PDA

View Full Version : avalanche

a6u5t
05-27-2008, 07:32 AM
So, I'm trying to make avalanche as realistic as possible.

Basically what I have is snow (w/cloud render type) falling down a plane, with a gravity field. The snow collides with the plane. But after seeing some references (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0RWLxOFGLY) what I want is smoke emitting from the collision of the snow particle with the ground plane. Then, I'd want a few rocks as well.

Does anyone know a tutorial for snow/ avalanche? Esp for achieving the "correct" attributes of snow, like dynamic weight, conserve, inherit factor, surface shading, threshold, etc? Just like in creating a glass/water we use the correct physical value (I don't know where to find those numbers for those as well, but it's like we need to input the correct value for refraction index, etc) I was thinking that there's those values for dynamics like snow as well, which is scientifically correct.

Now for the MEL part, which commands exactly do I use for achieving the smoke that's emitted from the snow particles that colliding with the ground?

Thanks in advance. I'm not a programmer at all, so the coding part makes it even harder. I'm graduating from a vfx school this year, so now I'm working extra to build my portolio.

daisukem
05-27-2008, 10:54 AM
You might know already but in visor(fluid examples) I think there is one like avalanche.

a6u5t
05-27-2008, 12:03 PM
^^

I didn't know that actually, but I don't think you can adjust the avalanche unless it's particles, can you? i.e. I might want to add some rocks that are interacting with the snow/ ground.

raylistic
05-28-2008, 03:23 AM
Hi, I played with the fluid avalanche in the visor a while back ago. I think there is a collide with object option in fluid. The fluid is good for simulating the cloudy effect of the avalanche. If you need rocks "flying out", I think it is better for you to use particles.

for "(Now for the MEL part, which commands exactly do I use for achieving the smoke that's emitted from the snow particles that colliding with the ground? )"

You can use the collision event under the particles section. Emit particles upon collision.

Hope this help.

Ray.

a6u5t
06-02-2008, 09:30 AM
^^

Yes, I kinda remember about the collision event.

Nobody ever read/known of how they make the snow avalanche in xXx?

swampjesus
06-02-2008, 10:22 AM
They used digital domain inhouse software called "voxel bitch" (which is named "storm" now). Its closely tied with houdini so its easy to export particle etc simulations(my guesstimation).

Make a search on www.odforce.net , i think they might have some discussion about it.

a6u5t
07-08-2008, 08:36 AM
No wonder they rename it ;-) Interesting forum, never heard of it before. Thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
07-08-2008, 08:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.