PDA

View Full Version : Big Buck Bunny is online

DingTo
05-24-2008, 06:55 PM
The new Open Movie is online now! Not official but legal. A guy has uploaded it. (It was not me!!) Enjoy the film. It is great!

Edit: The video is down now. Please wait for the official release.

Official Internet Release is on 31 May. Then you can enjoy the High Definition version of the film.

Visit official website for more information: http://www.bigbuckbunny.org/

http://web2.lds80-86-92-27.mein-webperoni.de/Daten/dingto/vlcsnap-96094-small.jpg

blaize
05-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Got my dvd yesterday, the official online release will happen around the 30th.
then people will be able to download high quality versions of the movie.

I really enjoyed the movie, i hope you guys will like it as much as i did! :D

nerrazzi
05-24-2008, 07:31 PM
Very impressed with the story, direction, animation & rendering. Great job Blender team!

FlorinMocanu
05-24-2008, 07:40 PM
Brilliant. To bad that at 720p HD Vimeo ruins the quality a bit.

Great effort, great movie, i want to congratulate the whole Blender team.

DingTo
05-24-2008, 08:13 PM
If you have an account on the vimeo site, you can download the basic video file (317 MB).

Apoclypse
05-24-2008, 08:18 PM
Wow, it was actually quite funny and charming. The visuals were great as well. Can't wait to see what the team does next.

ragdoll
05-24-2008, 08:19 PM
wow great job! that bird looks like a slightly larger version of the pixar bird. :D
so everything was from blender? very nice. :thumbsup:

FlorinMocanu
05-24-2008, 08:25 PM
If you have an account on the vimeo site, you can download the basic video file (317 MB).
Thanks a lot dude. Downloading right now :).

neablo
05-24-2008, 08:39 PM
It's great! Definetely front page stuff...

sebbonaparte
05-24-2008, 09:27 PM
That was great, I've been watching this project since its conception, and it turned out great... exactly as I expected.

Great job BBB team!

ThomasMahler
05-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Yeah, this should be frontpage. Great stuff, good to see blender being put to good use :)

ZanQdo
05-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Thanks but Ill wait for my DVD, nothing like HD :)

Mo3allem
05-24-2008, 09:51 PM
Are they going to offer the whole DVD " with all the scenes and the Interviews and ... etc " to download on their site ?

blaize
05-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Yeah, the movie and all the scene files will be available at the end of the month.

LetterRip
05-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Mods,

please wait till the official release before a plug :) Full HD versions, the torrent of the DVD, etc. will all be ready on the 30th,

LetterRip

ccherrett
05-24-2008, 09:57 PM
Please pull this thread till the 30th and give the Blender Foundation a chance to shine!

cresshead
05-24-2008, 10:28 PM
what a great way to kill future development of blender...:curious:
[uploaded by who i wonder?...maybe a commercial 3d app developer...???]

blender foundation are due to release this anyway on may 30th....that gave the 'investors' in the production [the people who paid for th production] a lead of about a week...my dvd turned up today.

to see it turn up on the web on the same day would stop many people pre paying for the next dvd...this could do quite a bit of harm to future development of blender possibly.
and makes me quite annoyed...

yet these are the times where no one values anyone's work i supose..

oh yeah... woud be nice to see this pulled off the net until the official release date.

ZombieJohn
05-24-2008, 10:42 PM
It was actually uploaded by someone who was blogging about it, not a 'rival company.' I don't know who out there is likely to let this affect their purchase, but I'm still planning on buying the pre-release for the next project.

Sago
05-24-2008, 10:47 PM
It's just some short movie about a bunny. What's all the fuzz about?

kernond
05-24-2008, 10:55 PM
This is precisely why I didn't pre-purchase the BBB DVD. I knew this would happen.

I pre-ordered the Elephant's Dream DVD and people respected the terms for that project (as far as I'm aware).

When I pre-ordered the ManCandy FAQ DVD however, someone uploaded the contents the same day that I received my DVD. It kind of ticked me off, frankly. What ticked me off even more was when the creator of the content and the Blender Foundation said it was okay! That convinced me to not purchase the BBB DVD just to see what would happen.

I think the Blender Foundation might want to rethink how they respond to this sort of thing because it does have its negative effects. To state their desires for how they plan to roll these things out and, when those desires are not respected, they have nothing to say other that it's "okay" doesn't send a good signal to those that might do this sort of thing in the future.

People will continue to do this sort of thing because there is no "official" gripe about it so, the person feels like they're doing their part to "help" the communilty. It's okay to upload this stuff BUT, the clear issue is the timing.

It's the same childish mentality of those that constantly post things like "FIRST POST!!! YAAAYY!!!".

Anyway, I've found my solution...wait for the files to be uploaded and invest my money elsewhere.

I think the BF could solve this by simply officially releasing the DVD and the downloadable files at the same time because their stated intent that the supporters of these projects get a sort of "premiere" of their own clearly isn't taken seriously and, they don't seem to take it too seriously themselves so, why bother even making the declaration?

DogBreath
05-24-2008, 11:00 PM
Agree Front page on 30th. Great work Blender people.

cresshead
05-24-2008, 11:00 PM
well it's def made me pause for thought on the apricot game....why pre pay?

ZombieJohn
05-24-2008, 11:06 PM
...to support blender? Although you've made it fairly clear at this stage that thats not where your interests lie--in which case why gripe about it?

kernond
05-24-2008, 11:07 PM
Having gotten that off of my chest...I must say that I watched the video and they did an excellent job!!!

Congratulations to all involved! You can tell that they've learned a great deal since the Elephants Dream project. This project seemed to go so much smoother and with much better results.

ccherrett
05-24-2008, 11:11 PM
Kernond,

The purchase of the DVD was in support of the project not so you could have somethign someone else did not. I would have thought you would have known that.

ragdoll
05-24-2008, 11:15 PM
imo i think this is great publicity for blender and for the people involved in it...a better way to have shown this would be to post it in their site...:shrug:dvd sales are great for behind the scenes stuff for anyone interested and a higher quality video. i don't see how this can hurt them...more and more people are talking about it already.

kernond
05-24-2008, 11:17 PM
@ZombieJohn
I do support Blender, in many ways. I'm just disappointed in how they handle (or don't handle) this issue. They could simply release a statement reminding people of their originally stated intent. That would at least encourage people to see this for what it is, instead of treating the "uploader" like a hero of sorts. That's all I would need to feel that my support is truly considered. I'm sure someone would still upload it early but at least I wouldn't feel like I misplaced my hard-earned money.

I might still purchase the DVD, but I'll wait and check out the downloads first.

neablo
05-24-2008, 11:17 PM
Kernon, I also haven't expected such a childish post from you.
This is gollum behavior: "My preciousssss"
You support the BF with the purchase, nothing more and nothing less.

kernond
05-24-2008, 11:19 PM
@ccherrett
What is it that I don't know about this? I'm simply going by the stated words of the Blender Foundation about how they prefer this to be handled. I would think that YOU would know that by now. It's not a secret. Anyone can go and re-read their printed words.

That's all.

SergioSantos
05-24-2008, 11:19 PM
Amazing!!!
high quality, one of the best things I've seen in a long time, everything is flawless!!!

congratulations to everyone involved.

PD: go watch it again.

kernond
05-24-2008, 11:20 PM
...good grief...

I'm not even going to continue with this.

cresshead
05-24-2008, 11:20 PM
i'm just a bit concerned that maybe the pre sales of the next project and so the funding of blender's development will suffer somewhat from people not buying the dvd if there's no exclusive lead time for those who put their money into it.. ....smaller funds means slower/less development maybe?

okay yeah i'm being 'picky' as this is an open project but you should be able to see that
blender may need to find other ways to fund development as well.

ccherrett
05-24-2008, 11:21 PM
I would think the hard earned money goes to support the furthering of Blender at a cheap price. After all we have been given a very powerfull tool for many years for free. I think that is the important part to remember.

PixelTricks
05-24-2008, 11:21 PM
I think too many people are starting to think of blender as a commercial product instead of the free project that it is.
You buy the dvd to support the development, not just so you can own the content and nobody else can see it without paying. If that were to become the way of things then the project would lose a lot of its support.

Start requiring people to pay for the movies, then the books, then the support, then the program and Blender will become just another 3d application that people feel they should dictate how the program works, because they paid for it.

ccherrett
05-24-2008, 11:24 PM
kernond,

I find the reactions very strange considering all Blender has given us.

kernond
05-24-2008, 11:26 PM
All anyone has to do is go and READ the words directly from the Blender Foundation about THEIR DESIRES. These aren't desires of mine for no other reason than to SUPPORT the desires stated clearly, and repeatedly, by the Blender Foundation. Go and read it.

Now, if your position is to truly support the BF, how come it doesn't match THEIR stated desires.

My position is not a personal position, it is precisely the one that the BF pronounced. Go and read it and tell me where my position differs.

kernond
05-24-2008, 11:29 PM
This is going nowhere so why not just drop it and re-focus on the topic...

a kick-ass animated short.

Again, congratulations to all involved!

cresshead
05-24-2008, 11:30 PM
All anyone has to do is go and READ the words directly from the Blender Foundation about THEIR DESIRES. These aren't desires of mine for no other reason than to SUPPORT the desires stated clearly, and repeatedly, by the Blender Foundation. Go and read it.

Now, if your position is to truly support the BF, how come it doesn't match THEIR stated desires.

My position is not a personal position, it is precisely the one that the BF pronounced. Go and read it and tell me where my position differs.

quoted for agreement

stee+cats

ccherrett
05-24-2008, 11:31 PM
kernond,

Your original post was in favour of people not buying the DVD because it would just be uploaded so why bother.

I think you have missed Ton's point at allowing you blender for free. Ton is the one who refuses to lock down this content so that everyone can enjoy it.

Your purchase of the DVD is to support the development of blender nothing more.

By encouraging publically not to purchase the DVD you have made your mark and set a nasty tone to what Ton was trying to accomplish. Right or Wrong what you have done is to discourage Ton's efforts.

I hope you see this.

ZombieJohn
05-24-2008, 11:33 PM
kernond, your and cresshead's position differs from the blender foundation's in that you are both threatening to not pay any money to the Blender foundation next year because of this. I have no problem with you thinking that it should be held to its intended release date and infact I agree with you to a certain extent on that point, but your actual worry as to why seems to be about how this affects you personally. This I do not agree with, nor do I agree with you covering up your point of view by misusing someone else's words.

Cresshead, your main worry also seems to be that people will not pay next year because of this. Fortunately not everyone is as shallow and as selfish as that.

kernond
05-24-2008, 11:33 PM
I hope you take the time to actually go and READ Ton's position. You seem to be projecting your own perspective and preferences.

EDIT: Either that or Ton has changed his mind about the issue which is why I stated that there should be an official position restated on the issue. If he's changed his mind, fine. I haven't a single problem with that. I just like people to mean what they say, so I can know which way is up.

I'm done with this off-topic discussion.

Go BLENDER!!!

ccherrett
05-24-2008, 11:35 PM
kernond,

I have seen you do this before so I am done talking to you here. I hope no one takes your seriously. Shame coming from someone who is heavy into the blender scene :(

kernond
05-24-2008, 11:38 PM
@ccherrett
Have you considered that you might be misunderstanding me? Peace.

BTW, we do seem to be on the same page:

ccherrett
Please pull this thread till the 30th and give the Blender Foundation a chance to shine!

cresshead
05-24-2008, 11:38 PM
kernond, your and cresshead's position differs from the blender foundation's in that you are both threatening to not pay any money to the Blender foundation next year because of this. I have no problem with you thinking that it should be held to its intended release date, but your actual worry why seems to be about how this affects you personally.

Cresshead, your main worry also seems to be that people will not pay next year because of this. Fortunately not everyone is as shallow and as selfish as that.

maybe i missed someting but where exactly was the 'threat' i wrote your refering to?

it was an observation about possible future trends based upon the early release of the video onto the internet...nothing more than that really...

what the heck...i'm outta here...room full of nuts if you ask me!

ccherrett
05-24-2008, 11:40 PM
@ccherrett
Have you considered that you might be misunderstanding me? Peace.

I would consider that. Peace

ZombieJohn
05-24-2008, 11:46 PM
well it's def made me pause for thought on the apricot game....why pre pay?

I may have misunderstood you as referring to yourself there. If I did then I'm sorry.

EDIT: And yes, the thread has gotten sort of crazy. It's too bad that so many threads related to Blender end up like this.

cresshead
05-25-2008, 12:02 AM
I may have misunderstood you as referring to yourself there. If I did then I'm sorry.

EDIT: And yes, the thread has gotten sort of crazy. It's too bad that so many threads related to Blender end up like this.

no probs...

we should focus on the positive aspects of where blender is NOW with the release of BBB
it should shake up a few people about 'production worthy' etc.

kernond
05-25-2008, 12:19 AM
Yeah, I think there are fewer and fewer reasons that people can give for not taking a very serious look at Blender. I would say that the last few reasons would be lack of customized keystrokes, ngons, volumetrics, macros, better integration with industry-standard rendering engines, and motion tracking. Most, if not all, of those things and more are very likely to be in the pending 2.5 version. :)

BBB has definitely raised the bar and set the stage!

The only problem is keeping up with the lightning-fast development! That's a good problem to have. :)

Rezonance
05-25-2008, 12:27 AM
So would it be against Blender Foundations wishes if I viewed the video? I have been looking forwards to it, but I want to show this project as much respect as possible (I hope to purchase the DVD once I have the cash).

ccherrett
05-25-2008, 12:47 AM
Rezonance,

It is a topic to be debated :)

I imagine Ton would say go for it.

I imagine Blenderheads would say wait :)

flurp
05-25-2008, 12:53 AM
All I can say, is WOW!!!

This is truly an AMAZING peice of work!!! I thought the film to be 2 things!!!

Beautifully made and rendered
Very humorous, i LOL'ed from the start to the end!

I cant wait to download the HD version and all the files on the 30th

Quick question.. is the HD video 720p or 1080p?

I would fall over with excitement if it was 1080p!

To the Peach Team!!! I tip my hat to you!! Absolutley Brilliant Work! My words cant dig deep enough to show how briliant i thought this was!

:buttrock:

ambient-whisper
05-25-2008, 02:18 AM
alright, its been plugged, however when the official release happens, could you guys edit the first post with the official link to the movie? it would be nice to do that ( and also a link to the official website if possible )

KLasKAERU
05-25-2008, 02:25 AM
I think there is a kind of misunderstanding of what the blender foundation sell to you , it's clearly not the right to see the short movie before the others (anyway the premiere as happened some time ago ), and they even don't sell you something (so , you don't buy it), they propose you to support the blender development and you'll get a DVD by doing so. what's the price of a DVD and it's box currently ?
what's the price of the content ? this one is invaluable but free

If you can buy it and if you like blender and want to see it evolve , just do yourself a favor , do it .

This is how i see it , and i personaly think that it's great.

Now i'm going to watch it ...

Peace :-).

mackdadd
05-25-2008, 02:30 AM
Wow, this short really was amazing! Not only was I super excited to watch it, I skipped over to youtube for some demo vids of the coolest FX work I could find!

Check these out:

AMAZING fluid sims, maybe as good as Realflow!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Th7J2fw ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Th7J2fwvfw&feature=related)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AiLyQWX ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AiLyQWXjIg&feature=related)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yEdiIw2 ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yEdiIw2VWY&feature=related)

Physics sim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAeRHgVI ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAeRHgVI3X4&feature=related)

This is really amazing stuff! There's really no excuse to not download Blender and get busy learning it! Amazing work Blender team!

And I plan on watching it a few more times online, AND buying the DVD to support them and continue watching it! Can't wait to see what kind of extras are on the DVD!

Intervain
05-25-2008, 02:55 AM
LOOKS GREAT! the ending was really amusing :)

Melvil
05-25-2008, 03:36 AM
Wow, that was incredible. Looks gorgeous, great animation, lots of impressive simulation, amusing story. Really really polished.

Great work to everyone involved.

ivanisavich
05-25-2008, 03:37 AM
Wow! What a GREAT short!

The rendering was beautiful...the story was funny...but most of all, the animation was terrific! That's usually the downfall of shorts produced by small companies and groups...the animation is usually lacking....but I thought it was wonderful here! I just loved the little squirrels...especially the fat one....SO fun to watch!

Congrats to everyone who worked on this one....instant 5 stars!

theflash
05-25-2008, 04:55 AM
Wow! That's totally cool. I really didnt like the elephant dream mainly because of animation quality and story. But this short has brought up blender at a top level. Along with the developer team I would say the main credit goes to the story creator and animators who helped blender push the limits and come up with a high quality short film. I must say renders are beautiful.

YCenbo
05-25-2008, 05:40 AM
Thank your for you movie,I like very much.

mim-Armand
05-25-2008, 06:02 AM
Unfortunatly seems it's deleted!
I saw it once but when I tried to just replaying that it says it's deleted just a second ago onVimeo! though I was the last one watching that!
Tnx god for waching it atleasty once!!
it WAS gre8! welldone to this team!
Thumbs up, mim :hmm:

mim-Armand
05-25-2008, 06:14 AM
anyway I found a trailer here! (http://vimeo.com/798022)

BubaBrown
05-25-2008, 08:29 AM
I saw the film yesterday (now it is off-line). It is sooooo GREAT!!! Five stars from me.

Unbelievable what open source 3d application can do!!! Everything is so cool and top notch, there is nothing to crit!!!

I have definitelly decided to add Blender in my pipeline. Concerning 2.46 release notes (http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-246/) it has probably best UV and even integrated compositor (!!!)!!! For freelance animations it has become now probably the best choice!!!

Once more, great job Bledner guys!!!

Gwot
05-25-2008, 08:32 AM
I've seen it twice now online and I'm still going to buy the dvd. =]

Nice work by all involved. Much better than Elephant's dream.

ThomasMahler
05-25-2008, 08:39 AM
I've seen it twice now online and I'm still going to buy the dvd. =]

Me too. Hope we'll see more from them in the future!

DingTo
05-25-2008, 08:57 AM
alright, its been plugged, however when the official release happens, could you guys edit the first post with the official link to the movie? it would be nice to do that ( and also a link to the official website if possible )

Yes i will edit this, no problem.

I am a bit surprised that this discussion was 90 percent about the fact that the film is online before the official release. Come on guys. Enjoy the film and forget about the other thing.
And the people who have pre-ordered the film: Hey your names are in the credits! That is great.

Happy Blending!

thatoneguy
05-25-2008, 09:30 AM
[...]it should shake up a few people about 'production worthy' etc.

I would ask the artists who worked on BBB whether or not they would choose blender for production. That would be a more authentic assessment than viewing the final result.

scrimski
05-25-2008, 10:13 AM
I wait for my DVD.
A production coverage about BBB here on CGT would be nice.

FlorinMocanu
05-25-2008, 10:33 AM
I do not care what you guys think about this earlier unofficial release regarding if it was correct for that user to upload or not the movie. All i know is that viewing the film made me wait more impatiently for my paycheck to buy the DVD :). And frankly, this cannot be a better marketing solution to promote blender.

TonyMullen
05-25-2008, 11:26 AM
The stuff about getting a week in advance to view the movie is really not why anybody should buy the movie. The BF can't stop people from uploading anyway (it's CC licensed content, folks. That's part of the point... But jeez. Even if they wanted to, Paramount pictures can't even stop people! How would the BF?). There are basically 2 reasons to buy products from the BF.

1) To support the project. In this respect, it's a little like a donation, but not. You're getting a product, and (if you pre-order) you're getting the gratitude of the BF in the form of your name included in the thank you list.

2) Because it's a product worth having on disk. Folks, the DVD will sell out. And when it does, we'll constantly be hearing from people who want the content, and can't download it easily. How many times a month does blenderartists hear requests for an Elephants Dream torrent? (In case anybody's wondering, there are zero seeders at the moment... any volunteers?) The point is that this content is BIG. There's about 8 gigs worth of ED content, and it's all interdependent, so you really want to have the whole filesystem. I'm sure that BBB will be at least as big an unwieldy. Even with wget and so forth, downloading and storing that stuff is a bit of a pain in the neck, not to mention hosting it. At least enough of a pain to make it worth buying on disk.

And then I guess there's of course 3), which is you get to have a hard copy to stick on your shelf and to show your kids to prove that you were hip to the CC/Open Content thing back before it was cool.

The bottom line though, is if you want to support the Blender Foundation, buy their stuff. If you don't, don't. Beautiful in its simplicity, really.

T

cresshead
05-25-2008, 11:36 AM
well i pre ordered and my name isn't on the credits at the end of the dvd!:D

they must have had a cut off date...bought mine start of jan 2008

still they were quite busy!

Cageman
05-25-2008, 11:51 AM
It's just some short movie about a bunny. What's all the fuzz about?

Uhm...

Maybe you don't know this, but Blender is a totaly FREE 3D-application that anyone can download and produce content with. Seeing Blender being able to produce this quality is something Autodesk, Maxxon, Avid and NewTek should be very affraid off (especially Autodesk with their customer policy). :P

Almost Pixar quality comming out of a FREE 3D-app... (granted, good artists are also needed, of course). :)

This SHOULD make ALOT of FUZZ!

:)

noizFACTORY
05-25-2008, 12:10 PM
Wow, this short really was amazing! Not only was I super excited to watch it, I skipped over to youtube for some demo vids of the coolest FX work I could find!

Check these out:

AMAZING fluid sims, maybe as good as Realflow!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Th7J2fw ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Th7J2fwvfw&feature=related)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AiLyQWX ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AiLyQWXjIg&feature=related)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yEdiIw2 ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yEdiIw2VWY&feature=related)

Physics sim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAeRHgVI ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAeRHgVI3X4&feature=related)

This is really amazing stuff! There's really no excuse to not download Blender and get busy learning it! Amazing work Blender team!

And I plan on watching it a few more times online, AND buying the DVD to support them and continue watching it! Can't wait to see what kind of extras are on the DVD!

Thats some really great sim for a free piece of software. Is its fluid engine really all that powerful? I'm seriously considering having a look at blender for this.

flurp
05-25-2008, 12:12 PM
Uhm...

Maybe you don't know this, but Blender is a totaly FREE 3D-application that anyone can download and produce content with. Seeing Blender being able to produce this quality is something Autodesk, Maxxon, Avid and NewTek should be very affraid off (especially Autodesk with their customer policy). :P

Almost Pixar quality comming out of a FREE 3D-app... (granted, good artists are also needed, of course). :)

This SHOULD make ALOT of FUZZ!

:)

LOL, i seriously laughed my ass off at that comment, dude, Sago is one of the people who made the film!

FlorinMocanu
05-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Actually, he is the artistical brain behind it, while Ton was the managerial brain :)> Blenderbrains :).

VirgilioVasconcelos
05-25-2008, 01:21 PM
LOL, i seriously laughed my ass off at that comment, dude, Sago is one of the people who made the film!

And not only this. He is the director. =)

TheANIMAL
05-25-2008, 01:35 PM
Man, some of the xtras on the DVD are better than the film, which is amazing by itself.

Some of the audio on soem commentary videos is a bit quiet, but thats the only thing i think was wrong, everything else was flawless!

Best place to watch it is in your DVD player, on your TV!!

Cageman
05-25-2008, 01:37 PM

Hehe... didn't know that... It looked like a very ignorant comment to me. Makes me wonder why he made it in the first place? :curious:

olivS
05-25-2008, 01:54 PM
Hehe... didn't know that... It looked like a very ignorant comment to me. Makes me wonder why he made it in the first place? :curious:

Because Sacha is a funny man, who doesn't dislike 2nd degree jokes?

Congrats to all. The DVD is beautiful. The making of is very interesting, and seeing on the same video the animatics, blocked animation, blender view, and final render is absolutely interesting. A must see!

Now delving into the production files...

Cageman
05-25-2008, 02:14 PM
Because Sacha is a funny man, who doesn't dislike 2nd degree jokes?

I'm not a user of Blender so I have very little knowledge about the dudes behind it or this production. The only thing I NEED to know is that it is 1) Capable and 2) Cheap (in this case free). This production shows that it is a very capable tool!

I may make a fool out of myself for this, but it seems that you have to be an initiated Blender fanboy in order to understand some of the humor going on here...

I stand by my comment; an "ignorant" post by someone who is not known to the "outside" world (i.e to someone not initiated in Blender and its usergroup) will get some dirty treatement. :)

Now that I know he is one of the main guys behind this production, I wonder even more about his comment. Why did he only made that single post without thanking everyone who has posted a very possitive comment about the movie? Isn't he proud? Doesn't this make him happy? His he a diva?

Sorry, but this "humor" is not going through over here. :) If people have good things to say, I expect a "Thank you!" from the creator. :)

Simple! :)

neablo
05-25-2008, 02:35 PM
Cageman, of course you're not supposed to know all the Blender people. Sago probably just wanted to bring in a sarcastic comment about the senseless discussion and I'm sure he's very happy he could convince so many people that Blender is such a good tool and of course that so many people see what a good director he is (and good team they are)

cresshead
05-25-2008, 02:36 PM
that's one of the eternal issues with text replies....you can read it several ways and interpret it quite differently from what the poster had intended when he/she wrote it!

oh.... awesome film btw!

DigitalBlaspheme
05-25-2008, 02:49 PM
I loved the movie. Can't wait till I get my DVD for my collection.

To all those that cried about the release timing.....if the fact that it is online for free is the only reason your not going to buy the official copy.....YOU ARE THE PROBLEM. Not the individual who LEGALLY released it online. Maybe you might wanna pretend extra hard in the future that you are "all for" the blender foundation and what they do. If you were you wouldn't be crying because you'd still be getting your DVD to help out anyway. Nothing was done illegally which is why noone that has the right to say anything has. Why not act like you really want to be part of shaping blender into what it could be and buy the DVD ANYWAY, instead of just "pretending" your all for it by writing in your complaints about, "meh I'm mad, someone posted it before I got my DVD so I cancelled my order. Why pay when I can get it free?" <-----THAT is the mentality that KILLS open source endeavors. NOT the fact that others are trying to get the files out to those that had no intention what so ever of buying it, you know...those that might actually be able to do more for blender than bitch about an open source movie being released online before you got your damn cd.

I bought both teh elephants dream dvd and the mandcandy dvd MONTHS after they came out. Why? Partly because of the timeframe I got involved with blender and partly because I wanted to do whatever I could to help blender grow because I'm in no position to try teaching anyone about blender...not yet anyway ;)

Sorry for the rant and the "strong" words, it's nothing really personal, I just hate fanboyism in all its forms....even "pretended fanboyism". Again, if your really for the development of blender you will buy your DVD regardless of the fact that its already online for free....JUST TO HELP THE **** OUT. Thats what it means to be a team player. Quit crying because someone pissed in your OJ....get another glass. The only bad that comes out of this is the reaction of those that think like you. "oh its already online, I'll download, then watch, then post my thoughts and suggestions regarding it even though I've done nothing to contribute myself besides giving those ideas. And hell yeah I expect my suggestions to be taken seriously.....Im a contributer to the community aren't I? C'mon you know I am you saw the shitty tutorial/mesh I threw up for community use. Oh and because I know this one came out early, the next dvd I'm not even going to bother ordering...I'll just wait till it goes hot online for free" Donations make the world go round. Support blender. If you downloaded the mancandy dvd off the web yesterday for free and have no thoughts of getting that dvd or the elephants dream dvd because they're free....YOU ARE THE LEECH THAT IS THE BIGGEST HINDERANCE TO OPEN SOURCE DEVELOPEMENT, unless you're going to use that info to benefit the community.

TonyMullen
05-25-2008, 03:18 PM
YOU ARE WRONG, unless you're going to use that info to benefit the community.

In the hopes of kinda keeping the peace around here before this totally capsizes into a flamewar, I would point out that Kernon (probably the guy you're referring to) does use the info to benefit the community in a big way by hosting and writing the BlenderNewbies tutorial website and by frequently contributing to BlenderNation. Basically, he's a huge contributor in many ways to Blender education and promotion, as well as being one of only a small handful of currently certified Blender trainers. So whether, or when, he decides to buy X or Y product from the BF is really his business and nobody else's, although I admit I don't really follow his reasoning in this case.

But let's not get all at each other's throats. It's obvious that not everybody in here knows who everybody else is, which is totally to be expected. So try to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Why did he only made that single post without thanking everyone who has posted a very possitive comment about the movie? Isn't he proud? Doesn't this make him happy? His he a diva?

If you want my totally armchair psychologists guess, it's that he's a little bit blown away by the attention that he's getting, and he's making self-deprecating jokes to help himself cope with the overflowing of pride and joy in his heart that they finally managed to get this thing done successfully and that people are liking it.

Oh, and yeah, he's a diva.

DigitalBlaspheme
05-25-2008, 03:28 PM
In the hopes of kinda keeping the peace around here before this totally capsizes into a flamewar, I would point out that Kernon (probably the guy you're referring to) does use the info to benefit the community in a big way by hosting and writing the BlenderNewbies tutorial website and by frequently contributing to BlenderNation. Basically, he's a huge contributor in many ways to Blender education and promotion, as well as being one of only a small handful of currently certified Blender trainers. So whether, or when, he decides to buy X or Y product from the BF is really his business and nobody else's, although I admit I don't really follow his reasoning in this case.

But let's not get all at each other's throats. It's obvious that not everybody in here knows who everybody else is, which is totally to be expected. So try to give people the benefit of the doubt.

No, I know both Kernon and yourself, and respect you both very much. My post was more of a generalized rant at everyone that complained pointing out why they were wrong for complaining. I figured the last sentance out of the quote you quoted would have mad it pretty clear who I was talking about. When I said "you're wrong unless you contribute' what I basically meant was if you don't contribute...I'm talking to you. I'm sorry if it seemed as if I was pointing at anyone in particular. But, case in point, would you rather someone download your book offline for free today or would you rather someone pay that little "production" fee you charged for the book so that it provides funding for any future books you may write? If you're totally honest you'd say you'd rather them purchase the book, otherwise why would you have put it up for sale in the first place, you'd have just thrown it up online and been done with it. Sure getting the info out for free is very important....but what is more important is the donations received for that work because that is what makes future work possible.

Lets put this under another set of lights so as not to confuse my meaning. If I spend my free time writing an open source program and I keep a development log so my growing community can keep up with my progress/make suggestions. When I put the final version online, the people that download it for free aren't who may make me say, "screw doing another one" (if thats what I say in the first place) Why? Well, that was my intent...wasn't it? Yes. What MAY make me think about saying screw doing another one is all the people that told me they would help me out by donating to my cause and paying a production cost for that program (after all I did give up a LOT of free time for this project to help you out)....and in the end said, 'why pay for it...its online for free I'll just download it'. Now, after seeing absolutely nothing come in the form of help (donations) the only thing left saying if I'll do another or not is my commitment or my willingness to give up more of my time to a community that will not offer me help because they can get what I offer for free.

cresshead
05-25-2008, 04:00 PM
i know this'll be like talking to a brick wall, but hey...some walls actually listen!...

one of the benefit's of pre paying for the dvd was having the film early compared to 'the free for all' release to the internet download schedualed to start a week to 10 days after the shipments...anyhow that's null n void now as the uploader deleted the file.

i was under the impression that purchasing the dvd helped 'pay' for the production and one of several rewards for paying rather than waiting for the free release would be we get it early...

as for 'crying' now that's a school yard tactic..and having left school in 1979 i'll not bother to comment further...other than to observe it seems to also be the backbone to the story in the animation in question!

DigitalBlaspheme
05-25-2008, 04:28 PM
one of the benefit's of pre paying for the dvd was having the film early compared to 'the free for all' release to the internet download schedualed to start a week to 10 days after the shipments...anyhow that's null n void now as the uploader deleted the file.

i was under the impression that purchasing the dvd helped 'pay' for the production and one of several rewards for paying rather than waiting for the free release would be we get it early...
While this is all very true, there is only ONE reason you had to pay at all. Production. If the only reason for you having to pay was so you could have a copy before the rest of the world that didn't pay, then this open source endeavor would come to the same fate that the rest of the "for profit" companies come to.....pirating. If I offer you something early that I'm planning to release anyway, and everyone gets their copy before you get yours, well then you have a legit reason to complain about everyone receiving thiers first. However, this fee wasn't ONLY so you could receive your's first....so your complaining is just that.

The ONLY thing that this type of complaining helps to promote is similiar thinking. Now that there have been many people, in this thread alone...forget the blender community itself, that have said they're not going to bother buying the next dvd...they'll just get it online.....how many people do you think have been affected by those sentiments? Garunteed there have been people that had no previous blender experience saying we'll forget buying the next dvd I'll just wait till I get it online just because of this way of thinking. People who may have actually ended up purchasing both this dvd and any other future releases....should they have been attracted to blender because of this. But instead they'll be the ones leeching of the community not giving anything back...save the few who don't fit the mold I've "created" here.

I can understand being upset if the only reason you bought the dvd was so you could get it first I really can. However, I dont empathize as I didn't receive my copy yet but you don't see me resorting to complaining about it online. It may be the SOLE reason YOU actually PAID for it (and if thats your mentality see my previous words on being the bane of open source communities), but don't let yourself fool yourself into thinking that getting it before everyone else was the sole reason you were charged for this service. Any for profit company would tell you the same thing I have. Those of you that got your DVD's first...great that's what was expected. Those that didn't....well things happen, we'll try to ensure you get any future purchases in a timely matter, but you wont be refunded because that's not what the money was for. And should you not purchase future software....you must resort to pirating.

Let it be known now that when I recieve my copy it will go up on my sites, unless there is some LEGAL protection against posting it, regardless of if you have your copy or not.

EDIT-
I'm not even sure why you or Mr Mullen, well Mr mullen particularly found something wrong with my words. I only asked him the question I did in light of the fact that he is a well known blender contributor. Hell his words (and the words of the other writers) were the first I read regarding blender. Now going back one page I find he shares the same mentality:
The stuff about getting a week in advance to view the movie is really not why anybody should buy the movie. The BF can't stop people from uploading anyway (it's CC licensed content, folks. That's part of the point... But jeez. Even if they wanted to, Paramount pictures can't even stop people! How would the BF?). There are basically 2 reasons to buy products from the BF.

1) To support the project. In this respect, it's a little like a donation, but not. You're getting a product, and (if you pre-order) you're getting the gratitude of the BF in the form of your name included in the thank you list.

2) Because it's a product worth having on disk. Folks, the DVD will sell out. And when it does, we'll constantly be hearing from people who want the content, and can't download it easily. How many times a month does blenderartists hear requests for an Elephants Dream torrent? (In case anybody's wondering, there are zero seeders at the moment... any volunteers?) The point is that this content is BIG. There's about 8 gigs worth of ED content, and it's all interdependent, so you really want to have the whole filesystem. I'm sure that BBB will be at least as big an unwieldy. Even with wget and so forth, downloading and storing that stuff is a bit of a pain in the neck, not to mention hosting it. At least enough of a pain to make it worth buying on disk.

And then I guess there's of course 3), which is you get to have a hard copy to stick on your shelf and to show your kids to prove that you were hip to the CC/Open Content thing back before it was cool.

The bottom line though, is if you want to support the Blender Foundation, buy their stuff. If you don't, don't. Beautiful in its simplicity, really.

T

Hirazi
05-25-2008, 04:29 PM
Maybe there's some room in this thread to talk about "Big Buck Bunny" itself...
Technically it obviously is quite an achievement. The visual style was well thought through, the characters were quite "loveable", the animations were very well done, BUT apart from two or three jokes, which were able to make me laugh, I didn't particularly enjoy it all that much.
I've probably seen more than enough fluffy animals in CG by now... Who knows?
But then again, I was one of the few people who really liked "Elephant's Dream"! :argh:
My verdict would be: I've seen more enjoyable shorts!
And that's a shame, 'cause I was really looking forward to "Big Buck Bunny". :hmm:

TonyMullen
05-25-2008, 04:42 PM

You were under the correct impression. The DVDs were dispatched by the BF well in advance of the official Internet release. What more, exactly, are you asking for?

I'm not even sure why your or Mr Mullen, well Mr mullen particularly found something wrong with my words. Going back one page you see he shares the same mentality:

No, you're right. I basically agree with you. My point was just that I thought you were being a bit harsh, but I realize from your previous post that I had misunderstood your wording.

Maybe there's some room in this thread to talk about "Big Buck Bunny" itself...

Wish I could, but my DVD hasn't shown up yet... :hmm:

DigitalBlaspheme
05-25-2008, 05:08 PM
My point was just that I thought you were being a bit harsh, but I realize from your previous post that I had misunderstood your wording.

I know I was being harsh (it's the marine in me lol), which is why I apologized for it (something I dont do to often). It just milks my goat when I see people complaining about something like this. Poeple who, more than likely, have done nothing more to contribute to blender than purchasing the dvd. Between the shirts, cups, books, dvd's, and "for no other reason than to help" donations I've done throught (sp?) the months/years I'd feel safe betting my next paycheck that I've donated over $800 towards blender. I know it is more, as one of my donations was $500 by itself, but I can't verify how much in total. Yet here I am, in full understanding (at least in my eyes) of how this system works. So I'm of the mind to question why these people, that probably have only spent $34.00 "contributing" (not really since they only spent it to have bragging rights apparently) are under the assumption they have a right to complain about not getting thier dvd's first, when I've spent enough money to have more than one arguement with my wife and I have not only not received my DVD yet, nor have I stated how unhappy I am about it or how I plan to no longer support the endeavor? And how many others like me are sitting, waiting patiently, and not complaining? Most of these "criers" have outright stated they will not buy another dvd because they didn't get thiers first. If that's not crying....I'm not sure what it is. But meh, whatever, I'll stick to doing what I've been doing and when blender becomes whatever it ends up as at least I can rightfully say with a smile I had at leasts some small part in it. And god willing, hopefully some time soon I can donate something more "important" to the community and less costly to myself lol.

For those that still feel the need to complain please show me where it says YOUR PROMISED ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE DVD WHEN PURCHASING (http://www.blender3d.org/e-shop/product_info.php?products_id=97)

chickensandbeandip
05-25-2008, 05:19 PM
You can find it on youtube now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=allOsEHARo8

toontje
05-25-2008, 05:53 PM
Thats some really great sim for a free piece of software. Is its fluid engine really all that powerful? I'm seriously considering having a look at blender for this.
You should look up the wibesite of the developer. It's really cutting edge stuff:
http://graphics.ethz.ch/~thuereyn/ntoken3/pubs.html

Not all is in Blender of course, other features are dormant in the code. But
a) The developer is still active in Blender
b) It's the same tech is in Realflow (Lattice Boltzman).

And in 2.46, fluid simulation uses all the core. Good news for people with 8 cores in a box :buttrock:

RogerWickes
05-25-2008, 05:54 PM
The purpose of the production of this short was to get artists and developers together in a time-boxed, skunk-works type of project environment in an effort for the developers to see and work side-by-side with power users in order to develop better functionality. This Open Project approach is simply a way to ensure that the Blender Foundation makes new features that are most desired by users in a production environment. So, these new features in Blender are all targeted toward making Blender more useful in a high-pressure, time-boxed environment with extremely small (<6) staff of artists.

That kind of focused effort needs money, in advance, to fund travel and TDY expenses. The main way to fund the project is through pre-sales of a product, and the quality of that product depends on how much money there is to spend. The backlash you read about in this thread is the worry that posting one artifact of the project will damage this Open Project strategy. If there are fewer sales next year, there will be less money to fund development. The DVD presents many artifacts of production that are not shown or contained in the avi: rigs, environments, materials, textures, actions, particle settings, and mesh objects. There is also insight into the production process and workflow. Any improvement over ED is because of better tools, people, and process.

Given that Peach Blender (2.46) contains many animation, rendering, and physics improvements, as demonstrated by the short, then the mission has been accomplished. To me, whether I like the theme or laugh at the jokes is irrelevant. One of the hopeful side effects is that the user community will both improve on the current BBB, and make BBB2 by re-using the assets and everything that is already there. This year, a good product has been made better through a very innovative Open Project. Congratulations everyone!

everlite
05-25-2008, 06:14 PM
I just watched it on youtube and headed over and purchased a copy of the DVD. Im very impressed, looks great and is actually quite funny :)

I really hope people come and support this.

What happened to the other animated film that was in production? something about birds if i remember. That looked really great when i saw it last.

Dave.

pooby
05-25-2008, 06:15 PM
I thought it was very nicely crafted from the CG point of view. congrats to all who worked on it. There really wasn't a weak point technically.

Story structure wise, I thought it was too heavy and slow on the revenge sequence and not enough time on the build up.
If you had 3 more minutes of bullying you'd really be dying for the revenge sequnce, which could have been a lot shorter, sharper and maybe a bit more innovative, pulling in elements that could have been setup earlier in the film rather than off-the shelf traps.
As it was, the revenge was almost so long that you forgot that the little fellas were the nasty ones.

It also could have been edited down to about half the length, as many scenes were drawn out disproportionately long compared to their storytelling point.

DigitalBlaspheme
05-25-2008, 06:23 PM
What happened to the other animated film that was in production? something about birds if i remember. That looked really great when i saw it last.

Dave.
PLUMIFEROS (http://www.plumiferos.com/index-en.php)

OlvaR
05-25-2008, 06:33 PM
hey just watched bbb on youtube and wow i loled so much! this was awesome! nice job guys! i already made my order for the dvd of course! the only thing i expected is that somehow i thought that bbb will be a bigger project (timewise)...i thought it would be at least 20-30 mins :P but thats ok next time i hope even better than this! you make big programs not worthing their money! keep it up!

toontje
05-25-2008, 06:41 PM
I only wanted to say this about uploading prematurely.
On the DVD there is much more content than the short. Sure, the short is the end product, but I don't think you can justify handing over 38 euro's for just on short. I believe that most serious users, really active 3D artist of all sorts are equally interested in the production files, the commentaries etc.

I see allready on this very thread people claiming they are going to order the DVD AFTER they watched the movie on vimeo or youtube. Those who just wanted to see the movie, those weren't even going to buy it anyway. But the word of mouth will spread like wild fire. It WILL attract a X ammount of new Blender users out of all those people following this, which makes the chances bigger that the next project is better funded.

TheMiyamotoMusashi
05-25-2008, 07:25 PM
I saw the trailer and i am sure the hole movie is kick ass too.

But I am not sure about the whole free software thing goin on :

Not to talk about that here , here i started a thread i would love to hear from anyone.

Clicl Here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5171339#post5171339)

Kind Regards, again, great job can't wait to see the whole movie

endi2
05-25-2008, 08:21 PM
CGTalk frontpage and broken link. :( That was a bad idea uploading before the official release. :(

LetterRip
05-25-2008, 08:38 PM
Hi all, would the individuals engaged in the rather offtopic discussion (including myself) be willing to go and remove the irrelevant portions of their post, so that others reading this thread don't have to wade through them? We could just start a thread in the Blender or general discussion thread...

LetterRip

AndHolzmeister
05-25-2008, 10:24 PM
i dont understand people that want the movie not to be on the internet video sites, sorry pals, everything falls on the internet these days, blockbuster movies can be downloaded the day it is on the theaters, (even before as happend in brazil with the elitte troop movie)... so dont use this excuse not to buy a short movie or any thing, from a music cd to a game, everything can be found in the internet, i buy the games and movies that i really want to have in my collection, i rent the others, sorry but i have downloaded a lot of music though in the last few years, no body is perfect, but please dodnt use this as an excuse not to buy the next dvd...

cresshead
05-25-2008, 10:32 PM
nobody is saying is should not be on the internet...it should be, after all it's an open project!

all people are noting is that it SHOULD be when blender said it should...may30th and not be thrown up by someone NOT involved in blender...that just takes away the spotlight of the official release and so dims the prospects of taking FULL advantage of ALL the hard work the animators/modelers and developers put into this project.

the person who put it up respected the wishes of blender.org and deleted the file..

if you can wait a few days so that for example cgtalk can make a proper big splash on this then all if just fine and dandy!

theflash
05-25-2008, 11:07 PM
I am sorry guys not trying to offend anybody but can people please talk more about the movie here than the issue of uploading? Can people discuss that issue in a separate thread? Thanks.

cresshead
05-25-2008, 11:33 PM
sure thing..

just been uploading some of the models/rigs from the dvd..as a extreemly NEW blender user it's really cool to have the opportunity to look at the scenes...it appears that 2.46 doesn't have obj importers/exporters whereas 2.45 does will 2.46 get these in due course?

EDIT!

the installer [exe] doesn't have obj but the zip version does!
cool!

LetterRip
05-25-2008, 11:41 PM
Hmm it looks like the windows installer is not setting the path to the python scripts (which do all of the importers and exporters) correctly,

I'll contact the builder and see if we can get an updated build.

LetterRip

SheepFactory
05-26-2008, 01:16 AM
I removed the plug because the link doesnt work in the first post. When it is uploaded somewhere send one of the mods a PM and it will get plugged again.

TheANIMAL
05-26-2008, 02:29 AM
Thanks Sheep Factory! This thread had fallen into a farse anyway.

LetterRip
05-26-2008, 02:50 AM
Appreciated, sorry for the bother.

LetterRip

DingTo
05-26-2008, 03:29 PM
I have changed the first post now with 2 working links.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=5169837&postcount=1

EDIT: Links removed...some people dislike the links.

Walli
05-26-2008, 04:01 PM
hi,

actually I wanted to wait until I comment, first wanted to see the Highdef on 31st.

But knowing that the first link has been taken down, I am not sure about this:
Not official but ok

I mean, if its okay, why has the movie been removed?
I know itīs an "opensource movie", but still the artists should determine when the animation is released...

Back to topic - I am looking forward to the release and hope for some nice minutes of animation ;-)

DingTo
05-26-2008, 04:15 PM
Hey Walli,
if you read the whole thread, you will see that a few people were a bit angry, that this user has uploaded the film on vimeo. That's why he had deleted it.
The whole DVD is under a Creative Commons licence, so it's legal to share it.

cresshead
05-26-2008, 06:12 PM
it's all about 'timing' :)

offically releaseing the HD video's for download along with ALL the resources from the movie
on and around 31may to gain maximum exposure for Blender.

DigitalBlaspheme
05-26-2008, 06:33 PM
it's all about 'timing' :)

offically releaseing the HD video's for download along with ALL the resources from the movie
on and around 31may to gain maximum exposure for Blender.

This is pretty much pure nonsense. Sorry. Is the 31st special? Nope. So your not getting help from some outside power. Who's going to see it on the 31st? People that EXPECTED it. It being out early means there are thousands of people watching it RIGHT NOW on youtube, instead of AFTER the 31st when it leaks out to the world that pays no attention whatsoever to the cg field.

Just thought about it....not complete nonsense. If they were making profits from this then there would be plenty of reason to do what your describing. But they're not making profits.

cresshead
05-26-2008, 06:45 PM
This is pretty much pure nonsense. Sorry. Is the 31st special? Nope. So your not getting help from some outside power. Who's going to see it on the 31st? People that EXPECTED it. It being out early means there are thousands of people watching it RIGHT NOW on youtube, instead of AFTER the 31st when it leaks out to the world that pays no attention whatsoever to the cg field.

Just thought about it....not complete nonsense. If they were making profits from this then there would be plenty of reason to do what your describing. But they're not making profits.

well that's your opinion of course and not mine:)

it's actually the reverse of what you wrote in that it's 'leaked out now' rather than 31 where blender and the peach project team wrote that it would be out...if you can't wait then watch the lo res youtube version...it;'s like someone leaking out christmas day on nov14th...'the day' is lost down to first person who just can't wait and pressies are spread about from november to december...therefore the impact is lost with drip feeding 'bits'..
at random...and that makes any news story diluted as you have seen already...

santa is due on the 31st for the internet downloads from BBB :thumbsup:

DigitalBlaspheme
05-27-2008, 12:59 AM
There is no difference in impact by some random ppeople leaking it now than the blender foundation officially releasing it, other than in the cg world that is already anticipating this...not the rest of the cg world that knows nothing about it. Look at it by the numbers. How many different links have gone up already vs the ONE that you are waiting for to be put up at blender.org? Even 2 links going up would have been better than 1.

Lets look at it with your xmas example. Who, other than die hard christians, would care when xmas came? The simple fact that it comes at ALL. Is enough for most people. Hell there are those that don't even celebrate xmas on xmas. They exchange gifts before or after due to timing issues. Only the people waiting patiently for the 31st, due to the fact that they EXPECT, christmas on the 31st would even be affected by xmas coming early.

Hell how many people do you think are attracted by the simple fact that this WAS leaked? There are countless people that have already watched this movie and the only reason they watched it was because it came up in a random google/youtube search. Those people are the ones affected by the early release. They weren't going to watch it. You were. And you can STILL wait till the 31st if you want. Wow, talk about anticipation. Everyone wins.

I guess in the end we're just looking at two different sides of the same coin. All in all, my point is that the MORE good exposure blender gets, no matter how, is better in the end for blender. This isn't a for profit organization that will benefit at all by a "timed" release of thier product. Maybe if they were Sony throwing out the PS4 holding the world in anticipation, pushing back the release date once or twice to ensure the product is flawless or hits the shelves every where at once, then yeah....any leaked/pirated products would hurt their profit, especially if that product was flawed in some way.

TonyMullen
05-27-2008, 01:09 AM
My copy arrived yesterday. Great stuff! Congratulations to everybody who worked on it! Animation's terrific and very funny, the story holds the viewer's interest, and the artwork and CG looks great. This is really going to get some attention I think.

cresshead
05-27-2008, 02:14 AM
yeah defo on that!

even as a long term artist with 3dsmax [from max 2.5 in 1999] and lightwave [lightwave7.0 2001]
i now have blender 2.46 installed on a couple of computers along with the BBB content
from the 2 dvd's..i'll be looking into blender and taking it for a spin much more often now it's
reached such fantastic quality in the tools and output it's clearly capable of.

fktt
05-27-2008, 08:30 AM
yeah defo on that!

even as a long term artist with 3dsmax [from max 2.5 in 1999] and lightwave [lightwave7.0 2001]
i now have blender 2.46 installed on a couple of computers along with the BBB content
from the 2 dvd's..i'll be looking into blender and taking it for a spin much more often now it's
reached such fantastic quality in the tools and output it's clearly capable of.
Did you check the Pal Disc, there are a few Video Tuts on it. :)

attanze
05-27-2008, 01:01 PM
Even if I can wach the BBB short befor day of 31, I will wait until Blender Fundation will release the oficial movie in his site in 31. Four days remaining!

odc
05-27-2008, 07:54 PM
After 8 pages of pissing contest regarding the release date are we allowed to talk about the movie itself or would it be considered off-topic?

All things that BBB does for Blender aside (I still think they are cool), the movie itself is so flawed that no one in their right mind would call it pixar-like. And I'm not talking about visuals but the script ideas (if there was a script and not just a bunch of guys coming up with "cool stuff" as they went).

The biggest problem is the big bunny. Why would a man-sized rabbit use traps (and massive amounts of them) to get back at 3 small rodents? Sure, it makes the thing a bit like Wile E. Coyote's antics, but the bunny then coerces the hamster into stepping on a trap using his size, so he would have just smacked him in the first place. (To test it: find a big guy who is also timid and peaceful, then annoy him past his breaking point. Will he start plotting against you or just kick you in the face?)

On the official site there is something about violence in BBB, but it doesn't concern me as much as the sadism that the movie is full of (from killing and picking apart butterflies to bunny torturing the squirrel). With movie's complexity making it fit for 6 year olds and the said sadism making it unsuitable for them - what is the target group age?

And the last thing of the really really bad ones: whose "great idea" was it to show the actual poop come out of the actual bird's actual ass? No, really - own up. I think that people who paid for this have the right to know (I'm not one of them though, so I'll just shut the f up now).

Sago
05-27-2008, 08:26 PM
OneDeadCat, to answer your last question, it was me.

Btw, it would be nice if you warn people that haven't seen the movie yet for spoilers in your post. Thank you.

Sacha

doomdragon
05-27-2008, 08:30 PM
Yes, why would a large creature (like a human) use a trap to catch a rodent (like a mouse)? That's just crazy! Ok the scene with the chinchilla (I think I read it is a chinchilla, not a hamster) is clearly not logical but meant as a joke and I thought it was the funniest scene in the movie, because it had really great animation/expression in it.

About the pooping bird, yeah, I would have expected the screen to fade to black and just play the sound, but I guess that's why they didn't do it. :D

I wouldn't say the story is pixar quality, that gets thrown around way too often anyways, but don't you think you are maybe a tiny bit too negative?

FlorinMocanu
05-27-2008, 08:42 PM
And why not put such things? You talk like some corporate up his ass executive, who would not use such scenes because it would ruin sales or provoke some criticism from the media.

Dude, the movie was made in order to develop the software, Blender. It's a by-product of this development process which lead to 2.46.

And about the poop scene, the way as i see it, i thought it was real funny and shows that this movie adresses to everyone, it's not for small kids or for grown ups.

And believe me, do you think a seven year old does not know how a bird poops? Or would you want to accuse the makers of Tom and Jerry for animal violence and instigation to killing animals?

The movie shows the potential of the software and shows a really nice, funny and amusing story. Take it as it is.

have fun :cool:

VirgilioVasconcelos
05-27-2008, 09:14 PM
Hello, OneDeadCat.

I'm not directly involved with Blender Foundation nor the people involved in this movie creation.

I believe that the main purpose of this movie (as it was with Elephants Dream) is to further develop Blender in a production environment and to show what this app allows you to create. With the movie as a kind of visual argument, more people will be encouraged to adopt Blender inside their workflows (by replacing some apps or working in conjunction with them).

For quite a long time Blender has been referred as an amateurish tool and not suitable for production environments. With those movies I believe that such thinking is no more valid, because the visual quality of them matches most of what we see being made nowadays.

That being said, I believe that there is no specific "target group age", but a "target group": people who work with CG.

To compare it (not only the script, but the visuals) to Pixar is not fair, because of the huge differences both in resources (people, money...) available and the purpose of making movies. Big studios need to sell tickets, DVDs and merchandising stuff, while Blender ones I believe are stated above. ;)

But I think that there is A LOT of things being made professionally around the world, and that doesn't mean exclusivelly Pixar, Blue Sky or DreamWorks. A lot of studios from small to medium size use tools that are considered "professional". The commercial tools have money behind them for advertising, Blender Foundation realized that this advertising can be made with those movies.

For the gag and story choices, I think that there's a clear evolution from the previous movie although there is always room for improvements.

Cheers

blndr08
05-27-2008, 09:36 PM
i second what Virgilio said

the point of these movies is not to compete with Pixar or Dreamworks. as Ton put it, it's to "bring Hollywood to Blender". these projects are done to further Blender and give users tools to create quality products.

cresshead
05-27-2008, 11:23 PM
After 8 pages of pissing contest regarding the release date are we allowed to talk about the movie itself or would it be considered off-topic?

ever heard the term 'fiction' ? :wavey:

fahr
05-27-2008, 11:57 PM
While I personally enjoyed Big Buck Bunny, I do agree with some of OneDeadCat's sentiments (expect I wasn't as bothered by them).

Regarding the bunny's use of traps, it would have made more sense had he tried to attack them with his fists, only to prove he was too slow to catch them. Resorting to traps would make more sense then.

I had no problem with the poop.

The film had pacing issues. It needed much snappier editing. It seemed to linger too long on several gags and shots.

All in all though, a huge improvement over Elephant's Dream, story-wise.

Also, while I feel that this film did a HUGE service to Blender as a tool, I don't feel critisicm of the story should be defended by a "quit whining about the story, it was done to improve blender".

These guys told us a story. It deserves criticism and I think it's a disservice to the storytellers to say "it's ok if it sucked because it made Blender better".

On that note, I think it was a decent story, generally funny and all-in-all enjoyable. A wonderful second effort by the team. They've shown considerable improvement.

On a technical level it was terrific. It gave a lot of much higher budgeted films a run for their money. Special kudos to the character animation and the FUR!

My 2 cents.... enough rambling from me. :)

neablo
05-28-2008, 12:37 AM
Ahem, concerning the target group:
My girlfriend and me, we both love the 2d and 3d animation films, even those with a setting for kids. BBB is a perfect combination of black humor/sadism and funny feel good child movie.
Sometimes the junior movies are much too soft and let's take Happy Tree Friends in contrary: THATs too much violence and kids setting at the same time.

L33tace
05-28-2008, 01:08 AM
Wow 9 pages, so I take it ye all got your DVDs and loved the movie :twisted:

Well I love my DVD, (got it yesterday) and the movie, watched it a couple of times and the takeouts were an added bonus. Going to check out the rest of the DVD later.

Great work one and all :)

TheANIMAL
05-28-2008, 01:54 AM
Some poeple have been having a few problems with the DVD, but otherwise its a good buy, although technically i won mine in a blender competition. Otherwise, the DVD is really great!!
Ton NEEDS TO SPEAK LOUDER IN THE COMMENTARY, or move the mic closer to him, one or the other, bless him, he may have given the world blender, but he still cant speak english clearly.

cresshead
05-28-2008, 06:32 PM
i think BBB is quite similar to wile e coyote and road runner, tom and jerry, silvester the cat wacky races and other 40's/50's and 60's cartoons more than the more 'politically correct'
recent 3d animations.

Papa Lazarou
05-28-2008, 07:47 PM
Out of respect for the people who bought the dvd, I'll hold off watching this till the official release. And the official release should really get a new thread. This thread is messed up.

fktt
05-29-2008, 12:15 PM
And the official release should really get a new thread. This thread is messed up.

+1 Got to agree with that.

everlite
06-01-2008, 05:38 PM
I received the DVD in the post the other day (fast delivery) and so far looks great. Gotta say, love the shot with the wings, very funny :) and the rest is all equally as entertaining, cool out takes too, though would have loved to have seen more.

Interested to see the game they have in production, hope that has equal amount of humor.

Best,
Dave.

CGTalk Moderation
06-01-2008, 05:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.