PDA

View Full Version : XSI Foundation limit

Defqon
05-24-2008, 03:08 PM
he there thinking on buying xsi XSI Foundation but doint really know what the limits are vs the the 2 pro versions of xsi and if there is a big diferens whit 3ds max 08 and 09

i know xsi foundation woint have Hair, Fur and Cloth and a limit on rendering but are there more things i need to look out for whit Foundation

ore shut i wait for xsi 7 ? (wane that comming btw ?)

mocaw
05-24-2008, 05:04 PM
You can find a comparison chart on the softimage site. FND has far fewer features than Ess or Adv. BUT that doesn't mean it's not full of features on it's own- the FND of XSI is where a lot of the power and the praise comes from.

As far as with MAX, that probably depends on what you already know, and what you need to do- you will get a mostly biased answer from XSI users though- because many of us loathe max for many reasons.

If you are unsure of your needs you can always buy FND and then if you decided that you need some of the features of Ess or Adv that you need, you can put the money spent on FND towards one of the more robust versions. Don't forget about the 30day trial version, and the modtool to help you decide.

Seven is rumored to be coming soon. If you get on a subscription version of ess or adv. there is no reason to wait though if you need to start working NOW.

ActionArt
06-06-2008, 02:41 PM
I can't seem to find any comparison chart. Anyone know where that is?

animateddave
06-06-2008, 02:59 PM
http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/pdf/XSI_6_x_ComparisonChart.pdf

ndog
06-06-2008, 03:02 PM
Beat me to it.

Defqon
07-08-2008, 06:35 PM
looks like i havent done the best thing here waiting on xsi 7 the dropt the foundation version :(

XSI 7 ESSENTIALS wil be $2995,-

XSI 7 ADVANCED will be $4995,- (wtf)

there is no foundation :(

http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/

ActionArt
07-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Yes, I was just reaching for my card to buy it and they do this! I'm not happy with that at all. Now it's out of my price range.

ActionArt
07-08-2008, 07:35 PM
This pretty much eliminates small shops, single artists, hobbyists and the like.

Obviously they don't care or even want to get rid of us. I suppose we're too much trouble for the money :( Maybe it's easier to chase the big shops and big dollars.

revert
07-08-2008, 07:46 PM
I don't quite get this comment. What exactly are small shops, single artists using right now? I think there's plenty small shops and single artists who own applications such as Maya, 3ds Max, C4D etc.

If i want Essentials and i don't have the money right now, i'll find a way. Whether that is working extra hours, sell something less important to me, borrow, whatever means. I certainly won't sit around feeling sorry for myself and complain it's now out of my reach.

This pretty much eliminates small shops, single artists, hobbyists and the like.

Obviously they don't care or even want to get rid of us. I suppose we're too much trouble for the money :( Maybe it's easier to chase the big shops and big dollars.

cgswami
07-08-2008, 11:21 PM
Damn Straight

ActionArt
07-10-2008, 05:42 PM
Yes, you're right, I should quit whining. I was sort of hoping that if enough people protested, they might be swayed to bring it back but if everyone it happy to pay, I guess they won't.

They have put a massive effort into development so I can understand the price. I just liked the old system where they had a very reasonable entry fee where you could used it, get used to it and upgrade when and if you wanted. For me, it was one of the main attractions.

For most shops around here (not an animation center) it's a bit of a hit. If you need say 3 seats, that's close to 10 grand. Are they going to make that much more if they make the switch? Around here, no. Or in my example, that's another 50 LE prints I have to sell. Economically, it doesn't work out. I guess I should have said it's more than I'm WILLING to pay.

Yes there are shops around here that use Maya and Max. I should say there were. Most are broke now. Many creative shops get stars in their eyes about the gear and overspend. There is a market for a good "foundation" type product I think. Obviously, they don't.

Sorry for the rant, I was just hoping that they might reconsider.

ChrisDNT
07-10-2008, 07:42 PM
By the way, thanks to all who said for months "if you are not in a hurry, wait for Foundation 7".

:-(

AnonyMouse
07-10-2008, 08:31 PM
http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/1345/gadove1hn4.jpg

cresshead
07-10-2008, 08:57 PM
for alternatives in and around the old xsi foundation price point are

messiah + silo [animation/rendering plus a modeler]
blender [free]
lightwave
cinema4d base [no advanced renderer or mocca]
electric image
carrara

it would have been nice to have had foundation 6.0 still available for purchase for a couiple of weeks so that thoses who were at least waiting for 7.0 had the opportunity to get onboard with xsi even with a soon to be retired foundation 6.0...they may have upgraded
to essentials eventually...who knows!...still it's softimage's decision and i guess they discussed it at length before deciding to pull it from sale as soon as they announced xsi7 even though it's not shipping yet.

shadowedge
07-11-2008, 01:46 AM
Hi everyone.

Foundation issue aside.... The link to the comparison chart PDF seems to have changed. I just need to know, is ICE available for Advanced only? Or will there be a toned down version of it in ESS?

Thanks

J

stblair
07-11-2008, 02:13 AM
Hi everyone.

Foundation issue aside.... The link to the comparison chart PDF seems to have changed. I just need to know, is ICE available for Advanced only? Or will there be a toned down version of it in ESS?

Thanks

J

Advanced includes all the features of Essentials plus the following:
- 5 Batch licenses
- Behavior
- 4 more processing tokens (xsibatch -processing)

So, ICE is the same in Adv and Ess.

shadowedge
07-11-2008, 02:19 AM
So, ICE is the same in Adv and Ess.

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice! Thank you!

That really made my day. :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
07-11-2008, 02:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.