PDA

View Full Version : Materials question

UMG
05-25-2008, 04:18 AM
Okay, first off, can someone here recommend some material properties for glass, metal, plastic, etc?

The other thing im wondering about is this... I only have one material in my shader tree, how would I create another? Is it possible to change the tag of the base material?

EDIT : Are the GI settings in the shader tree only visible under certain conditions? They were there for a seocnd and now when i click on my base material, they are gone. :curious:

brenly
05-26-2008, 11:01 AM
I dont have Modo infront of me so I dont quite remember but to see the GI setting you have to select the render node not the base material .. or could it be the environment node.

To create another material in the shader treen just press M and create a new name .. I think you might have to select some polys to do it.

go to Vertexmonkey.com .. plenty of preset materials there. glass etc

::keith::
05-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Select a few polys, press 'm' to set material, give it a name. The new material will appear in the shader tree.

The tabs in the render properties (such as global illumination) change depending on what is selected. To get the GI tab back, just click on the Render text at the top of the shader tree.

Try loading some of the sample content and look at the material settings for things like glass and metal. Tweak these settings to see what each parameter does.

Check out lux.tv (http://www.luxology.com/training/) for training vids.

Good luck.

edit: too slow!

brianod
05-27-2008, 02:53 AM
At Vertexmonkey.com there is a library of 90 some materials contained in one file that unzip and install automatically into Modo. There are all types of glass, metals, plastics, etc. They're great and free. It's called the Null Preset library. It even works on the 30 day Modo trial which is where I used it.

CGTalk Moderation
05-27-2008, 02:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.