PDA

View Full Version : Avenues of Opportunity for Student Volunteers?

razorbjc
05-30-2008, 05:14 AM
Hello, I was wondering what kinds of things I would bring if I was a student volunteer looking to get connections or apply for companies at SIGGRAPH. Should I make pamphets of my artwork? DVDs and Tapes? Business Cards?

Also, are there typically workshops where I could get feedback about my work so I'd know what to work on?

thanks

malducin
05-30-2008, 02:17 PM
Yes, make copies of your artwork, tapes and dvds, resumes and business cards. Never hurts. Also if possible bring a portable laptop or dvd player and put yur reel there. Many people now carry their stuff around this way and can easily show their reel, even if you run out of tapes/dvds.

There is no real workshop of reel critique, but since there are many pros attending you can always get feedback from someone. Especially at user group meetings, the exhibition floor and job fair.

Keiphus
05-30-2008, 05:51 PM
Being a Student Volunteer you will also have access to great opportunities that ONLY SV's have access to. Throughout each day of the conference the SV Committee will schedule people to come and speak inside the SV HQ. They get artists, reps, and all kinds of other people from Sony, R&H, Dreamworks, etc to come and speak to the students about different things. If you catch a break it's great to stop in and listen to what they have to say. Alot of times it will be a lead animator from Pixar (or whatever company) talking and only 15-20 students listening in. It's much better than however many thousand sit in on a paper. They're also usually willing to hang out a bit after to chat about other things, look at reels, etc. It's one of the best parts of the SV program.

CGTalk Moderation
05-30-2008, 05:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.