PDA

View Full Version : Cloud - Fanart, Naska (2D)

naska
05-20-2003, 05:57 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/39606/nascloud_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/39606/nascloud.jpg)

Hello, this is my first post at CG Talk so I'm a bit nervous since this place is bustling with so much talent! My friend talked me into posting this image here, I hope it's OK :blush:

This is a fan-art of a game character from Final Fantasy 7 but in his re-mixed outfit version seen in Kingdom Hearts. The pose and character was done from my head initially and I used reference to fix details that I had missed (I normally try to draw things from memory or pose in front of a mirror when I get stuck). The colors were done using photoshop.

Thank you very much for taking a peek at my work! (bows) ;)

(seems like there's problems with the avatar section so I currently don't have one *sob*)

jeroentje
05-20-2003, 06:10 PM
Excellent work :thumbsup:
One minor thing: a sword is very heavy and he is holding it like it is made out of cardboard.

Anyway, I like this piece a lot, nice work on your website also.
Welcome to cgtalk, keep posting :)

Cheers, Jeroentje
btw, you need to make 20 posts before you can have an avatar.

freddy7133d
05-20-2003, 07:05 PM
that looks amaing!!:buttrock: post more of your work....:)

Hellwolve
05-20-2003, 08:44 PM
Great site, and great artwork!

You'll get an extra point from me for the music on your site; I really like Take Five by Charlie Parker :beer:

naska
05-21-2003, 05:49 AM
Thank you for your kind comments! I will definitely post again (concept art or something next time ;)
Mr. Jeroentje> actually that character carries around a sword that's about the length of his body and swings it around like a feather ...but it is a tad odd isn't it? LOL Thank you for your critique though; I will make sure to keep it in mind for my future projects!

slug
05-21-2003, 11:58 AM
awesome work, we want more :D

ckw01hk
05-21-2003, 02:44 PM
Great great!!
like the pencil lines together with the finishing image .

one comment to the pic is to add a small reflection highlight on his back coz the shading there is too dark.

great piece~~~:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

mattregnier
05-21-2003, 03:18 PM
Can't really see anything other than what others have already said. This piece is a big :thumbsup: and amazing work for your first post here.

jeroentje
05-21-2003, 03:38 PM
Thank you for your kind comments! I will definitely post again (concept art or something next time ;)
Cool, hope you will :)

actually that character carries around a sword that's about the length of his body and swings it around like a feather ...but it is a tad odd isn't it? [...] [/B]
Okay, I get it ;)
Anyway, I did a quick google search for a Scottish Claymore-sword, just for myself, because I thought the handle (in search for a better word?) needs to be a bit bigger to hold it with 2 hands. (Not to prove anything, I'm just a reference-freak :shrug: )
The search-result was just too good not to post it.
http://www.medievaltimes.com/giftshop/swordclaymore.cfm

I love your render with the sketch shining through. Great colour use also :)

Teyon
05-22-2003, 01:05 AM
Excellent Cloud! One of my favorite characters in any form from any game (though I lean towards the ff7 version). I'll put my vote in to see more!

NXTB
05-22-2003, 01:49 AM
I'm usually not a fan of this anime-inspired stuff, but this is amazing, a truly excellent job. I agree that the hilt looks a little weird but it's not a big deal.

Awesome.

Phoric
05-22-2003, 01:53 AM
Very nice! :buttrock: I love the FF characters. His outfit is bad-ass!

ed209
05-22-2003, 01:59 AM
I love everything except for the hair and face. It just seems a off to me, maybe it's a bit more feminine compared to other pics I have seen of this character. Rest of it rocks though. :thumbsup:

ansonkit
05-22-2003, 02:00 AM
nice nice nice...hving the original genre in ur inspiration and add in more ur own self-impression is a very nice master piece...

especially the eye expression is maintain the very ori feeling but the overall sketching stroke is very original from ur own...good...

keep it up n dun let it stop...

S E D A H
05-22-2003, 02:00 AM
Really nice character you got there Cloud is Really well done
hope its really Cloud is name :lightbulb
Great Work

seantree
05-22-2003, 02:17 AM
nice work. cloud kicks soo much ass!! keep up the great work, no cits here.

xasteycracker
05-22-2003, 02:17 AM
This is great work here . i like the shading and you style. and again great work :thumbsup:

Derlaine
05-22-2003, 02:24 AM
deleted text because i can't delete the post

shaangfx
05-22-2003, 02:26 AM
hey i like it!
nice clouring style! :bounce: :)

HapZungLam
05-22-2003, 02:32 AM
he is cooler than the original character layout

bumskee
05-22-2003, 03:05 AM
:beer:
fantastic!!!
reminds me of the times i spent playing ff7!! damn that was good.
Excellent work man!

YOU BETTER POST MORE!!!!

:beer: :beer:

Menge
05-22-2003, 03:25 AM
NASKA-----------------A!!!!!!!!

very good!!! congrats! congrats! congrats!

i loved the style, like... making the criss-crossed sketchy lines! the painting is also suberb!

i had seen your work before on pendako and have loved it :P

congrats again!

rquinn
05-22-2003, 03:34 AM
Wo
first post you do you make the front page
hmm
congrats

dg3d
05-22-2003, 03:34 AM
I like this one very much, the colors and the style of the picture are awesome. Very good work indeed and congratulation for the frontpage.

boxcrash
05-22-2003, 03:40 AM
Sweet, awesome job. I love it!!:) :buttrock: :bounce: :thumbsup:

BiTMAP
05-22-2003, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by jeroentje
Cool, hope you will :)

Okay, I get it ;)
Anyway, I did a quick google search for a Scottish Claymore-sword, just for myself, because I thought the handle (in search for a better word?) needs to be a bit bigger to hold it with 2 hands. (Not to prove anything, I'm just a reference-freak :shrug: )

I love your render with the sketch shining through. Great colour use also :)

lol thats crazy, that claymore in the picture is the same one my pastor has at his office (he's a pastor of a christian church). He uses it for illistrations at times when things need to use force, then he's got his sheppards stick for when things need to be guideing and not painful. I thought it funny. Also your friend was good to talk you into posting this picture, this is NICE :D

facial
05-22-2003, 03:53 AM
Hey, naska
Very nice work you did, i want to see more, Keep post up.:thumbsup:

Emberghost
05-22-2003, 04:23 AM
WOW first post and he is on the front! Great colors as well as the whole thing itself rocks :buttrock:

rayz
05-22-2003, 05:21 AM
nice..... nice :applause:

beautiful, ecellent work :beer:

MakoHaze
05-22-2003, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by jeroentje
Okay, I get it ;)

Heh, I'm just curious why you'd use a Claymore as a reference to Cloud's sword. I know that Claymores are well known two-handed swords, however they are very different than Cloud's sword. Cloud's sword is about 65 inches by 12 inches. However, I do agree with you. Actually, the hilt on Cloud's sword would have to be nearly 3 feet long to get the leverage needed to carry a sword like that :P

Anyway, I love the piece! Cloud is one of my favoured RPG heros, and his design in KH was awesome. Great job!

Larry_g1s
05-22-2003, 06:00 AM
Hey wow! Great job. I like how you used Cloud from Kindom Hearts. The colors look great as well. :thumbsup:

jason-slab
05-22-2003, 06:26 AM
:surprised great peace of work:thumbsup:

Blackrainbow
05-22-2003, 07:08 AM
Nice, very nice, i like the colors of the pic:thumbsup:

Dezzo
05-22-2003, 08:12 AM
super! :applause:

can u do one of Tifa? :drool:

i love that sketchy feeling.

sometimes too clean a work, it gets boring ya?

:shrug:

ZVAN
05-22-2003, 08:56 AM
good mixing, cloud and the char from kingdom hearts! haha.. i like the style too.. are u from squaresoft?:drool:

Napa!m
05-22-2003, 09:28 AM
EXCELLENT WORK!!!:eek:
:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Solesurvivor
05-22-2003, 09:33 AM
omg , you've captured the spirit of the character very well, excellent job :thumbsup:

FabioMSilva
05-22-2003, 10:09 AM
beautiful
hope one day i can do somethin like that

:thumbsup:

kiwi123
05-22-2003, 10:34 AM
Very very nice !

Keep up the good work !

:buttrock:

TonyMesiatowsky
05-22-2003, 01:04 PM
very cool :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

derekserra
05-22-2003, 01:52 PM
quote:
----------------
this is my first post at CG Talk so I'm a bit nervous since this place is bustling with so much talent! My friend talked me into posting this image here, I hope it's OK.
----------------

Excellent work! The only problem I can see with it isn't the picture itself, but your lack of confidence in it. You should be very proud of your work. Not just because it's very good (which it is), but because it's YOURS.
I barely have the skill to draw a person with correct proportions and detail. I am proud of my drawing though, because it looks better than the stick figure I used to draw.
Remember: You are your own worst critic.

Sorry, I just had to say something. :)

I went to your website... the Electra picture was AWESOME! I would love to see a step by step of your coloring methods.

the ever-lurking,
Nerfie

P.S. You're right, there is a lot of talent here... and you belong with it.

JohnD
05-22-2003, 02:33 PM
Picture rocks man. Great job.:buttrock:

SquirrelyJones
05-22-2003, 03:24 PM
that kicks ass, you gotta make it a wallpaper, I'm getting tired of having to resize and crop all the cool stuff you guys churn out.:p

derekserra
05-22-2003, 06:35 PM
The Elektra off the website makes great wallpaper. ;)

Vormm
05-23-2003, 07:31 AM
Great colouring. And Cloud even looks like Cloud.
Keep up the good werk.:p

9th Legion
05-23-2003, 09:13 AM
nothing to comment on this work. I don't agree with the sword being too heavy as jeroentje said, it's really normal in the FF/KH world, so.... no real comments here, just praise:applause:

cheers

lildragon
05-23-2003, 09:30 PM
Very solid rendition, I love your line work! The only thing that bugs me a bit is the lighting on his right bicep, other than that it's well done

Please be sure to enter your images into Expose also http://www.cgtalk.com/expose

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Very good work.

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_may03.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com so I can send you the award .psd file

salud

Iris
05-23-2003, 10:30 PM
I love it :love:

and I like espacially the works you do together with Cheryl Austin

shambler
05-24-2003, 07:16 PM
*right click- save image as* shieeeeeaaaaeeeet!!! thaz the best cloud fan art I've ever seen - u are such a bitch :buttrock:

naska
05-26-2003, 08:30 AM
Thank you so much for your comments! I still can't believe the image even won an award (faints) @@

Derlaine> wow, FAHQ...I haven't heard that name in SO long! This world is so small isn't it? I actually visited your site a week ago... didn't think you visited this forum. Cool!

Dezzo> I was actually thinking of doing a redesign of Tifa for fun! We should all make our own Tifas :)

Nerfie> Thank you for your encouragement! There is so much talent out there though that sometimes I have a hard time appreciating the work I do. I believe though that the image I posted must be somewhat good since it won an award...I hope I can keep producing work that I can be proud of like that :) I wish you luck in your own art as well!

Michael> I will try to make a wallpaper version and post it in this thread :)

Lildragon> I've emailed you, thank you so much! (does a happy jig)

http://pendako.syste.ms/temp/cloudstrife.jpg
This is an image of Cloud with his sword. I guess the hilt I drew was too short but you can tell how huge that sword is XD I forgot to mention that in video games, design and exaggeration comes before function. ;)

Vash T Stampede
05-26-2003, 10:46 AM
excellent work!
you can never go wrong with cloud..

naska
05-26-2003, 11:06 AM
I slapped together a wallpaper for those who'd like it (so much for my lack of graphic design skillz):

wallpaper of doom (http://pendako.syste.ms/newart/nascloud_wallpaper.jpg)

Thank thee Mr. Vash! (BTW, Vash is an awesome character isn't he?)

rquinn
05-26-2003, 01:37 PM
hey naska
i was wondering the motheds you used to color this baby
the shades are so smooth
anyway I do marker work so its not as clean
maybe you can share your way of working?

hanzo
05-31-2003, 05:48 AM
naska dude your talent fa manga is excellent, I going to take your tuts :wip:

TZYdaCG
05-31-2003, 06:08 AM
go MANGA!

Intonater
06-12-2003, 05:53 AM
Good work , but I hope to enjoy the style of yourself.:thumbsup:

naska
06-12-2003, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by -R.Quinn
hey naska
i was wondering the motheds you used to color this baby
the shades are so smooth
anyway I do marker work so its not as clean
maybe you can share your way of working?

I used the greyscale technique to color this image...there are quite a lot of tutorials out there on how to color in this method but it basically involves creating a black and white image first and then using colored layers on top of it in "color" mode (PS). I think alot of game artists use this method of coloring :)

Intonater: I'm not sure what you meant by "style of yourself"...I have a different illustrative style that is not anime but I'm not too happy with it :/ The "anime" style I used for the Cloud image is my own anime style that I've developed over the years in Japan though :)

Glowfinger
06-18-2003, 06:22 PM
The colours the sytles, JUST CLASS. :beer:

perostec
06-25-2003, 07:17 PM
maaaan. u shouldn't be affraid to post ur stuff here. It rocks
my ass off. Really like manga art!!!
:buttrock: :buttrock:

Levitateme
06-26-2003, 06:02 AM
one of my favorite games of all time, i hate when people butcher great characters, im glad you didnt do that to cloud. that is fantasitc pencils, great pic!

Meilinia
11-18-2004, 07:40 AM
Yay, I love cloud fanart, hes so cute! Really nicely done ^^

RustyNail
11-29-2004, 09:25 PM
Very nice! looks perfect:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.