PDA

View Full Version : Maya dynamics vs Houdini dynamics

esse
05-19-2003, 04:53 PM
Hey all,

I have 5+ years of Maya exerience but I am quite new to Houdini. I am interested to see a side to side comparison (pro's and con's) of Maya's dynamics vs Houdini's dynamics.

Anyone care to share some thoughts?

Cheers.

Javier3D
05-21-2003, 01:05 PM
Sure!! Looking forward to see some answers on this field!!

Should i move into Houdini???

BrandonD
05-29-2003, 05:55 AM
Nope, Houdini's dynamics leave much to be desired from what I've experienced. Maya's are faster and easier to use, designed from the ground-up to be that way. Houdini's use a convoluted workflow with particles that is really unintuitive. Right now if you're doing dynamics work I'd reccommend either Maya or MAX. In fact, MAX's reactor dynamics do some really unique things :)

Houdini in general though rocks. I prefer it over Maya, but primarily from a procedural standpoint - much the way I prefer to work (hence my interest in MAX too).

Jozvex
05-29-2003, 06:59 AM
Although, Houdini is used quite a lot for the particle effects in top movies. Some examples are the river of horses in Lord of the Rings, and most of the atmospheric and particle effects in X-Men 2 like the Nightcrawler BAMPF effect.

BrandonD
05-29-2003, 08:17 AM
Agreed, the Houdini's particle capabilities are hard to beat, but keep in mind it's not just the particle tools themselves, it's how Houdini treats particles (points) in general, a huge benefit of a fully procedural system.

Apoclypse
05-29-2003, 06:02 PM
I disagree that maya's particles are better than houdini's. Houdini is slower but that is because of it's node based nature which maya says it does but it doesn't do it like houdini. You can however do some of the things that you can in houdini in max ( but you have to buy thinking particles which is pretty much houdini's particle system with a tighter kernel)

Houdini is the way to go if you are serious about particle and dynamics animation, not that you can't do some really incredible fx in Maya( after all the dynamics package is really old and really production proven- dynamation). However you can't do effects in the same scale or with the level of automation that you can with houdini. Which is why some of the most complex particle animations done in movies( or games) have been done with the app.

Howevetr it is not as easy to use at first as maya is becuase of it's procedural interface. So you decide if you want ease of use or power.

The Cross
05-29-2003, 06:38 PM
Just as it was mentioned, Houdini is difficult to start off with. When i was in college, we were learning boath Houdini and Maya. Maya was perferred over Houdini by virtually everyone in the class due to it's more being user friendly.Houdini comes with a whoop ass render engine, and i personally found it to be a little quicker..Or much quicker than Maya's IPR style render.

Houdini also has compositing capabilities, so you can do more with it once your batch render is complete. Bone stalk houdini is the special effects king of all softwares.

Half way through the semister we stoped using it and started with combustion as a substitute. Personally i'm not too interested in Houdini cause of it's interface. But if you're the type of animator that's educated or know's a few fancy trix with computers and codes and such, Then Houdini and you will be good friends.

Javier3D
05-29-2003, 09:06 PM
I think iŽll move into Houdini....I find it really powerful...It is fully procedural, i think VEX is easy to learn and it can be conected to renderman, wich is important.....
The main problem is that here in Spain the industry s not ready for that soft. Maybe one or to houses...so i may move...let me know if you have openings then.-...hehehehe
:beer:

esse
06-02-2003, 11:52 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for the info, looks like I will dive deeper into Houdini.

S/

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.