PDA

View Full Version : Rotoscoping = not fun

button_monkey3d
05-19-2003, 10:29 PM
I just finished rotoscoping 3 min of DV footage in AE and found it incredibly tedious. I was looking into getting commotion for future projects and would like to know how it stacks up. I know it use to be a really great program for rotoscoping but I havenít heard much about it since Pinnacle bought it. Does anyone have direct experience that would like to share their thoughts.

Thanks

Aruna
05-21-2003, 01:24 AM
I hope you're not going frame by frame. :) What sort of technique are you using to rotoscope? Rotoscoping is definitely tedious, and it's also mind numbing.. You don't really have to think too much, just getting the matte correct! And three minutes is quite the insane roto. Do you really need all three minutes?

Danilo Buendia
05-21-2003, 01:29 AM
I'm curious, what made the job difficult?

The functions should be similar, although I DO love the roto tools in Commotion Pro.

Can you explain what you were working on?

-Danilo

button_monkey3d
05-21-2003, 10:23 PM
Hi guys sorry for the delay in responding.

Aruna
The technique that I used for keyframeing was to first make keyframes at all the major poses, then take half the distance and adjust the matte, half it again, and so on until it looked decent. I still ended up with more keyframes then I would have liked, but it was for a fast moving person(s). I used different splines for each body part, head, body, legs and arms. That was a real time saver.

Unfortunately I did need all three minutes. It was my first real roto project and the results came out pretty good, but I need to try and expedite the process a little more in the future. I was just wondering if commotionís b-Splines were a lot easier/faster to use. It seemed very time consuming using AEís Bezier splines.

Danilo

The project was basically one of those shots that had multiple clones of the same person. The same kind of thing that you have seen a hundred times on TV. The shot was shot without the use of any sort of greenscreen, and worst yet the exposure on each shot was different (they forgot to turn the automatic exposure off). I tried a difference matte and a few others that I know how to do with no luck. The only thing that made the shot really difficult was just the length of time, 3 clones at about a min. each. I was staying to experience major fatigue.

I tried to download the trial version of commotion from Pinnacles website a few weeks ago but for some reason it wonít complete the DL.

dmeyer
05-22-2003, 08:19 PM
Combustions roto tools are among the best too, albeit sometimes a bit slow.

:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.