PDA

View Full Version : Extract Depth Map from stock footage?

PolygonGoon
05-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Hey guys, im realatively new to Combustion, and i am curious is it possible to extract a depth map from stock footage? (ie. TV show clip) It dosent sound impossible and i know After Effects has something in it to do it to some extent. Any information would be greatly apprciated.

Thanks,
-Mark

theotheo
05-26-2008, 06:37 PM
For the automatic version, you've got the foundry's furnace f_depth that can (to some extent) extract depth information from a videoclip. (given you got enough parallax motion/quality etc) But its a hit or miss solution. (Furnace is only for Scratch, Shake, Nuke and fusion atm)

The other way is to draw/approximate the depth map yourself with layers, which is timeconsuming but might turn out more accurate.

either way, good luck :)

-theo

PolygonGoon
05-26-2008, 07:42 PM
Thanks so much for the information!

which of the 4 programs would you recommend?

theotheo
05-27-2008, 06:49 PM
I personally lean towards fusion, but I would recomend any of the packages (except Scratch, since its not compositing driven)
As long as the shots gets done the way you want them to.

-theo

PolygonGoon
05-27-2008, 11:45 PM
thanks for the reply. I got nuke and Furnace for it, and i am working with the F_Depth plug in as we speak. do you know any good sources for information of Furnace and more importnantly the F_Depth plug in. It does do some good depth map passes, but seems to lack consisancy, as each frame differs sometimes, very different, where it would be un useable. Thanks

-Mark

CGTalk Moderation
05-27-2008, 11:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.