PDA

View Full Version : Mental Ray Shader Question

maddav99
05-27-2008, 02:02 PM
I know I sound like a complete noob by asking this, but how do I add a mental ray shader to XSI? I know in the other 3D packages when you add a shader you have to alter the rayrc file. When trying to do this in XSI I looked at the ray3rc file, but I think I did something wrong because now it tells me it can't find the dll files for the shader. Oops. Any help is appreciated.

CiaranM
05-27-2008, 02:52 PM
Your shader should come packaged as a .addon or .spdl which takes care of the connection and interface to XSI. There's no need to mess around with rayrc or that other stuff like in Maya. So, it's very simple for the end user (drag 'n' drop), if some extra work for the developer. You should be able to use most shaders compatible with the version of MR in XSI, but you'll have to write the .spdl etc. if one isn't provided. I'm pretty sure it's all in the docs.

maddav99
05-27-2008, 04:53 PM
Cool. Thanks, I'll check it out.

visualboo
05-28-2008, 04:10 PM
If your shader only came as a .spdl and .dll then open up the Plugin Manager and go to the spdl tab. Make sure both files are in the same directory and click install. Locate the spdl file and click ok. It will copy the files to the proper places.

Shaders for XSI will always come as one of these two methods. An .xsiaddon or a .spdl + .dll.

CGTalk Moderation
05-28-2008, 04:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.