PDA

View Full Version : random textures on instanced particles

bjuren
05-26-2008, 01:55 PM
Hey.

Ive got a particle system with a large number of instanced planes with different textures applied. I need a lot of different image sequences as textures which are also offset in time to give randomness.

Is there any way that you can use a layer material to give the particles random textures to avoid having a huge number of geometry planes? And also get the image sequence to start at the particles birth as you can with sprites? All this can be done in 3D studio MAX but I havent been able to figure it out in maya yet.

thanks!

Kristian

optimus008
05-27-2008, 01:04 AM
Well if your just wanting planes to have random texture sequence I would use sprites instead of instancing geometry.

But to do what you want you'll need to make many different planes and assign different texture sequences to thoses plane geometry. Then instance them to your particles and use a random creation expression so that when your particle are created they run throught the differnet planes.

bjuren
05-27-2008, 08:24 AM
Hey.

thanks for your reply. The problem with sprites is that they always face the camera. I need to be able to control the way they are facing and therefor sprites are ruled out. And why I wanted to be able to use a layered texture to randomly place textures on the particles is because I want to avoid having a huge amount of cards in my scene and also so that I can make the image sequences start at birth of each particle.. just like you can do in 3dsMax.
Just havent been able to figure out how to do it in Maya...

Kristian

optimus008
05-31-2008, 05:21 AM
bjuren(Kristian)

If you figure out a way to do it I'd like to know how you were able to acheive your effect.
I'll play around with the layed shader and instance idea my self and see if I can come up with anything.

Jack

CGTalk Moderation
05-31-2008, 05:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.