PDA

View Full Version : 8600M GT and XP ,, Mmm

Mo3allem
05-27-2008, 11:05 PM
So after I installed vista " that was like 2 months ago " I thought of going back to XP just to use Cinebench with it again and compare it with the vistas' one" I'm kinda forget how much did XP gived me :)" ,, anyway in Vista I got 31xx and with XP I got 37xx ,, but that "600 point is not the deal " I realized that I was Using an old driver with xp " the one that camed with the laptop ,, so I just download a new driver " 174.93 I guess :hmm: " and after the installition and restart ,I opened Cinebench and started the OGL test , and Guess what , I got 43xx in the first time !! Man I was going to have a heart attack when I saw that result , 43xx !! that is 600 points more than I had be4 I checked it again and again and it gived me the same result for like 5 times :) Oh and that is better than the vista result by 12xx point !! OMG , 1200 point !! is that true or Am I dreaming ?! that is 30% more than Vista , and Yes vista is using the latest driver for my GFX card ,,

So is that what I get from vista ?!! ,, yes I love its new design , aero , blah ,, blah ,,,, bla,,, but 1200 points !!!

So, who else here wants to share his benchmarks using Cinebench ,, and what can u suggest me to do to enhance the perfomance ,, I mean I close windows sidebar , check the disable desktop compsition , choose the windows xp sp2 compitabilty mode ,,, and still stuck with the 31xx :/

C U guys ,, :(

chromecity
05-28-2008, 03:51 AM
About 10 days ago we ran through something similar (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=47&t=629274) where my 9600GT was performing worse in Vista than my 8600GT was in XP. It seems that the current state of Vista or drivers for Vista, etc., is not achieving the best OpenGL performance that is capable from nVidia hardware.

You could check if Mash's Cinebench database (http://www.3dfluff.com/mash/cinebench/top.php) has any new entries (I know I submitted mine) in the GeForce 8xxx or 9xxx families, but it seems to be messed up at the moment (bunch of mysql mumbo-jumbo where the benchmark table should be).

Here's another Cinebench database (http://www.tabsnet.com/index.php?option=com_benchmark&task=list&bid=7&sysid=0&bcount=106&sortby=3) that someone directed me to from the other thread and it has quite a few GeForce 8xxx and 9xxx entries.

Mo3allem
05-28-2008, 08:14 AM
So r u still using vista or reterned to XP ?

fxgogo
05-28-2008, 08:47 AM
I got similar results with xp and vista on my Dell Vostro 1700 laptop. I kept vista on there to do test and see how it grew on me. Well I must admit, vista may go the way of the dodo. It is such a waste of cpu cycles not to mention hard drive wear.

Mo3allem
05-28-2008, 02:16 PM
So I think that I will settle now with XP and reinstall it on my "100 GB Partion" and leave the other " 60 GB " for vista to see If the sp2 is going to fix those slowdowns ,, anyway , where can I benchmark my "DirectX" score ?? 3dmark ??

chromecity
05-28-2008, 02:56 PM
So r u still using vista or reterned to XP ?The box with the 9600GT came with Vista and I'm probably going to leave it even though it isn't helping my OpenGL very much. But even the slower OpenGL still seems plenty usable for most of the scenes I've tried it with. Of course, it would always be nicer if it were faster.

A lot of people do seem to be unhappy with Vista (for a wide variety of reasons) and prefer XP. I'm a software developer by trade, so I've been using the Vista betas for years before it actually shipped and have gotten accustomed to its quirks. But out of 20 computers, I'm only using Vista on 2 of them and XP Pro on 17. (The other one is a Mac with Leopard).

Mo3allem
05-28-2008, 03:36 PM
even the DirectX seems to be slower ,, I use Crysis' editor " Running the demo version of Crysis " and with the specs config set to medium both in XP and Vista ,, and the resoluation of the screen is 1280*800 "" but the editor view is slighty smaller "" I get like 10 Fps boost in XP ! it is really smooth in XP and real pleasure to use ,, :/

But even the slower OpenGL still seems plenty usable for most of the scenes I've tried it with. Of course, it would always be nicer if it were faster.

Yes I agree with u ,, as u said it will became handy sometimes and it is always good to be faster ,, and getting this boosts in games is something I would really like to have , I'm not a real gamer " I just play TDU and Enjoy watching Crysis GFX with a glass of Orange :cool: " but I want those Fps !

camelot
05-29-2008, 08:27 AM
I have a few machines running with XP but no Vista until now.
Especially when I read this, perfomance lag compared to XP, give me any reason to use Vista and don't tell me it's the cool look of the new interface. You must be kidding then.
So why using it at all?

chromecity
05-29-2008, 09:39 AM
Well I have a hard time answering that because I am not much of a fan of Vista either. In my particular case, it was mainly to get the most usable memory from my machine. The 3GB switch in XP (32-bit) never worked well for me. The motherboard in my Vista box is maxed out at 4GB of RAM, so it wasn't worth it to go to a 64-bit O/S (either XP64 or Vista64). Especially since those have their own incompatibility issues - particularly with plug-ins that for one reason or another never get recompiled for them. So since I could not enjoy the 64-bit addressing with my 4GB limitation on the motherboard, 32-bit Vista made sense from a memory standpoint. I can get nearly 3.5GB of physical memory available, and that's much better than the <2GB that XP would provide me. I'll make sure my next system doesn't have such a small memory limit and then it will be time to decide whether to go with XP64 or Vista64. Hopefully, that's not the choice I'll have to make. I'd much prefer to go to Leopard on a Mac Pro if I can swing it. :cool:

fxgogo
06-02-2008, 01:20 PM
...anyway , where can I benchmark my "DirectX" score ?? 3dmark ??

i have been using cinebench as it relates closely to Cinema4D which I use.

chromecity
06-02-2008, 02:59 PM
But since neither Cinema 4D nor Cinebench use DirectX, that doesn't fit the bill for what Mo3allem was asking about there. 3DMark is indeed a good choice for DirectX benchmarking.

CGTalk Moderation
06-02-2008, 02:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.