PDA

View Full Version : undo problem

AFightingPanda
05-27-2008, 06:14 AM
I am going to try to explain this problem as simply as possible. When I am animating in a scene you are able to go through an animation frame by frame by hitting the ALT and > keys. The problem is that I use this function a lot but everytime you use that funtion it takes up one undo. I would like to know how I could adjust maya so that it wouldnt count that particular function as an action and therefore use up one of my very few undo's. I hope someone can understand what the problem is and can offer a solution, thanks in advance.

nkls
05-27-2008, 08:28 AM
hi,

i suppose you could map the following command to your hotkeys...this turns the undo off, steps, and turns it on again, without flushing it.

// step one frame forward
undoInfo -swf off;
currentTime ( `currentTime -q` + 1 );
undoInfo -swf on;

// step one frame backward
undoInfo -swf off;
currentTime ( `currentTime -q` - 1 );
undoInfo -swf on;

HairyBouy
09-08-2008, 05:34 AM
Yeah, this "undo'ing of frame changes" give's me the shits too.

Good idea for a fix, doesn't quite work though. When you hit undo, it sticks the keyframe that your undo'ing on your new position of the timeline. Then you have to hit undo again to delete that keyframe.

I'd be keen to hear a fix on this. Did you figure anything out AFightingPanda?

HB

AFightingPanda
09-08-2008, 05:38 AM
I got two answers

1. hire a programmer to make something to override it
2. dont use it

my solution, which isnt a solution at all was to go into maya preferences and increase my number of undo's as high as I could then when I am using it I go ahead and count out in my head how many times I have used it. I will be honest I would prefer a real solution but thats all I managed to do.

greatPumpkin
09-08-2008, 02:20 PM
hmm, well having to hit undo twice rather than n times is better, no? you might also be able to get it working by not disabling the undo queue, and then using a wrapper script around undo which has a while loop that continues the undo each time it encounters a currentTime change. undoInfo can give you the command of the current undo step. in this scenario you'd probably still want a fairly large if not infinite undo queue.

CGTalk Moderation
09-08-2008, 02:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.