PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

SergeantOreo
06-01-2008, 04:12 AM
I didn't know where to post this so I thought it would go in this section.
I am considering buying a tablet (first time) and want to get some good
software for it too. My budget is not very big but I can most likely find some
good deals. The advice part comes in on helping me choose what fits my needs
best. In general, I am just looking for a good program that will allow me to draw/create art (maybe realistic pencils, etc). The reason this post was created was because while I have read software reviews, you guys have used the software and can recommend from experience which is best. Below is the list of options (not final and subject to change).

Also, if you could share somewhat about tablets and which might be your choice if you were getting your first tablet...

UPDATED: I've been doing some more researching and am almost done deciding (hopefully).
My most likely choices are going to be an Intuos3 4x6 and Adobe Photoshop. I still can't decide between CS2 or CS3 (more research...) ^_^

Any good ideas on where to purchase tablets and Photoshop?
I can get the Intuos3 for $199 here. http://www.academicsuperstore.com/q/PartNo-qk_srch/f/market-marketdisp/v/763404-Intuos3+4x6+Wide-Format+USB+Tablet+for+Win+/+Mac.html?sourcecode=s10142&promocode=se09NU&utm_source=PriceGrabber&utm_medium=Comp%2BEngine&utm_campaign=se09NU
As for Photoshop, I may just get it off Craig's List.

Suggestions? Please let me know. Thank you.

Software Possibilities

Adobe Photoshop CS2 or CS3
ArtRage

Tablet Options

Wacom Bamboo Fun Medium
Intuos 3 4 x 6

Trambott
06-01-2008, 05:35 AM
I can't speak for any of the other applications apart from photoshop. It was the first imaging program I used and I have never found a need to go and look at anything else. So obviously photoshop gets my vote on that subject.
As far as tablets go I would get the intuos 3 if you can afford it.
I first bought a wacom graphite 3 and hated using it, I found it extremely sluggish and non responsive, and it had some really annoying features to it, for example if you took the pen off the tablet while up in a corner of the tablet and then put the pen back down in the corner, the mouse pointer would go back to centre of screen. Could just be me not adjusting the settings properly, but it annoyed me to the point where I went and bought the intuos3.
As for size each to there own on that one. I personally like the mid sized one(can't remember what its dementions are). The small one I found to small, and the big one involved to much arm movement for my liking. As I said each to there own on that one.

SergeantOreo
06-01-2008, 05:48 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. The Intuos 6 x 8 was taken off my first post since
I realized it is too expensive for me so that brings it down to the Bamboo Fun or the Intuos3 4 x 6. I am not sure which will be the final choice though price definitely is an important factor since I am going to get software also.

kraal
06-02-2008, 03:28 AM
i say sell your couch and get the 6x8

Trambott
06-02-2008, 04:13 AM
I agree with Kraal, its just a bit to small the one you are after.
I don't know if you are already taking this route, but also consider getting a student version of photoshop(if adobe has them, which i'd be surprised if they didn't), this should be a hell of lot cheaper than a commercial licience of the software if your just intending to study it. Wait on the commercial licence till your earning some cash and can right it off on tax. Which I presume you can do in the states, I only know of the Australian tax system.
Buying direct from adobe is generally the cheapest option, however look around at some of the bigger software retailers as well, sometimes they sell products at loss for promo purposses, however its rare. Also haggle ya butt off, general retail mark up on products is 30%, so they do have room to offer a discount.
As for which version of Photoshop to get. My general rule of thumb is that latest is better, but if your new to photoshop I doubt you will notice to much between cs2 and cs3, untill you become more skilled in the use of the product.
heh hope I'm not making your decision more confusing.

SergeantOreo
06-03-2008, 12:07 AM
Well, I don't know how this will work out in the end, but I did a ton
more research last night and part of today and found probably some
of the lowest prices (i've decided on CS3). Maybe I will buy on Ebay.

It turns out, the Adobe student version can be used for commercial! =D
Through an official Adobe re-seller, I found CS3 at a good price (will still check Craig's List).
http://www.studica.com/products/product_detail.cfm?productid=53050

Tablet-related, is an Intuos3 4x6 really too small? The 6x8 is a bit more expensive (still found a good deal though).
http://www.studica.com/products/product_detail.cfm?productid=11443
I'm going to still keep my eyes open for deals and do a little more searching (Craig's List, etc). Please post your thoughts on Intuos tablets and such.
Thank you!

Trambott
06-03-2008, 03:57 AM
The 4x6 will get the job done, as the ladies say, its not the size that matters but how you use it :p
I'm biased towards 6x8 because I work in broadcast graphics and the tablet size is almost the same size as 16:9 image.
Personally I think the 4x6 is just a little to cramped for working on, however you may find it suits your purposes nicely. Maybe try and get into a store and see if they will let you have a play around on the 2 different sizes, so you can make a more informed decision on it.

SergeantOreo
06-03-2008, 04:28 AM
Hi Trambott,

Thanks for your response (thank you to everyone actually!).

Yes, trying both sizes in-store would definitely be a good idea.
But first, I need to tell my parents about the idea (maybe I'll make a .pdf proposal with a laser pointer xD). If they approve, then I will go out and try both sizes. I am not going to buy from in-store though (as there are better deals online). Most likely, an attempt to buy both CS3 and the Intuos3 will be made through Ebay, as I think I can get the best prices there.

CGTalk Moderation
06-03-2008, 04:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.