PDA

View Full Version : Is Blender's Compositor Keyframable?

fahr
05-30-2008, 09:26 PM
I've been playing with Blender's compositor a bit and it looks very interesting. There seem to be 2 really big omissions (for me, anyway) from it that I was wondering if they are actually in there and I'm just not seeing them?

1) Can I keyframe any of my values over time?

2) Is there any masking or animated masking capability?

Sorry for my ignorance, I haven't been playing with it for very long yet. :)

brkn
05-31-2008, 12:43 AM
The animation capabilities are pretty basic at the moment. Right the keyframe system is awaiting the 'everything should be animatable' project (http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Aligorith/250_IPO_Recode). That Joshua, one of the main animation programmers plans to work on, hopefully for the next release, 2.5.

For now, the only way you can animate things in the compositor is with the Time curve node, which generates a value between 0.1 over the specified time range, that can be plugged into an input, though there are many properties that aren't available as actual inputs, and with most of those you're pretty stuck.

Joat
05-31-2008, 12:57 AM
Hi,

First of all I'm not an expert on compositor, having done some work with compositing in Blender only back in 2,37 version. I think the answer to your questions are:

1) Mostly yes but it depends. Compositor (the present Node thing) is where you lay down the flow of things and how they affect each other. The changes to the node values that occur over time are made in IPO editor and Sequence editor. There is a lot that can be done, some that can be done with some creative thinking and propably something that can't be done yet. But there is a lot of possibilities. I suggest digging in and googling for tutorials on Blender compositing. Also, if you are not unfamiliar with programming you can do virtually anything. Edit: Removed a mention about Pynodes, since they are currently only for shader nodes.

2) Yes there is. You can mask with a lot of different methods. There's chromakeying, z-masking, and some more or less weird masking plugins that do different things. But when it comes to masking moving footage, it is again mostly done in Sequence editor.
I have seen some excellent tutorials on masking stuff in Blender. Try searching www.blendernation.com (http://www.blendernation.com) for more info.

Once you get the hang of it you'll see it's not difficult and actually amazingly powerful.

Edit: Don't take my word on it. There are people more "in the know" than I am.

CGTalk Moderation
05-31-2008, 12:57 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.