PDA

View Full Version : Performance decreases after polygon delete

ETCHA-SKETCH
05-31-2008, 09:05 PM
I took one of my smooth skinned characters and deleted a fairly large amount of faces (polygons) from the mesh. (the entire chest cavity)

I applied > smooth skin > remove unused influences to the mesh.

Now when I re-orientate the skeleton rig everything is very sluggish. (Prior to deleteing the faces everything worked without any delay.)

I would have thought that by removing the faces that performance would have been increased.

Is there some other way of doing this ?

What I am doing is modelling a different shirt for the character. I am taking the old skin weight information and transferring it onto the shirt. (using copy skin wieghts tool)
I thought this would make sense to copy the weights onto the new sub-mesh (shirt) and then delete the faces of the base mesh which were in sense not being used any longer because they would be visibly concealed beneath the shirt.

I'm not new with Maya, but I am out of habit with it.

Any ideas or help would be great. But, please be gentle on me if I'm going about this in the wrong manner !

Thank you

Me109
06-02-2008, 04:30 PM
maybe you couldve switched off history before deleting the faces..

normally i'd delete all history then reskin.... best performance that way..

you could edit a duplicate and use 'substitute geometry'

either way.. do all your editing before skinning..

CGTalk Moderation
06-02-2008, 04:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.