PDA

View Full Version : Rig transfer from Maya to Max

shibumenon
05-29-2008, 02:08 PM
Has anyone looked deep into (the ascii data contained in a) biped figure (.fig) file?

What I'm trying to do is auto-generate a cs biped skeleton using data from say Maya.
The skeleton data that I can start with can either be the world transform matrix values of each joint, or maybe an fbx file.

I already have developed tools to transfer animation between both s/ws, and also to transfer the rig info from max to maya. But coming from Maya to max with the skeleton info is a pain, since you cannot use .transform for some of the biped joints in figure mode.

The import fbx route also doesnt work well if you need to build a biped from scratch.
One possibility, I think, is to use distance between joints information from Maya to relatively scale a corresponding biped part, and the other possibility is to edit a .fig file, which happens to be an ASCII. I did try to make sense of the contents of a .fig file,

#
A fig file has integer values like 10,11,12,13, and so on, which I presume are some kind of IDs corresponding to various Biped parts.
for eg, I guess
11 : Spine
12 : Head
13 : Neck
101 : COM
These IDs are not the same as the ones we commonly use to access biped nodes through maxscript.
#
Distance between joints is stored in the fig file, which matches if I do a distance check in Max. But there's too much of data stored in the file which makes it very difficult to figure out what is what !

If anyone has gone through a similar route before and have any hints, very appreciated.

thanks
shibu

shibumenon
05-29-2008, 03:59 PM
never mind ..
I've decided to not go down the .fig file route .... its too unchartered a territory!
Using distances and setTransforms seems to be much better.

CGTalk Moderation
05-29-2008, 03:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.