PDA

View Full Version : ocean upscaling

=LuxX=
05-25-2008, 04:09 PM
dear fellow 3d-ers,

At first i want to say that i looked up in the search option but i could not find any related isseu.

I am kind of new to ocean dynamics so sorry if it is a realy simple solution. BUt ill explain what i want to do.
I have a scene what is made on a realistic scale. In this scene i have a boat what is over the 100 meters. Of course i want to use the ocean plugin to create realistic water. so i do the following steps.
> create ocean.
- then my ocean is in the scene but waaaaay to smal cause i cant even see it. ( maya makes it in cm) so i select the ocean and start to scale it up. ( probably i do this wrong)
when i reached the dissired scale i render it to see ho wit looks.
well the reflection and such is nice. BUT there are no waves its totaly flat. this is maby cause of my wierd upscaling.
now i was thinking what do i need to upscale more to see waves or what dont need to be upscaled. i hope some one can help me a bit further in the right direction.

***EDIT** i found some posts about scaling and there was everytime an awnser about upscaling the texture also. could this be the problem? ( but cant find out where to upscale that texture)
regards Tjeerd

Duncan
05-26-2008, 01:53 PM
On the oceanShader there is a attribute "scale". If you scaled up by a factor of 100 then make this 0.01.

Duncan

=LuxX=
05-27-2008, 11:55 AM
aah thank you i gona test it right a way... only i scale it up.... 100000 times i belive it was.. so that will become 0.000001 :D if im correct wel i 'll try

*edit
OWH!.... max scaling is 0.001 :( now what? i got all animation already in the scene. ( else i had grouped everything and scaled everything down.) but then some animation gets f*cked up..
and i do need it this big is there any other solution?

Duncan
05-27-2008, 01:32 PM
You might consider scaling down your other objects instead of scaling up the ocean. That size will likely result in numerical precision issues.

Duncan

=LuxX=
05-27-2008, 03:25 PM
i was thinking of this my self.
But the problem is that i have a scene with some constrains that will not work propperly when they are scaled. hmm.. but now im thinking of it. maby its beter to do those constrains over again and indeed scale every thing down. cause its driving me crazy.
or is there a way to scale everything with causeing no harm to the constrains?

if i could i would send you the file buts the file is almost 60-70 mb :P ;)

if you have a solution to scale down with leaving the constrains in tact plz let me know.

thanks allot for the help so far!

Duncan
05-27-2008, 03:31 PM
If you simply group everything then scale the group does it not work correctly?

Duncan

=LuxX=
06-02-2008, 06:42 AM
this wont work.... because of my constrains. they will do wier d things. but i made them again . only one wont work. but ill manage to get it to work.

CGTalk Moderation
06-02-2008, 06:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.