created with Maya nCloth' and 'Artists can shape and influence results toward a manually modeled target (pose) even while the simulation is running'

Before i waist my time trying to find out as Ive never used nCloth, does anybody know if it would be an option to achieve this effect.

Check out this link on vacuum-forming http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGBRiYhxRTM

Cheers:)

tpalamar
06-05-2008, 05:06 PM
nCloth is perfect for this. I would model a frame and then place a plane inside the frame. The plane will need to be dense in order to get all the detail of the vacuumed formed object. Add a ncloth point to surface constraint to the border edges of the plane to the frame. Make your solid object (vacuum form model) a passive nCloth object. Make the plane an active nCloth object. Hand animate the frame moving over your vacuum form model and nCloth will do the rest. Of course some tweaking but should be pretty straight forward.

particlefx
06-10-2008, 04:44 PM
ncloth is the exact tool....deform resistance will give the required effect...

CGTalk Moderation
06-10-2008, 04:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.