PDA

View Full Version : Animating frame Output Size...

Kramsurfer
05-23-2008, 05:36 PM
I know the output size is non-animatable and non changable once the renderer is started, but I was just wondering if anyone found a hacky way to do this? Or do I need to submit a whole bunch of seperate jobs to a queue.....

Thanks...

davestewart
05-23-2008, 05:51 PM
I've written a couple of tools in my time that might help you. Can you be more specific, and I'll see if I can dig them out?

Kramsurfer
05-23-2008, 05:54 PM
I've an animated FOV on a camera and I want the output Image Size to scale with the increase or decrease in FOV.

Thanks

davestewart
05-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Ah, OK. The things I've written wouldn't do that - they were more for storing all sorts of render settings as presets.

Seems like it would be pretty easy to just write a little script?

for t = animationrange.start to animationrange.end do
(
slidertime = t
-- get fov
-- do trig
-- do width / height
-- filename = ""
render to:filename size:[width,height]
)

Kramsurfer
05-23-2008, 06:03 PM
Yeah, I guess individual local renders are an idea, we've a pretty good size farm here so our Animation Sup. doesn't like to see local renders.... "You could be modeling, texturing or lighting something..." whip whip.... ha ha...

davestewart
05-23-2008, 06:29 PM
I don't know if you an submit stuff to the renderfarm by script, but another option might be to render full size, with a key-green mask (geometry or something), then do the cropping in Photoshop with actions.

You just need to go "record" > Magic Wand the top left corner > Invert selection > Crop > Stop recording, then run the action as a batch job from the file menu.

Should be pretty straightforward.

Strange request anyway - why do you want different sized images?

Kramsurfer
05-23-2008, 06:56 PM
For a Pan Tile type tool to render nodal pans.
You have a camera in a 3d scene that is doing a nodal pan. aka it doesn't move, just rotates.

You can render overlapping "Cards" to cover the entire pan in with a few carefully selected frames. Those cards need to be bigger than cameras FOV, and it's handy if you can change the size of each card individually.

So I have a right turning pan of 100 degree ending looking up 50 degrees, I might need three cards. The first and last card are 10% bigger than the orginial animation Camera, the middle card is 20% bigger. You can spend your render time on three stills, then "paint" on these cards to add whatever, and render the final animation scanline.

Good page on the technique.
http://www.digitalartform.com/archives/2004/11/nodal_point_pan_2.html

Att: image of a test scene and the tool

davestewart
05-24-2008, 08:55 AM
Ah, I see now. Quicktime has successfully been doing this for years: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/technologies/qtvr/

There's some software here as well, if you think any of it might be useful in other areas: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/resources/tools/qtvr.html

The whole 20% thing is a bit of a red herring I think, as is the multiple overlapping aspect. Although I get now why you want different-sized cards to paint onto.

Anyway, I hope you're having fun!

Dave

CGTalk Moderation
05-24-2008, 08:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.