PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using intel q9450?

adrencg
05-26-2008, 05:57 AM
and if so...are you only getting 50% total cpu usage for a ll multithreaded apps like Soft and AE?

Ordibble-Plop
05-26-2008, 06:23 AM
I do, but what would be the best processes/methods to check CPU usage in XSI? I bought the Q9450 mainly because of ZBrush and haven't really stretched it in XSI (I got it relatively recently).

I just noted the following (in XSI 6.5):

-Playing back a particle simulation (4 Ptypes, 4 attractors, 4 obstacles) used only 25% throughout 400 frames (it seemed that only one core was ever being used).

-The render region regularly uses up to 100%, with all four cores used.

Sbowling
05-27-2008, 01:40 AM
I'm pretty sure simulations are not multi-threaded.

ajcgi
05-29-2008, 05:09 PM
Exactly. What you're experiencing in AE is a similar deal too. I have a q6600 at home. It barely ever raises past 50% in AE because it's not entirely multithreaded though can be forced to in the preferences if you have enough RAM to support it.
One of the touted features about the next XSI is more multithreading support. Here's hoping that's true and not another rumour along the lines of "oMG MooONdusST will be so L33t! ZOMG!"

adrencg
05-29-2008, 09:26 PM
Exactly. What you're experiencing in AE is a similar deal too. I have a q6600 at home. It barely ever raises past 50% in AE because it's not entirely multithreaded though can be forced to in the preferences if you have enough RAM to support it.
One of the touted features about the next XSI is more multithreading support. Here's hoping that's true and not another rumour along the lines of "oMG MooONdusST will be so L33t! ZOMG!"

Ok, I just figured it out. based on what you say, more ram is required to get all of the cores going -- which is why AE can use all 4 cores on my 64 bit system, which has 6GB of ram.

The problem is on the 32bit system which won't see more than 2GB. Only 50% is used. Time to ditch 32 bit all together and buy about 16 gb of Ram.

ajcgi
05-30-2008, 09:36 AM
Consider setting the 3Gb switch in the boot.ini before you go crazy with the RAM purchases. It allows 3Gb per app max rather than 2. I'd see how you get along with that before you splash out on RAM and do the switch to 64-bit. Bear in mind not all plugins and apps are 64-bit compatible.
Google setting the 3Gb switch :thumbsup:

Sbowling
05-30-2008, 04:18 PM
Consider setting the 3Gb switch in the boot.ini before you go crazy with the RAM purchases. It allows 3Gb per app max rather than 2. I'd see how you get along with that before you splash out on RAM and do the switch to 64-bit. Bear in mind not all plugins and apps are 64-bit compatible.
Google setting the 3Gb switch :thumbsup:

From my understanding, this only works if the app is coded to take advantage of the /3gb switch. This switch is also reported to make the system less stable.

ThE_JacO
05-30-2008, 05:33 PM
From my understanding, this only works if the app is coded to take advantage of the /3gb switch. This switch is also reported to make the system less stable.

It doesn't necessarily make the system less stable in general, but it potentially can in some situations.
32bit architectures can see upward of 4GB. Normally windows divides those 4GB in 2 of kernel space and 2 of user space (the latter being what an individual user run process in windows can use).

The 3GB switch doesn't miraculously make windows see more ram like some people seem to believe, it simply tells it that it should start using only 1GB instead of two for kernel space. This in turn, in case of intense and particular system activity can start messing with the paging; maximum size of pages changes and HDD to memory swapping of pages needs to happen more frequently (swapping happens all the time with windows being very conservative about what it keeps in memory, not only when you completely run out of it), that can lead to way higher process lag, and eventually some issues if too many or too important system processes start being affected.

adrencg
06-01-2008, 05:54 PM
Doesn't really matter if I get that extra 1 GB of ram. It's just not enough. I see huge differences between my 32 and 64 bit systems, and its because of the RAM. I'm tired of giant page files and never having enough Ram for After Effects. I've upgraded to 8 GB and I'm installing Vista 64 next week. I'll keep my 32 bit XP on another partition.

tfortier
06-04-2008, 12:19 AM
Hey Adremcg, for avoid AE choking on large file, put your Maximum RAM Cache size to something like 35%-45%, even less for very large files... render is a bit more slow but will not stop cause of large files.

I have a dual-core 3ghz, way better for me than a q6600 cause I hate AE saving the project before doing a preview... its long, just long! Ghz still the key for efficient work in AE as multi-threading will be only used when rendering or previewing my duplicating the AE process.

I would recommend you to look at the Background rendering script you can find on http://www.aenhancers.com/
it permit you to start your renders on your other cores and let you work in the same time! best way I found to save time.

Still let me know if using xp64 do the difference... memory is so cheap here in japan it would be a crime to not use it! im using only 3gb right now with the 3g switch. Oh and of course it will do marvel for playing back long big RAM Preview...

best of luck!

ajcgi
06-04-2008, 10:08 AM
I would recommend you to look at the Background rendering script you can find on http://www.aenhancers.com/
it permit you to start your renders on your other cores and let you work in the same time! best way I found to save time.

Ah wow! That is really effective! I'm dead pleased you mentioned that. Here's a direct link to the download page. It took me a while to find it http://aescripts.com/tag/bg-renderer/
That is going to be so useful. :thumbsup:

adrencg
06-04-2008, 06:10 PM
Hey Adremcg, for avoid AE choking on large file, put your Maximum RAM Cache size to something like 35%-45%, even less for very large files... render is a bit more slow but will not stop cause of large files.

I have a dual-core 3ghz, way better for me than a q6600 cause I hate AE saving the project before doing a preview... its long, just long! Ghz still the key for efficient work in AE as multi-threading will be only used when rendering or previewing my duplicating the AE process.

Still let me know if using xp64 do the difference... memory is so cheap here in japan it would be a crime to not use it! im using only 3gb right now with the 3g switch. Oh and of course it will do marvel for playing back long big RAM Preview...

best of luck!

I never understood the whole background rendering thing. When I render I want maxiumum CPU going to the rendering. I don't really see how you're getting ahead in workflow by handicapping render times. Besides, I have 3 machines(2 with After Effects). I can always render on one machine while working on another.

I have noticed a difference in core usage depending on Ram amount. More RAM = more core usage.

ajcgi
06-05-2008, 09:59 AM
I never understood the whole background rendering thing. When I render I want maxiumum CPU going to the rendering. I don't really see how you're getting ahead in workflow by handicapping render times. Besides, I have 3 machines(2 with After Effects). I can always render on one machine while working on another.

Here's an example. I work somewhere where I only have access to one machine with the software I need. All rendering needs doing on this machine. The project I'm currently finishing off has many many 30 second shots in full HD. As I'm the only one working on these things with only one machine, every time I hit render I'm into dead time where I'm not actually working on the next comp. Quite hefty dead time as this is a 2.4 Dual core, not a quad or octo. By background rendering I'll be able to move onto the next one and by the time I've finished that, the render I set off is done or at least close to being done. Bear in mind I can always go into task manager and set the priority back up so I do get max usage after comping the next project.

CGTalk Moderation
06-05-2008, 09:59 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.