PDA

View Full Version : Rig mermaid?

tiaka
05-28-2008, 12:04 AM
Hi there
Could someone please help me
I am trying to rig a memaid but I not sure if I am doing it right since she has basically only one leg joined to her spine. When I apply the ikhandle from her top leg to the bottom of her tail and then move the ikhandle her whole body moves. Whereas when rigging two legs the joints are split at top of the legs and join together at root enabling me to move the ikhandle for the leg. Her spine remain stationary.
Is there a way to move her leg without moving her spine with a ikhandle?
In other words what is a simple way to rig a mermaid?

Look forward to your ideas

Thanks Tiaka

theflash
05-28-2008, 01:38 AM
The I would think is that it's still human till pelvis. So everything goes same till pelvis. And then instead of two legs I would just put one. Or I think you can again use spline IK or similar setup for the tail or any method which can be used for fish tail. I dont see any trouble with that setup. I am not sure if you (or me) are missing something. But again it depends on the purpose of your character. How you want it to act. May be draw some poses first or gather some references of body movements. That will give you a very fair idea.

Paul B
06-25-2008, 04:35 AM
It might depend on wether she's swimming around or just sitting on a rock and talking. For sitting poses it would probably be best to rig her with "one leg" but I think you'll get smoother swimming action if you were to rig her like a fish (just a head with a tail coming out of it).

CGTalk Moderation
06-25-2008, 04:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.