PDA

View Full Version : Gobelins: Summer School

indipops
05-29-2008, 04:23 PM
i was wondering if anybody has attended the gobelins summer school? and whether the amount you pay for the two weeks is worth, as i am currently saving for my masters too..... so any opinions are welcome :D

Indi

Kinematics
05-29-2008, 04:38 PM
Hey Indi,
A small group of friends and I were sent for the very first Gobelins Summer School program. Fortunately it was fully covered by the school due to the exchange rate... the pound can really sting. :)

That being said, more on the course. Well personally, They tried to cover a lot of ground and it was really good exposure to different fields in the animation industry. From history of animation to 3D studios and visits to those studios, Guys from Aardman studios to show us and share with us what they love about their jobs down to even law and copyright.

As a whole, It was really vast but overall interesting, obviously there were bad speakers too that could numb your brain.

From what I heard recently, things are really changing, with more hands on stuff and practical knowledge. Back then we did not really have that much, so you might want to check, I think hands on would really help make those 2 weeks really valuable.

But in a nutshell, Good Overall scope of the animation industry, Tells you about schools in france, A.k.a recruitment drive and its good to help you meet interesting fun people from all over the world.

Tell me what you wish to get out of this, maybe I can tell you from personal exp whether they gave that to us.

indipops
05-29-2008, 05:52 PM
Thanx for the reply :)

It sounds interesting, i guess they have to try and squeeze as much in as they can abotu everything. I'm currently looking to go into character animation or animation for visual effects..or somthing similar. So i thought the Gobelins summer school would benefit me in this way, but on reflection once accepted and the price becoming more than a plan for the summer, i'm wondering whether to save it, and either try there for a masters or else where.

Your experience reminds me a lot of Animex, if you have ever heard of it.

I'd like to just learn as much as poss really, i mean i would say my University has been lacking a little and i learnt so much from attending Animex which was 50ish quid i think. So i guess it's whether i can take away enough to justify me spending that money or saving it for in a years time.

They have sent me out the plan for the 2 weeks, i guess i just need to work out if it's the right thing to do right now or not.

CGTalk Moderation
05-29-2008, 05:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.