PDA

View Full Version : IK Joe for MAX

daminator
05-19-2003, 10:29 PM
Hello all

I was playing around with the IK Joe rig (by Daniel Martinez) for Max yesterday and had a real love/hate relationship with it. I've only really used Character Studio for my animation before, so thought I should try out some other rigs.

I LOVED the way that the feet worked, that felt very nice, but here are a few questions to those of you who may know how to help out ...

FK arms:
Is there a toggle or animatable value for IK/FK arms on the IK Joe rig? I couldn't find one anywhere and I really don't like IK arms unless I need them.
If this isn't built into IK Joe, would it be hard to add?

Scaling the rig to the dimensions of your character for skinning:
Is there a secret to this? When I tried to scale things around, it just got messy.

The auto scaling bones:
Is there a way to adjust these? To edit the limit of the stretch or turn it off all together? This isn't as important, just wondering.

I'm sure I'll think of more if I solve these things, but that'll do for now :-)

Are there any other rigs worth looking at that you could point me in the direction of too? I'm not really into rigging enough to learn it all from scratch, but I am interested in exploring other rigs to see if I'm missing anything by mainly using Character Studio.

Thanks for any help

robioto
05-22-2003, 07:14 PM
I haven't looked at IKJoe for Max, but Michael Comet's charrigger script for 3dsmax 5 is very cool.

http://www.comet-cartoons.com/toons/3dfiles/charRigger.zip

Off the topic of rigging in max, you could also check out MotionBuilder <formerly Filmbox> by Kaydara which has a very robust rig not to mention it's ease of use via the drag and drop paradigm. This funtionality is now also available through the HumanIK plugin that Kaydara recently released. There is a downloadable trial version of it at www.turboquid.com and is part of Discreet's new DCP program.

You can buy a freelance license of MotionBuilder for $100. at www.3dbuzz.com that is unlimited respective to use for commercial ie. money making applications but does expire in a year. You will be able to upgrade to a permanent license in August for another $100. but that version while implementing new features will supposedly lack mo-cap editing functionality.

-r

dooom
05-26-2003, 07:43 PM
i would suggest building 2 rigs for the arms. you can build an ik and an fk rig than make an expression to blend between the two. it works like a charm. if you need more help drop me an email. dshy@digipen.edu

ninjacore
06-05-2003, 03:52 PM
this is an intresting thread.

i too have played around with IK joe for hours, trying to figure out whats been used and how i could translate it on my own rig.

i love how the legs work, and the arm controllers are great.
however, i would love to see what IK joe looks like witha proper mesh around it.

is he built with normal bones? or are they boxes?

Mahlon
06-06-2003, 01:30 AM
From what I remember (not in front of max right now), they're almost all bones with edit mesh modifiers on them. I think there's maybe one box in there acting as a bone.

I've made a rig recently based on IK Joe with a few small changes. What I liked the best in IK Joe is the foot setup. It's so simple and works great.

Mahlon Bouldin

owiik
06-11-2003, 10:52 AM
dooom:
I would like to know more about fk and learn the advantages over ik. I havenīt seen a good example of this in max yet.
Could you please explain to me(us) how an arm with 2 rigs (fk/ik) works and how it is done, a screenshot and some explanation would be great or a max file.

I like Ik joe also, I really like how the feet works . The controllers are nice and easy to use.

grury
06-13-2003, 10:03 PM
Hey Damian, let us know if you find any tutorials on the IK Joe rig, I've just started looking into it and also found that the IK arms are a bit of a pain.

Cheers

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.