PDA

View Full Version : Overlapping UV question...easy.

Dharroun
05-24-2008, 05:45 PM
I have recently discovered that overlapping UV's are not accepted in Zbrush and Im gathering this is because of the normal mapping feature...

Can my texture map have overlapping UV's in areas I dont want to add detail to?

Some areas were kinked or folded over themselves, like inbetween fingers and tight areas. How might I solve this so i can go into Zbrush and begin to add some finer details.

Thanks.

olivierth
05-24-2008, 06:25 PM
The best is always to unwrap the whole uvs but if you REALY don't care about some peices.... just fix the normal in photoshop by putting the RGB value 128, 128, 255 on the non-important peices.

But if those non-important uv peice overlaps any important peice, you have to fix that in the UVs! And don't forget this affects any maps you'll be putting on the thing. So like I said, the best is to take the time to unwrap it all. Specialy with those easy unwraping tools we have now.

Good luck!

Dharroun
05-24-2008, 06:41 PM
I guess this could be a UV question now but if I decide to leave a seam in those difficult areas where things got overlapped does that mean that my normal maps and displacement maps will have a seam there too? Or does Zbrush have an ability to ignore those seams?

I know from experience that with photoshopped textures I would just avoid any details across seams to convince the eye that its all one seamless character come render time.

Maybe a little mo' help but otherwise thanks for the advice!

olivierth
05-25-2008, 05:50 PM
That's the magic of zbrush! I also tryed to have the less seams possible so it would be easier to work within photoshop before I knew about ZB. But with zbrush, the seams won't show so your goal is not to have the less seams but to have it so the checker looks good on it.

Experiment, you'll see!

Dharroun
05-25-2008, 06:33 PM
Thanks! Will do.
I have been using Headus UV layout and am also getting into Zbrush more these days too. I managed to grdauate from school right before they introduced ZB into the curriculum....Luckily the web is full of tutorials!

CGTalk Moderation
05-25-2008, 06:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.