PDA

View Full Version : Electron Micro stuff

ErickG
04-22-2002, 10:45 AM
http://home.earthlink.net/~egeisler/_uimages/dof_tangleR.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~egeisler/_uimages/branchR.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~egeisler/_uimages/weird.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~egeisler/_uimages/rendersquigR.jpg

Just a few images using L-systems, sub-pixel displacment and DOF with the new entropy rendering system. I am working on a project that has that electron micro look.

-Erick

looks like my ISP killed the link to the files!!!!!! I'll get them back up shortly!!!!!!:annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed:

Agent D
04-22-2002, 11:56 AM
Those look completely photorealistic in my opinion, so I don't really have any criticism...
Nice job! :buttrock:

Array
04-22-2002, 01:30 PM
Can someone please explain what L-systems and sub-pixel displacement are? Thank you in advance.

diazgl
04-22-2002, 02:13 PM
yeah, me too, i'm confused.

ErickG
04-22-2002, 03:20 PM
Sorry for the confusing post. I'll try and shed some light.

L-systems are prcedural generated models based on a mathmatical formula. They work on a mutation of a basic shapes and recur again and again in the model.

This is the same way that trees can be generated without having to model each and every limb and branch, all you have to do is write a formula (way less than the text of this post) that defines the basic shape and pattern acording to the rules of how they are created.

If you are using 3DSMAX, download the L-Systems plugin from the Blurbeta website and play around with it. You will get a basic idea from there. They are totally fun to play around with.

Sub-pixel displacment is a feature that allows the renderer to dice your model into an insane amount of geometry to get incredible detail for your displacments. This feature is currently only available in Entropy or Pixar's PRMAN as far as I know. It is worth checking out. You can get some amazing results with a light model (little geometry) and a complex shader with displacments. In short, I find it a very powerfull tool. Download the Entropy demo and play with the displacments and compair them to the Max standard. You will soon be amazed! I was.

Hope that helps.

-Erick

deathster
04-22-2002, 10:04 PM
Wow, these images look amazing.

What did you do to achieve the electron microscope "look"?

I see you used BlurBeta's L-System and Entropy's displacement. Can you give a quick run-down on how you created one of the images? Did you use video post to get the glowing look?

Thanks in advance,

Deathster

ambassador
04-23-2002, 01:37 AM
COMPRESS YOUR FILES

igor popovic
04-23-2002, 06:33 AM
Dude!
Those pics rule man, really nice stuff..they could've used you for the openning scene for 'fight club':rolleyes:, you know where the camera is inside the main character and flows through his circulatory system, and all that sweet stuff....

keep it up:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

diazgl
04-23-2002, 05:39 PM
hmmm, it's kinda like chaotic behaviour in nature (chaos theorem), which is all based on some formulas.....nice, very nice!!!

ErickG
04-23-2002, 06:25 PM
Dear All,

Thanks for the kind words. Sorry for the large files. I'm plauged with a T1 and forget to compress from time to time. Makes you jaded and a total web hog!

I did love the Fight Club opening. That is what inspired me to play with L-Systems. Kevin Mack from Digital Domain talked about using L-Systems to grow the synapses in the brain. Quite interesting stuff.

The Blur team wrote a great plug-in for L-Systems for MAX with a ton of examples. Hats-off to them!

-Erick

igor popovic
04-24-2002, 01:46 AM
Since i've seen your work:D, i went and got the l-system, had a litle trouble getting it running, but now its perfect...very interesting plug-in!!

wireFrame
04-24-2002, 01:07 PM
I understand that Houdini has built in L-Systems that was used in Fight Club.

It's also used to create trees--but I don't know much about it.

:(

Ed Lee
04-24-2002, 01:31 PM
Nice images...

Ed--

www.edleeart.com

policarpo
04-25-2002, 12:35 AM
Erick!

these images totally friggin' rock!

thanks for posting them...they are very inspiring!:buttrock:

-policarpo

ErickG
04-25-2002, 02:10 PM
Dear All,

Looks like my ISP killed the direct links to the PIX!

Anyone know of a free server with direct linking. I hate this!!!!

-Erick

Kaos
04-26-2002, 03:29 PM
www.hypermart.net support direct linking....

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.