PDA

View Full Version : Video Game Models

warhawk887
05-23-2008, 09:33 PM
Hey guys, im pretty new at Modeling. well been trying to self teach my self for like oh.. 1year but havnt gotten far i will post a video of what i got so far later. but anyways. i want to become a 3d modeler for video games. And i was just wondering whats the poly Count usally for them? and im talking anout for in-game not cinematic ones. also for the 360, PS3 or PC. Im a Freshman in High school. So Self teaching is kinda hard. but i know i want to do this and i just need some help cause i make things but the poly counts are wicked high.

-DT-
05-27-2008, 04:53 PM
im not a 3D person in gaming field... but if im not mistaken, it is pretty much depending on which type of gaming modeling u doing for...

u cant expect a character in strategy game such as starcraft, warcraft are the same poly as the character in 1st person shooting game like COD4, quake war etc right?

warhawk887
05-27-2008, 06:23 PM
thats true. so i will narrow my question done to. what is the average poly count for character in high detailed games such as COD4 and Gear of War.

RPM
06-08-2008, 08:04 AM
hi warhawk ..
i have just recently bought the d'artiste - character modeling 2 ..
and kevin lanning the guy who created the gears of war models says :

wretch : 10,292
boomer : 10,952
macus fenix : around 15,000

i would think the amount of detail a character would have, would be determined by where he his going to appear in the game.

-DT-
06-10-2008, 06:35 PM
wretch? boomer? macus fenix?

i don quite get it... what are those? @.@

warhawk887
06-10-2008, 07:18 PM
there monsters and main charater of Gears of war.

Giap
09-27-2008, 03:46 AM
Hey guys, im pretty new at Modeling. well been trying to self teach my self for like oh.. 1year but havnt gotten far i will post a video of what i got so far later. but anyways. i want to become a 3d modeler for video games. And i was just wondering whats the poly Count usally for them? and im talking anout for in-game not cinematic ones. also for the 360, PS3 or PC. Im a Freshman in High school. So Self teaching is kinda hard. but i know i want to do this and i just need some help cause i make things but the poly counts are wicked high.

Actually, the numbers of polygon is not really high as you think. Nowadays, most details you see were faked by the normal map so even though a plan with 2 triangle can give a massive details if it is mapped with a huge normal map with tone of detail has been generated from a highres polygon. So yeah, depend on the lead artist, he or she will require you a specific number of polygon on the parts of the character. Then that low polygon will be mapped by the normal map and then it will look like a higres one again (almost) :D

-DT-
09-27-2008, 04:48 PM
is there any specific software to use to generate normal map?
how do we create those normal map??

Bouke285
10-18-2008, 04:15 PM
http://www.nfscars.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21953

This shows you how to create a normal map in 3ds max. Zbrush helps a lot for the process as well

CGTalk Moderation
10-18-2008, 04:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.