PDA

View Full Version : rotation dependent brushes with no 6D pen

kiwi123
05-26-2008, 11:59 AM
Hi,

Is it possible at all to use the realbristle fan brush and the pallete knife for instance if you do not have a 6D pen ? The flat side of the brush is always oriented the same way.
Setting the angle to direction causes really freaky random rotation ?!

Surely you should be able to just use such brushes without having to fork out for another pen ?

Thanks for any help,

kiwi123
05-28-2008, 07:52 AM
Nobody inclined to help ?

Hi,

Is it possible at all to use the realbristle fan brush and the pallete knife for instance if you do not have a 6D pen ? The flat side of the brush is always oriented the same way.
Setting the angle to direction causes really freaky random rotation ?!

Surely you should be able to just use such brushes without having to fork out for another pen ?

Thanks for any help,

Jinbrown
05-29-2008, 12:22 AM
Hi,

It's my understanding that, to make use of the Painter IX through Painter X.1 Rotation Expression feature, we need to have both of the following:

Wacom Intuos 3 tablet, and
Wacom 6D Art Pen

#

kiwi123
05-30-2008, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the response Jinny !

Hi,

It's my understanding that, to make use of the Painter IX through Painter X.1 Rotation Expression feature, we need to have both of the following:

Wacom Intuos 3 tablet, and
Wacom 6D Art Pen

#

Ion66
06-08-2008, 04:52 AM
I bought a 6D pen, assuming that all the palette knives would rotate. The dry palette knife works great, but the others still dont rotate. A recent issue of Corel Painter magazine covered palette knives and suggested rotating the canvas to alter directions. Personally, I think this is nuts as I am constantly moving palette knives around when working traditionally. The dry palette knife is one of my fave tools, regardless of the medium Im using in PainterX...but it works just fine with the grip pen too. The 6D is great for calligraphy and a few other brushes, but isnt the must have I hoped it would be.

kiwi123
06-08-2008, 08:00 AM
Thank you David ! You just saved me some money there.

I agree it sounds like madness having to rotate your canvas. That's not very quick at all. I find the palette knife in Artrage to be very very intuitive and useful as opposed to Painter's unfortunately.

Fes
06-11-2008, 05:55 PM
It's quite strange this one. I've got both a Cintiq and an Intuos 3 and the 6D pen works with perfect rotation on all the platte knive bushes on the Cintiq, but on the Intuos 3 it' hit and miss - a few times it rotates properly and then it just wont... then it does again - very irratating! I personally tend to think it's the Wacom drivers and not just Painter. I think the wacom drivers are in need of a serious overhaul!:sad:

TabletTester
11-17-2008, 07:55 AM
Hi Fes,
I would be really interested in knowing how you made the palette knifes rotation work on the cintiq. I have tried them all and only one is reacting on the Inuos and the Cintiq both. The others wont work at all. Did you use a trick???

TabletTester :)

Fes
11-17-2008, 05:13 PM
No trick especially TabletTester.

I just made sure that the Angle Expression is set to Rotation on all the palette knife brushes (Window/Brush Control/Show Angle) - note that this only works using the 6D pen.

You can get the normal grip pen to turn the palette knives if you set this to 'Bearing' but then you must hold the pen at an acute angle ie not upright but on a slant (think this probably only works on an Intuos3/Cintiq as it senses the pen angle - don't think the other Intuos models do this). Tho it is more hard to get the stroke without a bit of wobble.

Fes
11-17-2008, 05:21 PM
It's quite strange this one. I've got both a Cintiq and an Intuos 3 and the 6D pen works with perfect rotation on all the platte knive bushes on the Cintiq, but on the Intuos 3 it' hit and miss - a few times it rotates properly and then it just wont... then it does again - very irratating! I personally tend to think it's the Wacom drivers and not just Painter. I think the wacom drivers are in need of a serious overhaul!:sad:

And a slight amendment to what I'd said above as I've found that the rotation actually works on both the Cintiq and Intuos3 using the 6D pen.

The trouble I was having with the Intuo3 was that I was using the Cintiq as the monitor to display the document while testing with the 6D pen on the Intuos3, as the Cintiq seems to cancel out the rotation info sent by the Intuos. So I simply moved the Document window to another screen (I have two other monitors plus the Cintiq) and the rotation worked perfectly. So.... if you use your Cintiq and Intuo plugged in side by side... and for some reason decide to use your 6D pen with rotation on the Intuos, don't use the Cintiq as the monitor to display your Painter document. ;)

gavobe
11-26-2008, 03:23 PM
I use inkscape for caligraphy and imported in painter and mu brushes like my selfmade bambo pen it work great in chinese art. I love painter and inskscape also photoshop.
It is a good team.
all regards
the traditional artist
gavobe

CGTalk Moderation
11-26-2008, 03:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.