PDA

View Full Version : Installing Shake on Linux?

kibble
05-31-2008, 07:25 PM
Does anyone know how to install Shake on Linux. It's got me completely and utterly stumped!!

beaker
06-01-2008, 12:56 AM
Copy it to your computer and set all the environment variables listed for it in the manual and put shake in your $PATH.

kibble
06-03-2008, 11:46 PM
OK, see this is where I come unstuck because what you just said... whoosh... straight over my head.

Linux is like Japanese to me. And I don't speak Japanese. I just don't get it. I can't find simple to follow instructions. Even a supposed step by step guide has me banging my head against the desk after step 2. It makes me feel like an idiot. And I'm not. Seems you have to be a programmer with a degree from MIT to get anything working in Linux that isn't already part of the system.

I think i'm going to have to forget this. I can't find anything about Linux or installing Shake that makes any sense to me.

:shrug:

beaker
06-04-2008, 06:17 PM
try this here:

http://www.google.com/notebook/public/13682880227733313552/BDUThIgoQz-CqhaUj

kibble
06-05-2008, 08:15 PM
Super thanks! I will give that a go!

However, I am using Ubuntu x64, and i've read on some other forums that people have had real trouble getting Shake to work in that. But i'll see how it goes...!

Math-Ares
06-25-2008, 04:50 AM
Hi everybody!!
I'm also using Shake under linux.
my distro is opensuse.

In version 10.2 or earlier Shake works ok.
But in 10.3 not.
I folow this steps :
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quick howto for Shake 4.0/4.1:

make sure, you have write permissions to Shakes lib/ directory - in our environment it's for example: /usr/nreal/shake-v4.00.0607/lib

download the RPM file libX11-1.0.3-8.fc7.i386.rpm (ftp://195.220.108.108/linux/fedora/releases/7/Everything/i386/os/Fedora/libX11-1.0.3-8.fc7.i386.rpm) and copy it to a temporary directory, for example: /var/tmp

then: cd /var/tmp

extract the required libX11.so.6.2.0 from the RPM file: rpm2cpio libX11-1.0.3-8.fc7.i386.rpm | cpio -idmv ./usr/lib/libX11.so.6.2.0

move (and rename) this file into Shake's local library path, for example: mv ./usr/lib/libX11.so.6.2.0 /usr/nreal/shake-v4.00.0607/lib/libX11.so.6

If you're using Shake 4.1, you are done here. For Shake 4.0 you need to change the Shake startup script file shake located in Shake's bin/ directory - create a backup copy of that file before you make any changes

Open the shake startup script with a text editor and find the lines:

if ${?LD_LIBRARY_PATH} then
setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/usr/lib:${NR_SHAKE_LOCATION}/lib:${NR_SHAKE_LOCATION}/lib/mesa:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH};
else
setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/usr/lib:${NR_SHAKE_LOCATION}/lib:${NR_SHAKE_LOCATION}/lib/mesa;
endif

change the two lines beginning with LD_LIBRARY_PATH as follows:

if ${?LD_LIBRARY_PATH} then
setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH ${NR_SHAKE_LOCATION}/lib:${NR_SHAKE_LOCATION}/lib/mesa:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:/usr/lib
else
setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH ${NR_SHAKE_LOCATION}/lib:${NR_SHAKE_LOCATION}/lib/mesa:/usr/lib
endif

So, remove /usr/lib: in the beginning and put it to the end as shown above.

That's it for the 4.0 version. Save the file and try to start Shake.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And in 10.3 it work Ok

But I upgrade the OS to opensuse 11

in simple install: same problem as 10.3

doing the same previous solution shell says cant find libXdmcp.so.6

so I get tthis file from xorg-x11-libs 6.8.2 rpm

then i copy the libXdmcp.so.6 file to lib folder too and then it Works!!!

Best Regards!

beaker
06-25-2008, 07:30 PM
doing the same previous solution shell says cant find libXdmcp.so.6

so I get tthis file from xorg-x11-libs 6.8.2 rpm

then i copy the libXdmcp.so.6 file to lib folder too and then it Works!!!This is a commom problem under linux when applications using dynamic libraries which point to a specific name/version number. All you need to do is take /usr/lib/libXdmcp.so and link it to a /usr/lib/libXdmcp.so.6.

Your only going to cause future problems of shake crashing if you copy that file to the shake lib directory.

Math-Ares
06-25-2008, 07:49 PM
Hello beaker
Yes, you are right, but I'm using shake without problems since I Do that.
The problem was, I need to have installed in /usr/lib/ another libraries, incompatibles with this one so i have no choice.
Thank you for make more complete this thread!

CGTalk Moderation
06-25-2008, 07:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.