PDA

View Full Version : Importing UVs problem

gode
05-27-2008, 04:23 PM
Hi,

I would really appreciete if someone could help me with this:

I have finished sculpt in mudbox which is not unwraped. So I exported the lowest level to max and unwraped it. Imported back to mudbox, subdivided several times and tried to import highest level(from the original scene) as layer - as far as I know this is standart approach for this kind of thing. But for some reason, it destroys the model completely , I don't understand it. Any ideas?

Or do you know some other way how can I unwrap lowest level in max (or wherever) and then import it back to mudbox and apply the mapping somehow to the highest level?

Thanks.

Rod Seffen
05-28-2008, 07:13 PM
When you import the UVed model back into mudbox use the import UVs command.
WHat you shoudl do it appy a texture to the low res model (a check pattern is good) in mudbox to check the UVs, and subdivide once and check the Uvs are still ok. Try using recreate UVs command at each level if it's not working.
You should not have to import the high res mesh again,.
If this is not working, another way to do it is to import your low res UVed mesh and bake a displacement map out using the high res mesh as the target. Use a 32bit FP map, then you can use this displacement map to make a new high res layered mesh from your low res mesh by using the mesh displacement command.

gode
05-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Thanks a lot for reply!

I tried the first approach and it didn't work. I imported UVs in Mudbox on the first level and it's ok, but when I turn to higher level, UVs are completely messed up, hitting the recreate level UVs button in mudbox does nothing. Any idea why?

I'm going to try the second approach.

Tanasoo
06-04-2008, 03:08 AM
I had the same problem; the remake UVs thing does nothing for some reason...

Fortunately, there is a simple workaround:
All you have to do is export the highest level of your model as an obj; then start a new file, import the low res one with good UVs, subdivide the model until it has the same levels as the old one, and then import the high res model as a layer. The one drawback is that this will effectively flatten all of your layers if you have more than one. But you could try exporting each as a different obj (turn off all others and export one at a time) and then re-import each onto the subdivided low res model.

CGTalk Moderation
06-04-2008, 03:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.